Solving deck joist problems

Old 03-23-14, 12:23 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Solving deck joist problems

Many wonder if their joists are too long, thick enough, whether they should be doubled, should they use a post and beam. Quick solution, using 4' oc joists, saving that money for something else.......like decking

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 2044
Size:  22.1 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-14, 02:03 PM
Group Moderator
Take the tags off the ends and I like the look. I bet they had a hard time finding so many that were nice and straight.

You know, one thing the span tables don't address is a solid deck of 2x4s

Old 03-23-14, 02:12 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Throw a picture back in a year or so when the decking shrinks and begins to dry out. Nailed every 4' will not be enough to hold it steady and prevent warping. It also will be interesting to see how uniform the shrinkage is between boards. As it is now, there is no drainage built in. This is a "time will tell" scenario.

Old 03-23-14, 03:32 PM
How did they fasten them "down"??? 3 1/2" plus hold down capability, they had to use 5" Timberlocks.

Old 03-23-14, 08:31 PM
Reminds me of home inspection nightmares I have seen on another website. The look isn't bad but the extra weight certainly needs to be factored in. I agree drainage would be a real problem for this but it is fascinating. One thing though I don't like though is that step down a little too low.

Old 03-24-14, 03:38 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Looks nice ...... for now bet it won't stay that way

Old 03-24-14, 04:13 AM
I like that look a LOT. But as others have said, keeping it looking that way is going to be a challenge. I wonder if it would help stabilize everything by running a 2x4 laid flat every 16" to 24" below the deck and running screws up into each piece of decking. Although, as I think about it, the deck boards still may want to tip as they warp. And can you imagine how much work that would be even with an impact driver?!

It does have my brain working, though, because I like that look. For new construction, maybe some kind of spacer (non-wood) between each piece of decking. With access to a book on wood beam design, it would be a relatively easy calculation to determine how far a 2x4 on edge would span and what the joists/beams would have to be.

Old 03-24-14, 04:26 AM
Please don't expend too much energy on this as it isn't built properly, and I just noticed the photo lacked the normal credit. From ThereIFixedit.com, or how NoT to do things.

Old 03-25-14, 01:55 AM
I agree it really isn't built properly the weight of all of the flooring alone will make this fall apart in short order. I would assume though if engineered right you could get a look something like that only built the right way and not the wrong way. It would be too much work for me though I helped a bit when our contractor fixed our porch that was improperly made by some other people and that took a while to do! Imagine the time it took to do this poorly constructed deck.

Old 03-26-14, 06:45 AM
Looks like old bridge decking I use to work on. Creosote soaked 2"X4" that spanned the bridge. Nailed every 1' and pieces of angle iron nailed into the 2"X4" and welled to the metal span beams. Was really a pleasure to work on those decks on a hot humid day!

Old 03-26-14, 07:14 AM
Group Moderator
I'm just thinking how nice the deck would look with some fancy South American hardwoods. Mighty expensive but it sure would look nice.