I thought it was spring

Old 03-25-14, 04:23 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I thought it was spring

I thought it was spring and was shocked this morning when I looked out and saw almost an inch of snow .... and it's 38 degrees

Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-14, 04:26 AM
Group Moderator
Hmmm, 75 and rainy today; looks like Spring to me.

Old 03-25-14, 05:02 AM
Spring was cancelled for the Northeast.

Old 03-25-14, 05:12 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
... and the temp has dropped 6 degrees in the last hour

Old 03-25-14, 05:32 AM
Super Moderator
It's in the 20's here and waiting for the snow to come!

Old 03-25-14, 07:04 AM
I'm closer to the coast and last I saw was 5 to 8 inches tomorrow. We have over 2' on the ground and it is so solid I can walk right across the top. BUT starting Friday it looks like mid 40's from there on, as long as they don't change their mind spring may come tiptoeing in.

But my experience in retail in Maine says a good snowy winter leads to a good spring business rush and it has been a long time since we had a winter like this one. We will see.

Bud

Old 03-25-14, 08:34 AM
Spring?? Where?

Balmy -13.8 F sunday night, -4.5 last night and supposedly -11 tonight.

Never in my 62 years do I remember pretty much every city asking everyone, homes and businesses, to leave their water run.

City of Virginia (pop. 8,600) put an ad in the paper asking everyone to leave the water run till the end of APRIL.

Biwabik raised their base rate from 4,000 to 24,000 gallons a month.

Heard our city guys, whilst fixing another broken line, say that the frost in down over 8 feet.

Even though the snow is 3 to 4 feet deep it is freezing under the plowed streets so the cost goes to the city. $$$$

Thanks everyone for leaving your water run, don't shut it off yet!

Yes indeedie, the winter from hell.

Old 03-25-14, 09:02 AM
Super Moderator
I am sooooo glad I moved here. 79 and sunny today...same as yesterday. I miss my old neighbors and good seafood...but not winter.

Old 03-25-14, 09:46 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
We got 1.5" of snow but most of it has melted and now it's snowing hard again at 38 degrees it's supposed to be down in the teens tonight but the forecast for the weekend looks good

I like winter when it's normal - snow for a few days, a few times a year, but this winter isn't normal

Old 03-25-14, 11:02 AM
I am sooooo glad I moved here. 79 and sunny today...same as yesterday.

If I could get over my fear of rattlers and huge spiders I'm just about ready to move there. You don't have gators do you?

Old 03-25-14, 11:20 AM
Super Moderator
Baldwin...Unless you live out in the boonies or the valley...snakes and big spiders aren't an issue. Down south they have tarantula migrations...but they're harmless. Up here we have black widows...but they're just a nuisance and a few sprays each year eliminates the problem. No gators...but gila monsters out in the desert. I did see a coyote run down my street early one morning...but that was a one time event in the 7 yrs I've been here.

Old 03-25-14, 01:30 PM
I thought it was spring too and it really is but from what our weather people say here it isn't uncommon for snow to be this late. With the suns angle though even though it is cold enough to snow it doesn't stick to the pavement long, my kind of snow. I really don't care for shoveling snow I used to like it when I was younger but not now and it seems like it has snowed almost every week. I would clean the snow up and then more would come. Further north though the storm is really going to be brutal.

Old 03-25-14, 01:45 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
It has snowed hard on and off today. I suspect if the temps were below freezing it would be knee deep No longer than it took to lower the window and get the mail out of the box, my jeep's dash turned white.

Old 03-25-14, 02:02 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Lived in Phoenix 10 years sorry I moved back to NC. Loved no time change and temps even in the summer. Hate the snow.

Old 03-26-14, 07:09 AM
In WNY, we have had so much cold weather that many people with open areas have had pipe freeze 4' in the ground. Gurney's must use a computer to send out many of their plants. Sent in an order hoping they would wait till warmer weather to send out plants. We got a cherry tree in the mail and the ground is still frozen down 3' (neighbor had to dig up water line and last week and had to dig through 3' of frozen soil to reach it). I sent a letter to Gurney's and they sent a form letter what to do with plants that need to be stored for planting in the future. The instructions are good for helping a tree survive 2 weeks. With the temperature holding at 20F, I think it will be more than a few weeks for 3' of soil to thaw!

Old 03-26-14, 07:24 AM
Super Moderator
We lucked out and only got a little less than half an inch, and only on grass and cars. A little cold and windy, but not as bad as I thought.
I'm glad I don't live in New England (east part, anyway). They're really getting it.