Day starting good

Old 03-25-14, 02:44 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Day starting good

An older gent at church Sunday asked if I would come by his house today. I figured he needed something moved, as they had recently put it under contract. He did....a trailer full of red cedar, cherry and cypress planks, all planed and over 40 years old. His dad gave it to him. He gave it to me

Eat your heart out Brant and Z.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-14, 02:49 PM
Congrats. Post pictures of your projects.

RR

Old 03-25-14, 03:57 PM
Gotta hook to the dovetail in the morning to pick it up, then build air racks under the barn shed to stack it on.....THEN the projects begin. Can't wait.

Old 03-25-14, 04:24 PM
Oh my! The nice part of this gift is, he gave it to someone who cares. I shudder to think about where that might have gone.

Bud

Old 03-25-14, 04:26 PM
Group Moderator
Wow. I think I'd build a new shed to put it all in. Nice!

See, going to church has its benefits! LOL

Old 03-25-14, 04:29 PM
Group Moderator
WOW..... that's quite a gift.

Old 03-25-14, 05:10 PM
Forum Topic Moderator

You realize I'm not THAT far away.... Would love to help you move the "gift". I'll bring my own trailer.......

Awesome - You set the bar high, I'm really gonna have to test my clients to see if they can match...

Old 03-25-14, 08:56 PM
Group Moderator
I did get a used Ethan Allen curio from a customer a few months ago. Looked it up online and it originally sold for $3300. Wish I had a place for it other than in my storage shed... its a nice piece, although the finish is kind of outdated.

I'll trade you, Larry... jk/ lol

then build air racks under the barn shed to stack it on.....
...then go buy several new sets of planer knifes for my thickness planer...

Old 03-26-14, 01:47 AM
I think that is a great gift too Larry your friend is very generous. I hear some woodworkers prefer air dried wood to kiln dried. My friend from Tennessee who had lived here in Maryland about a couple of years ago or so built a huge out building large enough to store his mobile home in. Anyway to get the building built trees had to come down and he had someone mill the wood for him onsite.

Old 03-26-14, 03:32 AM
Brant, not only knives, I need a motor!, burned mine up a few months ago. Ridgid with lifetime warranty...think Ridgid will return your calls and emails?? Not. Authorized repair facility won't accept it without Ridgid OK. Catch 22.

Richard. Luckily my property adjoins a lumber mill owned by the nicest people. They have cut trees for me on a barter system before. The main reason I want to air stack it is to keep moisture from forming between the lumber. Heck, it't 40 years old, so it is dry.

Thanks for all the comments. I feel blessed.

Old 03-26-14, 04:29 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I'm glad the old guy had sense enough to see that it went to someone who'd appreciate it! I've been around too many idiots that would have looked at it as trash and lit a match

Old 03-26-14, 04:52 AM
Yeah, to some it would look like kindling......8" wide 10' long kindling Grain is impeccable. Oh, there was a few pieces of wormy chestnut in the mix, too. I forgot. That's the last thing he said as we departed yesterday. He wanted to make sure it went to someone who appreciated it....and I do. As I said it is all planed, just needs edge joining, which I can do on the jointer. Some still has bark on the edges. OK, I'm excited.

Old 03-26-14, 11:31 AM
I would like to see pictures of your finished projects with the wood when you get a chance Larry. It sounds like great wood and wormy chestnut just has extra character!

Old 03-26-14, 03:11 PM
Just a couple of pictures of the load. Can't load more than 5. Trailer load, cherry, wormy chestnut, cypress

Name:  load of wood.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  49.5 KB
Name:  cherry.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  41.3 KB
Name:  one and seven eights inch cypress.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  31.8 KB
Name:  wormy chestnut.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  20.3 KB
Name:  cypress wide.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  42.3 KB

Old 03-26-14, 04:14 PM
So what are you going to make for him and/or the church as a thank you?

Bud

Old 03-26-14, 04:45 PM
Group Moderator
Ridgid with lifetime warranty...think Ridgid will return your calls and emails??
I brought a Rigid tool back to Home Depot and they replaced it on the spot. Maybe try that.

Its great to see nice things happen to nice people for a change.

Old 03-26-14, 05:14 PM
I don't know, yet, Bud. I'm thinking of a picture frame for their Sunday School Class, or a framed white board with wormy chestnut or cherry.

I asked about returning it to HD, Scott, but they wouldn't take it back, and I had to go through Ridgid. I have a local guy who says it is the armature and they can fix it in their motor shop. I'll probably take him up on the deal and just call it even. I need the planer.

Old 03-28-14, 07:13 PM
That was real nice of him and some real nice lumber. Beings it's 40 years old I can imagine how beautiful it would look when in a finished project.

Old 03-28-14, 07:44 PM
Super Moderator
Had a buddy back in VA who was a custom cabinet maker on the side. He did some side side work for an old guy and the guy gave him a 6' tall stack of rough milled walnut. Not cut to board size or anything...just the trunk and big limbs sawed to about 2" thickness. Some of the pieces were 2-3ft wide. Had it in his garage for 30 yrs and never got around to doing anything with it. Man...it was the most beautiful wood I'd ever seen.