Somebody Stole My Generator!

Old 03-30-14, 08:29 AM
Angry Somebody Stole My Generator!

I woke up this morning by my mom asking where my orange generator went. Ran outside, looked over by the patio and it was gone. $660 generator, $38 worth of gfci's, my "headlight", tank, extension hose, all gone. Who could be so low?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-14, 08:54 AM
Super Moderator
Sorry to hear that Justin...but some people will steal anything not nailed down. I've had unused flower pots stored on my back porch go missing. Was it chained down?

I'd check local pawn shops over the next few days.

Old 03-30-14, 08:57 AM
Super Moderator
I had someone steal about $2,000 worth of power tools, including a big, heavy table saw, out of my locked shed a couple years ago.
Yep, people are that low!
My insurance company paid for replacing all of it, so got brand new stuff out of it.
I'd imagine your insurance co. will do the same. Make sure you file a police report.

Old 03-30-14, 09:53 AM
Was it chained down?
Sadly, it wasn't. Normally I keep it in either my covered truck bed or garage, but it was cooling from the day.

I'd check local pawn shops over the next few days.
I plan on checking them, as well as craigslist and ebay. Mine is hard to miss because it has the light u-bolted and expoxied to the front.

I had someone steal about $2,000 worth of power tools, including a big, heavy table saw, out of my locked shed a couple years ago.
Yep, people are that low!
My insurance company paid for replacing all of it, so got brand new stuff out of it.
I'd imagine your insurance co. will do the same. Make sure you file a police report.
That's a shame, at least insurance covered it. Right now I'm hoping they cover it, otherwise they will be getting quite a few claims of food lost due to power outages, as they happen frequently here. My dad is filing a police report first thing tomorrow, and lucky for me he works in the crime room for the state police .

Old 03-30-14, 09:56 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I hate a thief!! but they are out there Best you can do is make an effort to secure what you can. Hope this is the last time you are crook's victim

Old 03-30-14, 10:01 AM
Group Moderator
That is unfortunate Hopefully you'll spot it in the area.

Old 03-30-14, 11:20 AM
Group Moderator
That bites! Since you've modified it it should be easy to spot. I'd go looking about the next time there is an outage.

Why was the generator sitting outside? Was it chained to something secure? Generators are a hot theft item especially if there have been power outages. You just can't leave them sitting around especially if they have wheels so they can be quietly rolled away.

Old 03-30-14, 11:38 AM
Definitely report it to the police. Not sure if they'll be able to proactively do much, but at least get a file started. You never know when patterns arise. Some police forces have units dedicated to keeping an eye on pawn shops too. You never know.

When I lived in Vancouver here in Canada, every day I had to completely remove all my paint gear from my vehicle and bring it in the house. Junkies would break into a vehicle to get a pop can if they could. Get 20 or 30 of them and you get enough for a hit of crack.

Sad, but this is the reality of the modern world.

Old 03-30-14, 01:27 PM
Best you can do is make an effort to secure what you can. Hope this is the last time you are crook's victim
This isn't the first time something was stolen. One Halloween, someone took all the lights off one bush, wrapped them neatly in a pile, just for the one string on the very bottom.

That bites! Since you've modified it it should be easy to spot. I'd go looking about the next time there is an outage.

Why was the generator sitting outside? Was it chained to something secure? Generators are a hot theft item especially if there have been power outages. You just can't leave them sitting around especially if they have wheels so they can be quietly rolled away.
It'll be real easy to spot considering there's a bright green LED I added to it, as well as the floodlight holder on the front.

The generator was sitting outside cooling off, earlier in the night I cleaned the deep fryer, which needs a 240V outlet. Believe it or not, a lot of people around here leave their generators on their porches, patios, etc. Mine was in the backyard behind a large bush that separates my yard from the alley way. During most of January, it as well as my other 2 were sitting back there as they were being used almost every other night for my sledding lights.

Definitely report it to the police. Not sure if they'll be able to proactively do much, but at least get a file started. You never know when patterns arise. Some police forces have units dedicated to keeping an eye on pawn shops too. You never know.
My dad said the amount of stolen stuff found during searches is unbelievable. Hopefully it'll come up there or in a pawn shop. I'm just worried it's going to get scrapped.

Old 03-30-14, 01:33 PM
Group Moderator
I'm just worried it's going to get scrapped.
I would doubt someone would scrap a working generator.

Mine was in the backyard behind a large bush that separates my yard from the alley way.
Pretty well hidden..... sounds like maybe an inside job. Somone knew you had them there..... not just a passer by who couldn't see it.

Old 03-30-14, 02:03 PM
I would doubt someone would scrap a working generator.
I've already seen people scrap perfectly good trucks and farm equipment, so it wouldn't surprise me.

Pretty well hidden..... sounds like maybe an inside job. Somone knew you had them there..... not just a passer by who couldn't see it.
I wouldn't be too surprised if one of the neighbors' buddies took it.

Old 03-30-14, 02:29 PM
Super Moderator
I think a large majority of theft is done by someone you know or nearby. My shed is pretty well hidden and the only one that was targeted, so definitely someone that knew what was in there.
The problem is finding the one that did it!
Even if he had it chained up, that would have not stopped someone that really wanted it. At least not around here.

Old 03-30-14, 02:47 PM
I am sorry to hear about your stolen generator they are really important to have especially during really bad weather. Did you mark the generator with your drivers license number or perhaps another family members drivers license number if it wasn't yours but considered the families? The police in my area tell you to do that with all of your valuables as that way they can get the property back because there is proof then of ownership. It doesn't matter either that your dad is a police officer because police property rooms usually go straight by the book.

If however you have the serial number and if your dads police department sends things to be auctioned off then you might be able to get it back before it goes on auction. There is a website called Propertyroom.com use their contact us form at the bottom of the page and describe your generator to them.

Here is a link to their web page Online Auctions for Jewelry, Watches, Coins & Bullion, Electronics, Fashion, Fine Art, Vehicles,Cars and More! Great Deals, Buy Now | PropertyRoom.com I buy occasionally from them but am not posting this to advertise for them. They will really look to see if your property ends up there and if it does make every effort to get it returned. Once you contact them they will want a picture too but wait until they e-mail you. This is run by the way by retired police officers.

Old 03-30-14, 03:26 PM
I had my name, phone number, address, zip code on the generator. Thankfully the large generator was locked in the garage because that's the one I need to run the house and yard sales. Thanks for the auction listing.

Old 03-30-14, 05:42 PM
You are welcome Justin hopefully you get it back one way or the other. While you are there you might want to see if you find something you like. Good bargains not really an endorsement just for your information.

Old 03-31-14, 05:22 AM
Group Moderator
A couple years ago a trailer was stolen from my work parking lot at about 10am on a weekday. It just happened to be a time when nobody was around and poof it was gone. The police thought it was probably going to be scrapped but a year later I got a call from the State Police a state away. Someone had tried to register my trailer and they impounded it. So, occasionally you can get lucky and get your stuff back.

The longer part of the story is that getting my trailer back cost about what I paid for it. It took several days for them to do their official thing to release the trailer to me all the while it's incurring a heavy daily storage fee at the impound lot. Add in the towing fee to move the trailer to the impound lot. Then a day's work & fuel to go pick up the trailer. I just hope your generator shows up somewhere close by.

Old 04-10-14, 03:54 PM
WTF! How do you have to pay the impound fees for something that was stolen from you? That's outrageous!

I think you would be surprised how many people may pass through your yard in the night while everyone is sleeping. I've found some odd things in my backyard out of place and it was from me or my family. The longer you have something out like that gives more opportunity for it to get seen and stolen. I feel your pain. I've had things taken out of my yard as a kid and it blows.

Old 04-11-14, 04:37 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The tow driver and/or impound lot always gets paid. Theoretically you can sue the thief to recoup the cost [your insurance might cover it] but first he has to be caught and the odds of collecting

Old 04-11-14, 04:01 PM
Ick. The same may be true here, I just don't know. I think the government should be footing the bill. Especially if they are the ones taking their sweet time to get it loose.

Old 04-12-14, 05:18 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The gov't can't pay it's own bills and has never been accused of being efficient