What Was The Better Option?

Old 04-13-14, 01:40 AM
What Was The Better Option?

I borrowed my buddy's trailer, and to avail, no trailer lights. I did not have time to get to the parts, so I had a choice:

1 - Run the trailer with no lights.
2 - Run the trailer, and leave the generator running as a warning light,(wrapped in orange rope lights), as well as a green pagoda light on the mobile panel.

I did the second, considering I was driving at about 3AM. What would've you done?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-13-14, 02:41 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
3). Fixed them somehow. What was the problem with them that you needed parts....no trailer lights at all? If so, you did the best you could. Did you get caught?

Old 04-13-14, 04:08 AM
Group Moderator
I'm glad you were smart enough to come up with a plan B. Pulling a trailer at night without lights should be avoided at all costs. At best it's a stealth trailer which someone could hit and worse it blocks your taillights and someone really plows into the back of you.

Old 04-13-14, 04:41 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Not sure what parts were needed but as Larry said it would have been best to get them going BUT any type of light is better than none at all!

What's 3AM ?? I'm always busy sawing logs with a do not disturb sign at that time of night

Old 04-13-14, 05:23 AM
There is no "best" alternative. You should not be using it without lights under any circumstances. Period. If it had to be moved, have it towed by a professional.

Old 04-13-14, 08:29 AM
Group Moderator
I agree that it needs lights but I can understand how sometimes thing happen. When I had to go pick up my recovered, stolen trailer the towing company just let the electrical connection pig tail drag on the ground when they towed it to the impound yard. When I arrived I was two hours from home to pick up a trailer with no way to even jury rig lights.

Old 04-13-14, 08:35 AM
Super Moderator
The best thing would have been to get the lights working. Failing that, you could have bought some temporary tow lights. Nice to have for the future also.

You could have even rigged a couple of led bike flashers on the back for cheap.

Old 04-13-14, 10:54 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I suspect Justin did the best he could given that time of night, not sure there would have been any store open that would have whatever was needed to fix it right. The main thing is he didn't ignore it and run the possibility of putting himself or someone else in danger!

Old 04-13-14, 12:07 PM
I was about 1/2 hour from home, on a dairy farm back dirt roads I've never been on before. While fixing the lights is the first thought, it was near impossible because when he uses the trailer it gets towed by his ATV, and he just lets the connector hang apparently, and there were broken wires all the way back to where it enters the frame, so I couldn't even splice anything to make it work. Given those circumstances, I had to improvise as best I could with what I had on me. That's what I had, so I used it as best I can. Surprisingly enough, I was passed in the other lane by a marked police car and didn't get pulled over.

As to what I was doing that late, it was my friend's birthday party, and we were sitting around a fire stuffing our faces and talking.

Old 04-13-14, 02:32 PM
Group Moderator
Smart. You made sure there was nothing but Pepsi and Mt. Dew in the photo.

Old 04-13-14, 05:45 PM

Smart. You made sure there was nothing but Pepsi and Mt. Dew in the photo.
Hard to believe, but that's all we had.

Old 04-14-14, 03:19 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I think this is where my wife would say "good boy!"