Global Warming...Climate Change...Brrrrrr..

Old 04-15-14, 04:43 AM
Group Moderator
Global Warming...Climate Change...Brrrrrr..

So whats this I hear about Global Warming. When I was young it was a mini ice age that was coming and we were all going to freeze in the dark because we would soon run out of oil. Well I live on the Gulf Coast of Texas it is the middle of April. Guess the temperature. Its 46 chill factor 36. Now who would you believe. Going back to bed till it warms up.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-15-14, 05:02 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
We've already reached our high for today. The weatherman says we have a chance of snow this afternoon but I think he's full of it - least ways I sure hope so!

Old 04-15-14, 05:08 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Since the global warming pundits get snowed out of all their conferences, every year, it seems, they have renamed the activity as "climate change". Covers their butts when it gets cold and hot. They can prove things either way, at the drop of a pin. We're getting down to 30 tonight. Just after I thought it was safe to remove the dripping heater core on my truck. Oh, well, one day won't matter.

Old 04-15-14, 08:15 AM
Group Moderator
Buck up Larry, I haven't had a heater core for 15 years and darn if the missing weather seal on the doors helps.

Old 04-15-14, 08:54 AM
Michael Crichton's book State of Fear showed that global average temperatures run on a long cycle. Problem for the Warmists is the cycle looks to have reversed before they could all get rich on the fear-mongering.

Old 04-15-14, 11:30 AM
I personally think global warming exists and actually the colder weather is a sign of global warming. I know huh you say what. My understanding of global warming is that the worst of it is actually happening at the north pole and up in the north pole there is nothing but ice. As more ice melts up there it gets colder down here.

As to whether is is due to pollution that people make using their cars,trucks and lawn mowers as well as other polluting things or whether it is natural or not I take the middle ground. I personally believe it is both natural and people made.

Old 04-15-14, 12:00 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
It's been raining all day and now at 38 degrees it's turned to sleet
Low tonight in the mid 20's but then it's supposed to get warm again

Old 04-15-14, 12:52 PM
Yeah, I had 8.8 last night....gettin' old!

Looks like I may have to take up crow hunting so I can send some of you fine folks some supper when the time comes.

I kill myself!

I personally think global warming exists and actually the colder weather is a sign of global warming.
Shhhh....some people don't want to hear that.

Whatever, we'll just have to wait and see.

Old 04-15-14, 07:33 PM
I think climate change is real, but man has little if any effect on it. The earth does these warming/cooling cycles naturally and it's just how it is. As for the "S" word, it is sure happening here in Pennsylvania and it needs to go. All I want to be doing is sitting around a fire, listening to the radio, fire, crickets, mercury ballasts, etc.

Old 04-15-14, 08:02 PM
Group Moderator
I just got back in from work and we have some large flakes coming down here.

Old 04-15-14, 09:01 PM
No snow here where I live mainly up in Baltimore I sure am glad of that I don't want to shovel any more snow at least not until next winter.

Old 04-16-14, 05:54 AM
Out early this morning with 2" of nasty snow on the ground. No salt/sand/ or plowing as they knew it would all be melting soon. But that didn't make my drive any easier. Only 26 now, but at least the sun is out and we should hit 40. I don't think mother nature listens to the experts.

Bud

Old 04-16-14, 06:10 AM
I think I have had at most two inches of snow all winter. I think it snowed two different times and was all gone the next day. Hit 70 degrees last Thursday but has been in the lower to mid sixties since then.

Old 04-16-14, 07:57 AM
Super Moderator
I feel for ya'll. Last few weeks of March it was high 60's low 70's here. High 70's/low 80's last 2 weeks. While I was in St Croix last week, pretty much the same only more humid. We have plenty of houses and land for sale in my town...so if anyone is sick and tired of cold and snow...I can get you in contact with a Realtor.

Old 04-16-14, 09:49 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
This past sunday's high was 85 degrees, this morning's low was 26 .... but it has warmed up currently 43, not sure it will get into the 60's like the weatherman said.

Old 04-16-14, 02:49 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
They say if you wear snow boots and flip flops in the same week, you are from the South. Last night's cold killed the buds on my kiwi arbor, but hopefully the apple orchard was spared. Will know in the morning.

Old 04-16-14, 02:50 PM

Old 04-20-14, 07:20 AM
Admin Emeritus

Hilarious photo Baldwin...HA HA. Thanks.

I too remember those days in the past some claiming the return of the ice age all over again. But wasn't that time period long ago a result of blocking out of the sun caused by a huge meteor impact? No suns warmth allows the globe to cool. To much cooling and it freezes over.

Scientists also think a super volcano eruption, more likely to happen then a meteor impact, which could last for years, would block out the sun for many years. Life as we know it would end for many years into the future after such an event.

Global warming is the opposite. And it is real and is happening. The global temp is rising. One place of evidence is visible at the polar caps. Happened in the past granted but only increased slightly then lowered. A more normal occurrence. This time the theory is the temp isn't reducing nor likely to reduce.

Scientists say the increase in global temp rise is the increase of green house gasses. Partly the results of "Human Activity." Burning of fossil fuels mainly. They claim if allowed to continue to rise, the global temp would evaporate all the water. High temps kill off all vegetation and agriculture. etc. And end to life as we know it today. A MARS like planet....

Problem is, there presently is no way to produce enough energy without using and burning fossils fuels in the variations and volumes needed. Scientist say or claim never been down this road in past history. Prolonged and continuing burning of fossil fuels will cause the climate temp to reach as they say the "TIPPING" point. A time of no return and/or no reversal.

Maybe we will run out of oil and coal before then. Lights out... Modern life as we know it ceases to exist. Back into the "Dark Ages." (???) Oh Well. By then many of us won't be here. However, it's what we leave behind for the next generations to endure....

Interesting thread topic too. Additional input welcomed.

Excuse me. Have places to go and things to due. Gotta go fire up the gasoline guzzling belch fire big block V-8 green house gas exhaust emissions truck.... Just like almost everyone of us does....

Old 04-20-14, 07:54 AM
Group Moderator
Then there is EMP if you really want bad dreams. Just reading a novel about the effects of a single A bomb exploded three hundred miles above the center of the U.S. buy terrorists without ever setting foot on U.S. soil.
During the brief return to atmospheric testing in 1962, a 1.4 megaton nuclear weapon was detonated over Johnston Island at an altitude of about 250 miles. The effects of EMP were observed in Hawaii, 800 miles east of the detonation. Streetlights and fuses failed on Oahu and telephone service was disrupted on the Island of Kauai.
Source: Definition of an EMP

Old 04-20-14, 08:57 AM
Admin Emeritus
YEP. I too read up on and watched a few scientific documentaries on such. EMP's! Interesting and terrifying information IMO. Solar sun flares emitting huge EMP's (electro magnetic pulses.) World wide power grid failures. Thrusting the entire globe or our country back into the "Dark" ages....

I am convinced global warming is real and happening as claimed by scientist whom are far more intelligent then any of us more common BEARS as mentioned in YOGI bear cartoons...

How global warming reveals, displays and/or manifests itself differently around the global has to be considered. Out this way it is drought. Happened before. However, scientists proclaiming it may or likely will continue for years to come. As it did during the "DUST" bowl period yrs back.

Some areas around the globe experience different forms of climate changes. Climate change simply happens differently in different areas of the globe. But it is happening in my opinion at least. Some countries, that can afford to, are building flood gates to protect cities in low areas from flooding, etc. While other countries are building desalinization plants as they claim they are in my region.

In this area water conservation is a required. Rules being put into place to enforce such as water volumes decrease and price rates rise as well as electrical power rates continue on the upward rise also.

Super volcano's, meteor impacts, solar flares, huge earth quakes, global warming, extreme flooding, etc. What's in our future years ahead is and/or can be scary. Oh My!

Well at least for now, all is well on this Rock we call earth and life is good...Enjoy and Indulge. Relax (stay Cool?) and drink-up. Ha Ha

*Edited In Section.
Since others have posted their local temps, consider this. Locally here, readings from my own weather station, it's barely after 9AM mid April and the temp is already 75+ and will surely rise later on as the afternoon arrives....

And don't beleive all heard or read in the news. Can't afford to scare off the tourists!!! Come visit. Bring bags of $$$ and cases of bottled WATER!!!!...

Last edited by Sharp Advice; 04-20-14 at 09:20 AM.
Old 04-28-14, 04:49 PM
Group Moderator
Part 2

Okay beginning to see more global weather change. I was setting here today thinking the weather man sure got that wrong. It was supposed to be 90 today but never once felt any need to use the AC. My through the wall fan and an 8" desk fan kept me cool all day. Brought up the weather page...what? It did hit 90 today. What the heck do I need to go to the doctor? I'm not hot. I'm not sweating. Then I checked the humidity, 16%. Now you guys in Arizona may not understand my surprise but I'm sure a few Floridians do. Geeze 16 friggin percent. It is the end of the world as we know it.

Old 04-28-14, 06:26 PM
Group Moderator
I don't think I've ever seen it that low here. Especially at 90 degrees.

Old 04-29-14, 07:00 AM
Sounds about right. Going from very cold to very hot the air can't support much humidity yet. Give it a couple more weeks and you'll be nice & shiny

Old 04-29-14, 10:38 AM
I haven't even taken the cover off my AC yet......

Not complain' though, much better than those damn tornadoes. Scares me to death just thinking about them.

Old 04-29-14, 06:24 PM
Super Moderator
It was just in the mid 40's around here today and rain. No snow, thank goodness! I can remember having 90's in late April, but never mid 40's. Feels more like early March.

Is it normal to have tornadoes in Mississippi? Then again, nothing's been normal about the weather lately.

Old 05-05-14, 06:36 PM
Curious why the city hasn't placed an ad in the local paper telling us we can stop running our water so I checked the temp with my infrared device and it says 32.1.

Guess that explains why the snow is gone but hardly a blade of green grass in sight.

Old 05-05-14, 09:08 PM
They say April Showers bring May Flowers, but it seems we're getting May showers this year and new flowers. This rain stinks right now. Thankfully the job I'm doing right now is inside, but I want to get my land ready for this weekend and it's nothing but mud and supposed to rain, which we all know doesn't mix well with fire, deep fryers, and 30KW three phase...

Old 05-06-14, 03:59 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
My garden needs rain but there is none on the horizon weatherman says we are a couple inches behind so far on our yearly rainfall total. I guess rainfall is consistent world wide but the problem is someone is always getting too much while others aren't getting enough.

Old 05-06-14, 05:21 AM
Super Moderator
We got 5" of rain in one day, last week. Wish I could have sent some of that to someone that needs it!

Old 05-07-14, 09:54 AM
Admin Emeritus

Global Warming and Climate Change.

A few links below with interesting facts, photos and video on climate change by those whom know.

All the scientists can't all be wrong!

Educational information.

Excellent and informative video, IMO.

Take some time. Review and learn.

President Obama's Plan to Fight Climate Change | The White House

GlobalChange.gov

White House Launches Climate Data Initiative | GlobalChange.gov

UCAR - University Corporation for Atmospheric Research | Understanding atmosphere, Earth, and Sun

Old 05-07-14, 11:30 AM
Super Moderator
Thanks Tom... So we are all going to die!!!...LOL.. So according to the links you posted we should all hurry and reach deep in our pockets to donate to the cause before the world implodes..

All the scientists can't all be wrong!
Im not buying it and never did. IMO its a total man mad scare tactic to support funding. Yes if the scientists and who they work for want funding, sure they could all be wrong...

Here are some myths..

TEN MYTHS of Global Warming - Global Warming Hysteria

Here is why global warming is a money maker..

'Global Warming

This is real long to read. But shows how it all came about from after the second WW to funding for climate studies, and why.. Very good reading. ( Dont agree with the writers personal note though)

Government: The View from Washington, DC

I have many many more... But just my opinion is all.

here is one excerpt...

"Innocently pursuing their research, climate scientists were unwittingly destabilizing the political and social order," as one observer remarked. The scientific findings threatened industries basic to the world's economy, undercut optimistic assumptions about the future, aroused hostility between people with differing fundamental beliefs about the role of government in society, and forced politicians to choose between scientific advice and the comfort of their constituents. The scientists' research "has brought us to one of those rare historical fracture points when knowledge diverges from power, portending a long period of struggle before the two are once more aligned."

Old 05-10-14, 10:18 AM
Admin Emeritus

Hi: Mike.
Thanks for posting the links. Always nice to know both sides of an important issue for those whom care to know or whom have an interest in the subject matter. I already read and recently reread much of the opposite side of the subject matter through the links you provided... Thanks.

"So we are all going to die"!!!...LOL.. YEP! Sooner or later we all shall...

"So according to the links you posted we should all hurry and reach deep in our pockets to donate to the cause before the world implodes."
Nope. Not at all. Nor to donate either...:NO NO NO: Simply for ones own reading material on both sides of the issue and draw one's own conclusions...

I like yourself did not post the info in any attempt to persuade, influence nor attempt to change anyones mind. Nor donate $

We both know: A Mind Is Like A Parachute. Doesn't function until it's OPEN.

None of us will be around to know the results of actions or inactions. Nor which side is right or wrong.

Enough said.

Let's relax and enjoy a tall frosty cool one.

BEER TIME.

Meet you in the DIY's on board bar. Location. 2 levels below deck just past the ships galley...

Search this Thread