I don't know about the first four, but.....

Old 04-21-14, 04:14 AM
Group Moderator
I don't know about the first four, but.....

5 people you might not tip (but should) - Apr. 16, 2014

Sponsored Links
Old 04-21-14, 04:48 AM
I do agree that tipping is something you should consider in advance as I used to get caught with a wad of twenties and you can't ask for change. As I matured I started my trips with about $50 (70's and 80's) in singles and fives, several pre-folded to fit in the palm of my hand. Easier to pass a discrete tip that way. When you travel you learn to appreciate those who are working hard to be sure you and your luggage get to where they are supposed to.

I won't get into the mailman, trash collector, lawn maintenance guy, and a long list of double dippers who pocket extreme amounts of money on top of their salary. But I'm hiding in Maine now and although I still do tip it takes some special service to pry those bills from my fingers now. And it is that special service that a tip should be based upon, not just part of their pay.

Bud

Old 04-21-14, 07:32 AM
Super Moderator
You want us to have Tom change your name to the_road_service_guy?

The only person other than waiters/waitresses or housekeeping in a motel/hotel, that I've tipped in the last 7 yrs, were the city bulk trash pickup guys who came to pick up 2 old sheds that we had knocked down and cut up. It was supposed to be charged based on standard pick-up size loads. There were at least 3, but they estimated it at 1 which saved me about$40. So I tipped them $20 and said lunch is on me. Oh, and around that time we had some block walls built, and I bought the crew a bucket of chicken.

When I was moving around in the Navy, I also tipped the ladies who came in and did the packing.

Old 04-21-14, 08:31 AM
I give tips but not to anyone on that list we just can't afford to, I will tip a waitress or the food delivery guy since we have a great deal of our food delivered when we get it from a restaurant bu no one else. At least not money I might give them a tip on something I know about but not a monetary tip or, I might give a gift of something to someone but not anything real expensive and only if I know them well. If I get terrible service then no tip at all and your boss will hear from me.

Old 04-21-14, 10:25 AM
Group Moderator
Personally I never expect a tip and when offered I generally say it's not necessary. Often the "tip" is when a customer just rounds up to an even amount, couple of bucks. Every once in a while I'll get a really healthy tip, but my service is the same regardless.

I was a bit surprised at the people on the list; the cable guy?

I think the only people I've tipped in quite some time is the restaurant servers and the hair cutters.

On a side note, for all those people out there who have their towing done by a motor club (AAA, etc), by all means slip the driver a few bucks (provided they do a good job). The average motor club pays a very low rate to their providers and the pay the driver actually receives is around 30% of the ticket. So a motor club tow that pays the towing company $50 puts about $15 in the driver's pocket. Full disclosure, I don't tow for AAA or any of the major clubs (low rates being one of the reasons).

Old 04-21-14, 10:33 AM
Super Moderator
Yeah, I forgot hair cutters. Really sucks that I pay $12-14 for a haircut and it only last 20 min though. $2 is about all they get.

Old 04-22-14, 04:14 PM
I can't believe how cheap a haircut from a barber is. I've been doing my own for about 20 years. I think it ran about $12 20 years ago. They really should be getting $20 for a men's cut.

By the way, I hate the entire concept of tipping. Just pay these people a fair wage and charge me for it. It's always an awkward moment. Tipping is for people that like to show off how much money they have. I never liked getting tipped in my line of work either.

Old 04-22-14, 05:30 PM
Super Moderator
I can't believe how cheap a haircut from a barber is.
Well, you are in NJ...so yer actually paying for their "insurance", health "inspections", fire "inspections", building "inspections", trash pickup, local business "association"...you know, all those kind of "expenses". LOL