Steam Cars and Steam Engines

Closed Thread

Old 04-24-14, 02:16 PM
Steam Cars and Steam Engines

Abner Doble built the best steam car that was ever built. J Leno has one that he demonstrates in a video how it works . Cyclone Power Technologies has developed a steam engine that will in my opinion replace the internal combustion engine .

Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-14, 03:59 PM
Cyclone Power Technologies has developed a steam engine that will in my opinion replace the internal combustion engine .
I don't have any more information than what you gave in your terse post but I can tell you that you are mistaken. The infernal combustion engine is not going to be replaced by any steam engine in our lifetimes. This opinion is from a certified steam nut.

Old 04-24-14, 05:08 PM
Group Moderator
Not really a question so I moved this post here.

I really like the idea of a steam powered machine, but I have to ask, exactly how do they create the steam? It is still using combustion.

Old 04-25-14, 12:23 PM
Admin Emeritus
Steam engine replacing the internal combustion engine??? Not even close to likely. Not versatile enough nor powerful enough nor practicable enough etc. Nor is there any infrastructure to support a steam engine. Novel idea only. There isn't even enough if any infrastructure in all areas to support electric only cars!!!

Ever notice the various types of vehicles on the road? Steam tractor trailers, motor homes, pick ups able to tow RV trailers? Trains? Cruise ships, planes and freight ships on steam? Oh My. Not anytime in my life time nor yours nor any body I even know.

There simply is no alternative to fossil fuels to date for the purposes we already use it for. Gasoline and diesel engine fuel. Steam even needs some form of burning of a fuel source. No form of non pollution source to date. Nor likely in the near future. Not even any type of battery operating vehicles. Batteries need electrical recharging too! Producing large amounts of electricity pollutes too!

Old 04-27-14, 01:57 PM
steam cars

Steam engines being an external combustion engine are virtually non polluting and there for a technology that must be revisited. J Leno has a steam car built by Abner Doble that was years ahead of it time .

Old 04-27-14, 03:00 PM
The source of the heat for a steam engine can certainly be polluting. - Most have no controls for pollution prevention.

Dick

Old 04-27-14, 03:00 PM
Stem Cars

Now tell us about the power-to-weight ratio of steam cars vs other methods.

Old 04-27-14, 03:20 PM
Super Moderator
Uhhh...sorry...how can any sort of combustion be virtually non-polluting? I know the references say very low pollution, but that was probably in reference to the gasoline engines of the time. And do you know how low emission modern cars are? And they use multiple devices and technologies to clean up what few emissions get to the exhaust.

I agree those machines were a marvel of engineering in their time, but their time has passed. Regulations for safety and such make them very infeasible. Just look at their specs for the most advanced E model. 750psi at 750 degrees? Boy, I can see the NHTSA and EPA having a field day. Even the modern high pressure steam plants we had in the Navy were only 600 psi after the older 1200psi systems were phased out. And I think most of them are gone except on carriers, but a different system even there.

I can't see steam making a comeback except possibly in some industrial application.

Old 04-27-14, 05:11 PM
Super Moderator
except on carriers, but a different system even there.
I believe its linear induction now.. Although 3 phase is needed from what I read. so that must be generated on a ship somehow.

With that said not sure how they generate electric on a ship but I am sure they have enough power for a small city...

Plus they had batman the ride roller coaster at great adventure that was linear induction back in the 90's.... That ride gave me headache..... I can see how it can launch aircraft's quicker then steam.

Old 04-27-14, 05:30 PM
Super Moderator
The new launch system isn't even completely designed yet. It's planned to be installed on the Gerald R Ford (under construction).

And yes....they can make a bunch of power. The Ford is expected to have 3X the electrical power generation capabilities of the Nimitz class. Something on the order of 300KW I think? Same as any shore based plant, steam turns turbines that drive generators. And nuke reactors can generate a lot of steam!

Old 04-27-14, 05:39 PM
Super Moderator
Yeah steam cars would be going backwards IMO.. I believe it will be all electric someday. Probably not for another 1000 years I would say.

Heck the internal combustion motor is only 100 and something years old...

Here are the gas stations of the future already appearing...

Old 04-27-14, 06:06 PM
Steam cars

At the rate the ice is melting at the south pole we don't have a 1000 year to fix the pollution problem . A external combustion engine with it lower pollution rate would maybe buy some time . Abner Doble car that J Leno has, demonstrates that a modern steam car is very possible . The boiler in the Doble is safe due to its low water content . Cyclone Power is building a steam engine and boiler that is safe, and will operate in the 2000 psi. range as deionized water is used for the lubricant .

Old 04-28-14, 09:02 PM
I just looked at a Wikipedia article about the Doble Steam car and you needed kerosene to run the car. Most things that run on kerosene give out a great deal of pollution. It was fairly fast for its time but this car had numerous problems with it and most people were dissatisfied with the car. Anyway here is a link to the article Doble steam car - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia . It would never pass any of today's safety inspections and be a hazard on the road.

Old 04-29-14, 04:04 AM
saves -

Jay Leno is a great appreciator (Gearhead) of different types of vehicles and owns many unique ones. These range from a V8 motorcycle to a tank and to a few electric cars, a Stanley Steamer and many other "quirky" vehicles that his staff of mechanics repair, restore and occasionally run for kicks. The steam powered vehicles are there just because they are old history and he can afford to be a tinkerer. All the unique cars were possible, but not ecologically or economically adequate and that is why they are in a private collection and not out on the road except for shows and parades.

Dick

Old 04-29-14, 04:37 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The only benefit I can see to bringing back a steam engine would be if I had a steam powered vehicle with a wood boiler I could cut my own fuel but I don't think the EPA would like it

Old 05-01-14, 03:58 PM
Steam cars

I am surprised at the negative view of the steam engine , I guess the love affair for the internal combustion engine is alive and well . My personal view is we need an engine that can cause less damage to the environment .The modern steam engine uses no oil for lubrication , deionized water is used therefore steam temperature is not limited to the oils ability to lubricate . The engine can operate in the supercritical range , there is no need for a transmission , muffler , catalytic converter , complicated electronic , large engine or high rpm as full engine torque is available at the start like an electric motor . The boiler is able to use any fuel that has enough btu to supply the steam pressure to the engine at full power . The trick to having an efficient steam engine is to use most the heat energy that is imparted to the water in the boiler to perform work and not exhaust these btu to the air . Therefor the flow of the energy from the fuel to the engine and back to the boiler must be carefully managed . Many have tried and Abner Doble showed the way , with probably the best steam car ever built .

Old 05-01-14, 05:11 PM
Group Moderator
I have no love affair with internal combustion. If there is a steam car/truck that works, costs less, has the same performance as what I have now, sign me up! Talk is cheap, and so are videos . When is it coming to market? If is it so fantastic the market will jump all over it and they will be rich!

Old 05-01-14, 06:36 PM
Tolyn -

If you had a steam car, how would you use it in the winter, when it could not be left outside during a cold winter day? Since I also live in MN and I realize that for most of the U.S. would have similar problems at times and you point is well taken. Even the some meters up north (MN) have outlets to plug in the tank heaters for cars.

That is one reason that no company has bothered to do any development. Some people just do not realize what is expected for a vehicle and drive it almost everywhere at any time.

It might be fun to have one (a steam car), but as you say, the car has to work, be useful and have performance and that rules out steam for a century or so of real research and development.

Dick

Old 05-01-14, 06:52 PM
Super Moderator
As close your going to get what being tested. Not sure if it will go anywhere though. I am sure there are drawbacks...

Cyclone Power Technologies - Cyclone Engine

Old 05-02-14, 09:39 AM
Admin Emeritus

Personally speaking, I cannot in vision nor even imagine any personal nor practical purpose for the usage of a steam engine.

With only one exception. Production of electrical power generation on a large scale. Electric power to add into the grid along with all other non fossil fuels power generation.

In our modern society, we simply cannot due without electricity. It powers everything we all need, depend upon and use daily. Including industry, residential usage and all vital services, etc.

Regardless of emissions and green house gasses, produced by burning any fuels sources to power the steam engines to produce electrical power. By the time:

Name:  clock.jpg
Views: 404
Size:  11.8 KB

we reach and/or surpass the non reversible tipping point of no return to global warming, emissions will not matter!

Old 05-02-14, 12:38 PM
Steam Cars

I believe that although a power plant is efficient at the sight there is a big line loss of electricity getting the power to its point of use . If a steam cars boiler can operate in the super critical range and the condenser heat can be recaptured to heat the air used for combustion of the fuel the overall efficiency of the system could be higher than an electric car being charged by the grid.

Old 05-02-14, 01:43 PM
saves -

Just get nose your out of the theoretic books and back into the real or practical world. Steam cars are just not practical in the real wold.

If you are in the northern U.S., or heaven forbid in Canada, just going to the store for bread and milk in the cold season would be a major problem just to get it up and going where it may have daily lows below zero for 30, 40 or 50 days or weeks on end of temps below 0F. Protection of the reservoir from the cold would be a problem unless you cold plug into parking lot meter with an outlet to run a heater.

There is no question that a steam car may operate in cold temperatures, but starting and getting it working and generating heat (much is lost) is a noble fantasy if it can be available to the public. The thought of keeping it warm enough to operate would be a folly and earn you a "green" badge.

Dick

Last edited by Concretemasonry; 05-02-14 at 03:56 PM.
Old 05-02-14, 02:43 PM
Steam Cars

Abner Doble Steam car did not have to be plugged in as the water was automatlic drained into a shaped sump that allowed the water to freeze with out breaking any parts .

Old 05-03-14, 08:19 AM
Admin Emeritus

saves:
This discussion thread is reaching the end of it's cycle. Becoming boring, as long as it's sole focus is on CARS! Steam engines for any personal usage is as dead an issue as a discussion on the rival of the 8 track tape... If you deem a steam car as a practical means of personal transportation, buy one now or whenever you can or want.

Large steam engines, like those once used to power a train, dotted around the nation where practical and wood is available, etc has some benefit for the production of large amounts of electricity, if plugged into the nations power grid to serve the whole of society.

Running 24/7/365 in any or many areas of the country while under the watchful eye of a trained steam engineer, these power plants would be beneficial when the time arrives. Weather would then not be a factor if the engines remain in operation and the fuel source is readily available etc.

GI2
Excuse me, IMO, if the discussion remains solely on steam CARS, there is no longer any need to keep this thread active. We are going in circles and getting no where.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't function until it's OPEN.

Old 05-03-14, 09:53 AM
Group Moderator
I, for one, am waiting for Mr. Fusion from "Back to the future".

Old 05-03-14, 11:05 AM
Admin Emeritus

"Back to the future".

The return of or to "Skid Row?...Ha Ha Ha..... For those whom do not know what that means, a time when loggers copped down trees and dragged them to a lumber mill via horse, donkey or mule power.

Is there an electrical engineer on-board?

If electrical power is produced via a steam engine connected to a large industrial size generator and that power where to be connected into the grid, could other electrical motors connected to motorized generators be used to produce even more electrical power...??????

More power out then power in? Multiplication factor? More out then power in??? Kindly advise. If more out then used is correct, then it's a win-win for all and for everywhere in the nation. If so, then just maybe life as we have it now will not be so bad after oil......after OIL not all...

Old 05-03-14, 11:10 AM
I think that would fall under Perpetual Motion would it not? Besides there is said to be around 300 years of oil left to be used. By then I'm sure someone will have perfected fusion but we won't be around for it to matter either way.

Old 05-03-14, 11:11 AM
Super Moderator
There is no way to produce more power out than in. Just the electrical losses in transmission, and well as power lost due to mechanical parts prevent that from happening.

Now...if you re-build the grid using all room temperature superconducting material (doesn't exist) and can somehow create frictionless bearings, you won't loose as much...but you will still lose some.

Old 05-03-14, 01:22 PM
Admin Emeritus
300 years of oil left to be used.

The good news...

but we won't be around for it to matter either way
The bad news......

There is no way to produce more power out than in
Bummer...

Then the only possible way to get electrical power to all or most of society is to have "Steam" generators located nationally, regionally and locally. The return of "Skid Rows" near our rivers for steam engine water, floating logs down river to saw mills. Trees. A fuel source for steam power.

Wood workers of the future can rejoice. Return of animal drawn wagons, buggies and carts?..

Old 05-03-14, 01:56 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I tend to agree with Tom. The OP is virtually jerking everyone's chain by extolling the virtues of steam output but totally ignoring the pollution off gas required to create the steam. I noted the same phrases in each post and it is grinding to a halt, quickly.

Old 05-03-14, 02:13 PM
Super Moderator
My new car...

Old 05-03-14, 02:24 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Bet it's a bear to parallel park And that is "steam" coming from the stack...........no wait, it isn't steam is it? Gosh we didn't figure on that.

Old 05-03-14, 04:03 PM
steam cars

I don't see a trail of steam or smoke out of Leno Doble cars , and the boiler will burn the fuel in the 90% or higher range . I don't see a problem with parking , starting, fuel economy, acceleration , maintenance , fuel sources . The burner was not modulating and therefore suffered from short cycling which as we all know is hard on fuel .

Old 05-03-14, 05:28 PM
Super Moderator
Saves you should really get some facts for your argument if you have one... In your first post you only wrote a statement is all....

Here is the link again to your cyclone industries you mention.

Cyclone Power Technologies - Cyclone Engine

Well I guess for the benefit of argument, watch leno here with one of the cars as you mention also...

After watching I assume we can discuss the issues..

The one I see clearly is no oil separator per se'. So the EPA would have a field day with all the cars skimming to rid themselves from excess oil in the water.

What ye all say?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACO-HXvrRz8

Old 05-03-14, 08:15 PM
steam cars

The cyclone power steam engine uses deionized water and need no oil

Old 05-03-14, 08:38 PM
Super Moderator
Enough...not the type of Forum for this discussion. A free energy site or similar would be better suited. Plenty of scammers out there to feed those who believe.

Closed Thread