Word usage an barbarism.

Old 05-18-14, 11:27 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Word usage an barbarism.

Joel will appreciate this, I am sure. How we butcher the American language.

Name:  words.jpg
Views: 280
Size:  27.6 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 05-18-14, 12:19 PM
Group Moderator
I will be printing this out and putting it on the wall by my computer. I know I violate these more than I care to remember.

Yes, it really can be that hard. Just like electrical work.

Old 05-18-14, 12:26 PM
Actually the poster should have used the word "difficult" rather than "hard", since "hard" refers to a condition, like a hard surface. I know, Joel will be in shortly to shoot that down, but I got first blood

Old 05-18-14, 12:50 PM
Group Moderator
Word usage an barbarism.
Speaking about butchering the language...... what is this

Old 05-18-14, 02:01 PM
You're right Pete, my middle finger didn't extend far enough. SR "word usage AND barbarism"

Old 05-18-14, 07:23 PM
If you think there is barbarism in the English language you should hear me try Spanish. My great grandfather was Cuban and well some Spanish words were passed down but I never have been able to speak it properly. I even too had Spanish for travelers and failed that in high school. Even so though one day at a little Salvadoran restaurant we used to go to I thought I might try to impress the waitress there. Oh I impressed her lol she couldn't stop laughing

Old 05-18-14, 09:00 PM
Group Moderator
Back in the day at Navy training school in Great Lakes a Tecmexian friend decided to go to Chicago for some real Mexican food. The restaurant looked Mexican to him and I couldn't at that even recognized one. So he's showing off his border TexMexican Spanish to the waitress. All of a sudden he got a weird look on his face. As the waitress was leaving he whispered to me, "Slowly get out of the chair and walk calmly to the door". Got to say he sound scared and considering his size that made me very nervous. So we got outside and I asked the sailor equivalent of, What the Heck?" He replied the waitress use the Puerto Rican word for beans but I use the Mexican word for beans". Just as lost as ever I asked so? He explained there was a turf war between the Mexican gangs and Puerto Rican gangs and he'd just spoke Mexican in a Puerto Rican restaurant in a Puerto Rican neighborhood.

Beans: Habichuelas in Puerto Rico, Frijoles in Mexico
(No, I didn't know that but Yahoo Answers did.)

Old 05-19-14, 12:16 AM
Reminds me of when I was married and we went to visit some friends of wifey's that lived in New York City. She had met these people while serving in the Peace Corps in Korea and they had since emigrated to the US and ran a liquor store in Queens.

We had just traveled from Rhode Island and hadn't had anything to eat for several hours so the woman (can't remember her name, it was back in the late 70s or early 80s) sent us down the block to a Korean restaurant. We ordered some food and then sat back to wait. During the wait Linda, (wife) was listening to the background conversation and screwing up her face trying to decipher the language. She told me it was definitely NOT Korean but she wasn't sure what it was. Then she brightened up and said it was ...Spanish! Yep, a Korean restaurant where the staff spoke in fluent Spanish.

Old 05-19-14, 07:09 AM
Group Moderator
Apologies for the typos in my last post and yes they are typos. Please PTBs can you give members with more then 50 posts unlimited edit time. That would reduce the errors at least among those of us who go back and proof read their posts at a later time.