Service Work Warranty and Guarantee

Old 05-19-14, 12:06 PM
Service Work Warranty and Guarantee

I have an HVAC issue. Equipment is under a labor warranty for a few more months. A special order part needs to be ordered and the installer will return under warranty to repair it.

However, by the time heating season returns, when I will be able to truly test the system with the new part, my warranty will have expired. In which case I fear if if the issue occurs again (like maybe the correct part was not replaced) then I will be charged labor for something that should have been corrected in the first place under warranty.

So do you think a labor warranty would be "extended" for this repair since the initial call was made under the warranty period?

Additionally, the service co. has a caveat in their invoice that reads:

""Labor Guarantee- The labor charge as recorded here relative to the equipment serviced as noted is guaranteed of a period of one year unless otherwise specified. We do not, of course, guarantee other parts than those we install. If repairs later become necessary due to other defective parts, they will be charged separately. ""

Does this sound like if the issue still occurred 8 months down the road (when my labor warrantee has expired) that I would be covered on the labor?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-19-14, 12:17 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Usually replacement parts have their own warranty. You need to find out how long that is. Normally replacement parts are warranted for a set amount of time. The warranty on that part is usually either the set time frame or the rest of the original warranty - which ever is longer.

Old 05-19-14, 12:25 PM
Im saying if the part being replaced does not correct the problem. And it wouldn't be until after my labor warranty time frame has expired that I would be able to find out that they did not replace the correct part and the problem is still occuring.

To be clear I have a 1 year labor warranty (which expires soon) and a 10 year parts warranty.

Old 05-19-14, 12:49 PM
You could always get a service contract but since your parts warranty is for 10 years I really wouldn't go to the expense. The average service call doesn't really take very long and usually is not all that expensive either even if there is a part that needs replacing. I own two properties one a rental and our own house and we have bought service contracts before. We then quit them as the expense for the contract really was more than we would have paid for one service call.

As for the warranty you have right now the labor part definitely will expire and when it does then would be the time to buy a contract if you feel you need one. I wouldn't myself but that is me and some people feel more protected if they have a service contract.

Old 05-19-14, 01:00 PM
A warranty that goes by the calendar usually (just my opinion) ends when the date passes. Unfortunately, the seasonal nature of a heating system will make that difficult to test, however, test it you/they must. In-other-words, insist that they test it and give you a statement that the problem has been resolved and if not they will return next fall and continue under the stated warranty. It is imperative that you negotiate the extension before the date passes and do so in writing. If they conclude that it is not possible to test now, then that is their problem, invite them to return in the fall to continue.

A warranty claim placed before the ending date should extend the warranty obligation until that problem is resolved, not just until the calendar date passes.

Bud

Old 05-19-14, 01:15 PM
Super Moderator
There's no reason why you can't test a furnace in the summer. Wait until a cooler night or day, open the windows for max airflow. Turn the furnace up to 90 or so (or max?) and let it run. It just won't cycle as often. That's if it's a real furnace of course, I don't know about a heat pump.

Search this Thread