Movies With Impossible Prmisses

Old 05-22-14, 06:51 PM
Group Moderator
Movies With Impossible Prmisses

Ever just could not watch a movie because the premiss is to impossible. No I don't mean movies based on things we know aren't real like ghosts or vampires. I mean a movie supposedly based in real life. Just tried watching Finding Normal but the whole plot of the movie is based on a North Carolina county judge sentencing the lead character to community service because of unpaid parking tickets in Los Angeles. Sure initially she is stopped for speeding in the county a legitimate charge but then is taken in for the LA traffic warrant and the warrant is specifically mentioned as one of the charges against her when sentenced by the judge. Stupid, just stupid. Anyone else see a supposedly real world movie based on something that would never happen?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-22-14, 08:58 PM
Yeah, I know what you mean, Ray. I can't think of any movies off hand but I don't watch that many movies made after about 1980. Television shows are the same. I know we discussed Bones once and I was just thinking that over the seven or eight seasons it has been on the air maybe, just maybe, about a half-dozen of the cases would have fallen under FBI jurisdiction and THAT has always bothered me. Same with all of the impossible fight scenes where people get hit across the shoulders with a steel pipe but barely even stumble when they swing around to get the assailant or someone gets a chair broken over their head and doesn't even go to the ground. All the walking up walls and doing back flips and the like.

Or how about last night's episode of Revolution where the good guys were shooting the Texas Rangers with each shot they fired but the Rangers couldn't hit anything smaller than the side of a barn? Another thing I see all to often is some fuzzface wearing a gas mask and not be affected by the perfectly lousy seal against his beard. And the one that just drives me up the wall is when the chase goes into a building's mechanical spaces, a chiller room, fan room or boiler room and it is ALWAYS so dark you can barely see. I spent my entire working career in such spaces and they were always well lit. Or the leaking steam is yet another totally Hollywood effect.

Old 05-22-14, 10:04 PM
Group Moderator
Furd I agree 100%. And for extra points did you see the typo in my post that I didn't see till too late to edit? Oh and the TV show about the alleged FBI missing persons squad. Heck even local police won't really investigate most times if it is a healthy adult and no sign of a crime. The key being not a crime to disappear.

Old 05-22-14, 10:22 PM
I see at least three typos or misspellings along with some missing punctuation and one example of poor sentence structure.

But who's counting.

Old 05-23-14, 03:49 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Count me as one who also detests movie plots or scenes that aren't believable. I can be watching a show with my wife and make a comment about how that can't happen or otherwise correct what we are watching. Her answer is always the same - it's just a TV show/movie

Old 05-23-14, 04:07 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Put me on the band wagon,too. If it can't happen in real life, I don't watch it. I am sure with the varied life experiences we all have had, there are movie plots that impinge on the stretch of an imagination, for editorial's sake. For instance, watching movies involving commercial aircraft, I pick up on flabbergasting errors that made way for "acting". Oh, but far be it from things like the current abysmal following of zombie movies. Give me a break!

Old 05-23-14, 07:12 AM
Mark, thank your lucky stars that is all she says. My ex would tell me I didn't know what I was talking about.

Okay, here's an oldie, the Die Hard movies. I've worked in a few high-rise buildings and all of them locked the doors to the stair towers soon after the close of business for the day. You could always exit into the stair tower but no way were you getting back in unless you had the proper key. Also, the communications rooms (telephone connection panels) were ALWAYS locked and often with both a key lock and a combination lock. And even if a person could get in to just walk up to the cross-connect panel and know which line was which is an utter impossibility without a cheat sheet.

Another is any scene where there is a door marked Authorized Personnel Only yet the actors just walk right on through. Any place that I have worked where there were such doors accessible to UNauthorized personnel, the doors were locked 24/7.

Old 05-23-14, 08:02 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
thank your lucky stars that is all she says
She knows better than to argue with me

Old 05-23-14, 12:09 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
If the ending is something like "and they lived happily ever after", I know I will hate watching it.

Old 05-23-14, 12:33 PM
Group Moderator
Then there is the old chestnut on sitcoms where the husband tries to fix a leak under the sink. After the repair he turns the faucet on and water shoots out of the drain. Give me a break.

Old 05-23-14, 02:02 PM
At 7:13

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3G6BFmUA1o From In Society starring Bud Abbott and Lou Costello.