Wow! Looks Like Fun

Old 05-29-14, 07:59 PM
Group Moderator
Sponsored Links
Old 05-29-14, 08:27 PM
Super Moderator
With that wheel they will price themselves right out of any type of market for it...When I work on packing machines with my buddy, I know what the motorized pullys cost for the belts..

Any info on price I wonder?

It will go out like the segway....

Old 05-29-14, 09:52 PM
Group Moderator
It's not quite the hoverboard we all hoped to be riding by 2013, but a Silicon Valley firms has created the next best thing - a self balancing, one wheeled skateboard. Called the Onewheel, the $1300 gadget has a single air filled tire taken from a go-kart. It can reach speeds up to 12mph, and turn 360 degrees within the length of the board - all while balancing itself usign the same motion sensing technology found in a smartphone.

Old 05-29-14, 10:31 PM
It looks like fun but also looks kind of dangerous too. If anyone was to use one of these they definitely would need a safety helmet. Probably in some states like here in Maryland a license to drive this. They would probably classify this somewhere along the lines of a moped and require a license sticker on this at all times. As for the Segway not being available anymore that seems to be true although there now are manufacturers that make something like the Segway. I agree though I doubt this will last.

Old 05-30-14, 04:55 AM
I have to agree with Hedgeclippers on this. These will just increase the head trauma flow in the emergency ward.

Which reminds me of a story that happened to me as a young kid of about 12 or 13 years of age. At that particular time skate boards were in style (Yes they were around a long time before you young'ns were around ). Any way I was riding one when the edge of the sidewalk decided to pop up as I was riding over it. I fell face first with my left arm tucked under my chest area. It felt like the wind was knock out of me. But then I realized I could not get up. Finally I did some how get up and realized I had compound fracture with part of my arm bone sticking out. I rush into the house to tell my mother...Now you have to picture a typical Italian mother talking to my Aunt on the phone...got it?. Ok I rush in and blurt out... "Ma I think I broke my arm"! The first words out of her mouth before rushing me to the hospital were....wait for it...

You Son Of a B**ch! I'll murder you.

Old 06-03-14, 07:00 PM
Now that sure looks fun! The only issue I can see is it will get stuck too easily with that small of a tire.

Old 06-03-14, 07:48 PM
Group Moderator
Justin, when you get yours built be sure to post pictures.

Old 06-03-14, 07:51 PM
Super Moderator
As for the Segway not being available anymore that seems to be true...
Hate to tell you, Segway is very much in business and selling their machines. They may not be going gangbusters, but you can still get service, parts, or new machines. They are kind of a niche item, but are popular as foot (wheel?) patrol vehicles for police and security, warehouse workers, corporate/college campuses, etc.

I knew a guy back in the late 70's who invented a motorized skateboard using a chainsaw motor with a hand control. Actually saw him riding it in the parking lot once. It didn't drive the wheels directly, but a separate center drive wheel. Was pretty neat, but not for tricks like they do on them now.

Old 06-05-14, 10:09 PM
ray2047

Justin, when you get yours built be sure to post pictures.
Ha! I'm still trying to find a used diesel engine at a reasonable price to make myself a go-kart. [ATTACH=CONFIG]32868[/ATTACH]

Attached Images  
Old 06-05-14, 11:30 PM
Group Moderator
When I was a young lad Popular Mechanics had an article on using the gasoline engine out of a Maytag washer to make a go cart. Of course that was back when washing machines had ringers not spin cycles and some farms if they had electric at all it was 42 volts from a wind mill.

Old 06-06-14, 03:09 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Ray, you're showing your age would that have been one of the old 'hit and miss' engines?

Old 06-06-14, 08:37 AM
The old Maytags were more 'miss' than 'hit'! (cut my teeth on one)

I finally got my cart built. Have done 5 of these.

Name:  Random 003.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  50.2 KB

Elec start 8 hp Briggs, hydrostat transaxle with differential lock, 3 X 3 dump bed, rack and pinion steering. Overall length - 8 1/2 ' width 3' weight 750#

RR

Old 06-06-14, 08:57 AM
Group Moderator
Nice, very nice. Thanks for the picture, Rooster.

Old 06-06-14, 07:02 PM
Very nice, Rooster. What you have right there is basically what I want to build. The only real difference is I want to use a 20-30hp diesel in there because I have a seemingly unlimited supply of used frying oil, especially during the fall. I'd also like to slip a belt driven generator head in there so when I go back in the woods I can plug some lights and my sound rack in. (And a bug zapper this time of year)

Search this Thread