Lest We Forget

June 6th, 1944

Name:  D_Day.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  51.4 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 06-06-14, 07:46 PM
Group Moderator
Saw a good show on PBS regarding the landings, how the British tried to make floating tanks (which failed miserably in the choppy water) and mine sweeping tanks and floating ports (which worked really well).

It also mentioned the battles to take each field in parts of France where there were "hedgerows" (for some reason I don't recall ever hearing about these- where each landowner had basically created a berm with trees, hedges, and rocks at the edges of his property, which were ideal for German defenses, and a nightmare for the forces that were "invading".)

Another show was on the British "bouncing bombs" that successfully blew up several dams in Germany's industrial/coal producing regions. The science and physics behind it was pretty interesting.

Old 06-06-14, 07:55 PM
Super Moderator
My Dad was in the Pacific theater..but it was pretty bad there too. I never forget this day.

Old 06-07-14, 03:52 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Dad, too, was in Pacific. Aircraft machinist mate. Started in Australia and island hopped all the way to the Japanese theater repairing planes as we inched our way to victory. Very special day!!

Old 06-07-14, 05:15 AM
Group Moderator
Ditto my Dad; B-24 radio repair '43-'45; Philippines, Guadalcanal.

Old 06-14-14, 04:44 PM
World War I has hit its 100th anniversary this year. I've seen a quite a few articles in recent weeks talking about it. That shouldn't be forgotten about either. Quite an incredible story to be told their as well.

Old 06-14-14, 05:39 PM
Super Moderator
My grandfather is 98. He did 3 tours in ww II. We just got his things because he is not doing too good these days... I found his purple heart, and such...

Sad the place we have him in costs a lot of money and they dont even care for him as I think they should...

He was in the 82nd airborne as a medic... He did Italy @ Africa, Sicily?, Normandy, and another. ( I think it was battle of the bulge. )

It wasnt in the record books but may be now. They were blown 5 miles off course @ Normandy I think. It may have been the Italy one though.... By the time they marched into Normandy/ or into italy that campaign was over...)

I need to go through his recordings to see where his third tour was..

My mom and I take care of him best we can as we live close. All other relatives live far and dont really care..

Our main issue was the whole VA health care for him.. We circumvented that as he has enough money. But he always wants to go to the VA for some reason...

Its amazing though that the military did take good care of him financially. (He does receive a very good income a month with the special veterans benefits for WW II veterans, SSI and the like...)

Plus he was injured in the war from a phosphorus bomb.. had dysentery..etc...

I could tell you story's...

Last edited by lawrosa; 06-14-14 at 05:59 PM.
Old 06-14-14, 05:52 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Mike, your grandfather and my dad's younger brother shared some of the same dirt in the 82nd. He was with Patton in the latter part of the war. I have some of his letters he wrote to his sister posted on my Ancestry site (Chandler948). He could never tell exactly where he was when writing, and some of the smallest things, like a pipe to smoke, cakes, all were special treats back then.

Old 06-14-14, 06:17 PM
Super Moderator
and some of the smallest things, like a pipe to smoke, cakes, all were special treats back then.
Yes.. Water was a treat back then.

He told me there were 11 man tents they set up. The Germans were everywhere. They had to walk 1 mile for water, so they drew straws to see who would go as everyone was getting shot by snipers. He lost along with his buddy and had to take the walk to get water..

Upon arrival of his camp from getting water he saw his tent was blown up from bombing/mortar fire and all men inside perished.. ( Whats the chances? )

And my mom was born in 43' so not sure when it all came about and/ or when he was home on leave.

I guess I may have not been here and been born if things were different...

Makes you wonder...

And I never forget in response to this thread. Most of my friends I hang with are Vietnam vets as I ride and associate with and older crowd. I am surrounded by it every day. And most my age fiends 48, are Desert storm era..

Ironically all my family missed the military after my grandfather... My dad missed Korea and Vietnam due to age or family....

Last edited by lawrosa; 06-15-14 at 01:53 AM.

Search this Thread