Question about post editing

Old 06-25-14, 06:03 AM
Question about post editing

If I post a message or start a thread and after actually posting it and then need to edit it, is the post available for others to read as I'm editing it? Or is it locked out until I finish the edit?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-14, 06:44 AM
Super Moderator
I believe the post is viewable to others. Most will not know there was an edit unless they re read it and realize that you added comments. Thats why its good to add comments on why you edit the post.

Like here I went back and added this line I am typing. I wrote that I added additional comments....

Last edited by lawrosa; 06-25-14 at 06:46 AM. Reason: Added additional comments....
Old 06-25-14, 06:52 AM
For me, most edits are spelling and grammar errors. I often say that if I could spell I'd be dangerous. My fat fingers and dyslexic typing isn't realized until after I post. I even bought one of those oversize keyboards but I still strike two or sometimes three keys at once.

But my main concern was changing the meaning or adding something important that I forgot or realized should've been on the first post attempt.

Old 06-25-14, 07:19 AM
Super Moderator
Most times I will not edit and just add a second reply if additional info needs to be added.

Spelling is different though as I edit at will......

Old 06-25-14, 07:24 AM
I would still like to get a Mod's answer to this just as a technicality point.

Old 06-25-14, 07:28 AM
Super Moderator
Well I am a mod... LOL.. I would guess administration would need to be asked the question.

Old 06-25-14, 07:30 AM
Super Moderator
I will copy this to web site issues and get you an official reply soon... Stand by...

Old 06-25-14, 07:37 AM
Oops, Yes you are.

I meant to say an administrator. (see what I mean?) I can can be such a klutz sometimes.

Old 06-25-14, 08:43 AM
Group Moderator
Never seen a post locked in my ten years here so I can only infer nothing happens until you re-post with your changes.

Old 06-26-14, 05:47 AM
Admin Emeritus
Hello: Norm201

is the post available for others to read as I'm editing it?
Yes. The post or thread you're in the process of editing is visible while you are editing it. Once you're done with the editing and upload the revised edited version, that's when everyone can see the revised edited version. Until that time the old unrevised version remains visible.

In other words, the post or thread you're editing does not disappear from view. It just remains there until you click the save changes button to upload the revised edited version.

Post locked during editing time. Answer to that aspect is no.

Does the above directly and specifically answer your question?

===
Edited In Note or Section.
I intensionally (on purpose) let the time limit for editing expire. In doing so the reason for editing will show. However, just in case that gets missed (overlooked) I included a note as noted here. Time limit allowed for editing before reason for editing displays is about 20 minutes. Prior to that time reason for editing will not appear. During this entire time this edited in section does not appear in the original post. Not until I submit this edited in note or section. The Edited In Note or Section is unneeded simply for corrections or spelling errors nor revised text corrections, etc.

Last edited by Sharp Advice; 06-26-14 at 06:14 AM.
Old 06-26-14, 06:45 AM
Yes, yes. That does explicitly answered my question. Thank you!

Search this Thread