recycle blues

Old 06-26-14, 12:26 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
recycle blues

I went to haul off some paper/mags to the recycle bin in a nearby town this afternoon and was shocked to find out that they've done away with the bins. I even checked the previous location where they used to be 8-10 yrs ago - nothing.

The only other place I know of that isn't too far away is on the outskirts of another town - a dump transfer station .... but they charge you per lb for anything you take there

You'd think the gov't would encourage recycling instead of making it harder

Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-14, 12:55 PM
Super Moderator
They encourage it around here and take practically everything, with only a couple of exceptions. AND they pick it up for free, too! I guess one of the benefits of living in a big city.

Maybe it costs them too much money to collect and haul in smaller towns? Still, you'd think cleaning up the environment is more important.

Old 06-26-14, 01:00 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
When I first moved here 20+ yrs ago one of the nearby towns implemented a curbside recycle program, all you had to do was pay an extra $10-$12 per month added to your trash bill. A few yrs later I read in the paper where they had discontinued the program because of low participation ......... I wonder why

Old 06-26-14, 02:26 PM
Super Moderator
What caliber and model are the mags? I can always use more!

Ohhhhh...like for reading? I recycle those the best way I know, I drop them off at a Salvation Army (and take a small tax write off based on their sale price) or if I'm going to a place with a waiting room (tire shop, doctors office, etc), I take a stack appropriate for the location. Other people there hit the pile like buzzards on a gut wagon. Sometimes I give some to my neighbor and he drops them off at his hunt club.

As to the paper...looks like you'll be burning it or using it in your compost pile. Ya know, newspapers and paper bags are great weed blockers in flower beds and gardens.

Old 06-26-14, 02:37 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I use up most of the newsprint under mulch in my garden and flower beds The paper I haul off is mostly catalogs, all the publications I get [but don't understand] from my annuity, a few magazines and last years phone books.

Because of where I live, I burn most of my trash but I've always tried to recycle some too. I try not to burn much paper because it doesn't burn all that well, you pretty much have to stir it up in the burn barrel every 5-10 minutes to keep it burning until it's all gone. I used to didn't care how often I had to empty the burn barrel but nowadays I try to burn it up as much as possible so I don't have to empty it as often. Might be easier to dig a hole and bury it if I can't recycle.

Old 06-27-14, 05:30 AM
Admin Emeritus

Mark

Humor:
When you live in a very small town, in which you likely do, with a population of 4-8, it's not profitable to make trips to any bin....

Suggestions:
Have you called the city? Guess not thus far... Might try. Surely or hopefully they would or should know where a nearby recycle location is. FYI: Your town only has one person Part Time employee in the city office. Closed for lunch 12PM to 2PM... Try looking in the Phone books yellow pages or due an on line search might help too!

Some towns have privately owned recycle businesses that buy recyclable metals, plastics, paper and the like. Have them here nearby. But then again makes sense here. Town has a population of much more then 4-6 families....HA HA.

Suggestions, Humor all without My Story or tales of Woe's ends here...LOL!

Last edited by Sharp Advice; 06-27-14 at 05:50 AM.
Old 06-27-14, 06:07 AM
Group Moderator
Our recycling stations are at the transfer station. They have separate trailers for the recyclables and don't charge for that waste... only what goes down into the trailer that's for garbage.

Old 06-27-14, 06:41 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Fortunately, I don't live in a town ... I like living in the country The gov't of small town that used to have the recycle bins is a joke. They are all the time suing or being sued. A few yrs back they installed speed cameras on the section of hwy they annexed solely for the tax revenue. This allowed them to build a new town hall as the old one was falling apart and had major mold issues. They discussed paying to have it torn down but decided to auction it off instead and then rejected the highest bid because they thought someone else might pay a few grand more. The bid coupled with the cost of what they originally agreed to pay to have it torn down is way more than the property is worth. Several yrs ago a business man got a ticket for running a stop sign so he got himself elected mayor and fired the entire police dept of 3. He had to resign early after completely screwing up the towns finances.

I guess the transfer station of the larger town near me has to charge so they can pay the attendant to make sure you don't put the plastic in the paper bin, etc

I could go across the border and use the Va recycle bins but technically that's illegal because they are for Va residents only. For now I guess I'll just leave them stacked up in the passenger seat of my truck.

Old 06-27-14, 09:48 PM
You can burn anything if you get the fire hot enough.

Old 06-27-14, 09:57 PM
I think the reason is that used metal and plastic actually are worth something while glass and paper cost money to recycle

Old 06-28-14, 05:34 AM
Admin Emeritus

For now I guess I'll just leave them stacked up in the passenger seat of my truck.
Stacked up on seat of truck? Doesn't seem like such a great idea...LOL! Unless the truck remains stationary. As in not driven. Your personal Trash collection vehicle...

Guess the issue not really all that important. Isn't on the top of the honey do list either. No indication in your last reply above of any effort to seek out a recycle location noted.

Oh Well...

Old 06-28-14, 06:24 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
No, my truck doesn't good used a whole lot, makes more trips to the mailbox than it does to town probably a good thing since it only gets 11 mpg Not high on the honey do list either, especially since she rarely rides in my truck

I haven't bothered to call any of the local towns but the yellow pages and online search didn't show anything but the recycle for cash centers.

Search this Thread