Great customer service?

Old 07-08-14, 08:32 AM
Group Moderator
Great customer service?

I'm constantly amazed at how some people can bear to look themselves in the mirror in the morning...

Tow truck dumps woman in empty parking for better call - WINK-TV News

Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-14, 09:01 AM
Super Moderator
I never did that when I worked as a TT driver in Long Beach. Once we were on scene, sorry about anyone else. And it never really came up anyway. We had a dispatch service from AAA so they pretty much kept track of who was available. We did have a contract with LE (CHP and LBPD) and even if we were getting ready to hook someone up, we would have to apologize to them and go to the LE call if we were closest. Most of the time they understood since it could be blocking traffic or in a dangerous situation.

Old 07-08-14, 10:26 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Isn't 'great customer service' an oxymoron these days

Maybe the bad publicity will affect that tow company's bottom line

Old 07-08-14, 12:40 PM
Group Moderator
Dropped AAA because of the drivers and response time. Had one look at my truck and say he didn't want to tow "that piece of junk" with his shinny new tow truck. Another who didn't want to back his truck into my drive way because it wasn't concrete. The dirt and gravel might scratch the bottom of his tow bed. Wait time was almost always more then two hours. In all fairness I did have one driver look at my truck and let out a heart felt "Thank God". New driver, first day on the job and had been getting all high end cars and even worse had somehow gotten in trouble with one and had to call for a second wrecker.

I just bit the bullet and pay directly now, usually my mechanics on call wrecker service. Never had a problem since I started paying directly so nothing against tow truck drivers in general.

Old 07-08-14, 02:20 PM
Looks like that link is no longer current. But I'd say she has grounds to sue.

Old 07-10-14, 05:09 AM
Group Moderator
Here's the article:

http://www.winknews.com/Local-Florid...or-better-call

After reading it I emailed the author and pointed out a couple of errors:

1. Towing companies don't know when they are "next" on the list; they might make an educated guess, but there's no accessible status unless the Cape Coral PD does things way different from everywhere else.

2. The PD does not pay towing services for rotation calls, that is entirely between the vehicle owner, the towing service, and whoever's insurance company is involved.

I don't do rotation calls, but I have been on lower-paying calls and had to pass up something more lucrative because I was already engaged. Idiot companies like the one in the article give the rest of us a bad name.

Mark, if you had seen the blinding downpour (2"/hr, complete with thunder and lightning) that I was standing in yesterday afternoon while doing a hookup you'd know what I consider good customer service.

Old 07-10-14, 05:27 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
John, I wasn't trying to infer that you didn't treat your customers right like many small businesses do but that customer service is almost non existent with the bigger corporations.

I don't know for sure but I think the local tow companies pay a fee to be on the PD call list. Don't they all work that way? I know the tow charge is always paid by the customer.

Old 07-10-14, 06:51 AM
Super Moderator
2. The PD does not pay towing services for rotation calls, that is entirely between the vehicle owner, the towing service, and whoever's insurance company is involved.
I had to be towed one time when my car crapped out (simple issue but couldn't find it in the dark when it was raining) in a travel lane. Police stopped and asked if I needed him to call a tow truck. I said yes, but when the driver got there and we were on the way back to my house, he told me it would be $85. It was only about 4 miles. I said, "Wow, prices have gone up since I did this." He gave me a card and said "Next time, if you call direct, you'll save $40. We charge more for police calls". The numbers are as I remember, it was 10 yrs ago, but I'm pretty close. Maybe something similar was meant in the story?

I know for the time I did it, we weren't paid by the LE agency either. If it was an accident with no driver available, we took it to our lot, otherwise they paid.

Old 07-10-14, 01:06 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Vic, they have a similar charge around here. I think they call it a 911 surcharge. I rarely need a tow truck but I know which local company is honest and reasonable and he's the only one I'll call and have instructed family members to do the same.

Old 07-10-14, 03:36 PM
Group Moderator
No offense taken, Mark, I knew what you were saying. My best tow buddy and I often roll our eyes at the instances we run across of customer dis-service in all trades/businesses.

It would be fairly uncommon for a company to have to pay to be on a rotation list. Generally all that is required is to have all the required equipment and storage facilities, etc. This varies, of course, by jurisdiction. Some regions/cities have some ungodly rules and regulations regarding law enforcement tows.

While it is true that if a stranded motorist lets the police call for a tow it then becomes a rotation call and theoretically subject to the higher rate, many reputable companies would only charge a regular tow rate as it's essentially a routine call that was routed through the PD and not an accident call that would involve time on scene, clean-up, paperwork, impound, etc. Even some otherwise reputable companies are not always willing to forgo the higher rate to make a few extra bucks. Not something I would do, much better P.R. to charge regular rate. The customer charged the rotation rate for a routine call is not likely to call back the next time they need a tow and will likely repeat the story of the overpriced tow to friends.

Old 08-03-14, 10:43 PM
In all material that the AAA sends out, and on their website, there should be a number of a regulatory agency for dissatisfied customers to complain to. A customer shouldn't have to repeatedly try complaining to the AAA or resort to the media.

Old 08-04-14, 10:31 PM
Group Moderator
A customer shouldn't have to repeatedly try complaining to the AAA or resort to the media.
Why not complain to AAA. They're offering a guaranteed paid service.

Old 08-05-14, 08:16 AM
Why not complain to AAA. They're offering a guaranteed paid service.
Yes, you should usually try to work things out with the company first but the article says "Wesorick tried to contact AAA to file a complaint. After several unsuccessful attempts she called WINK News Call for Action." That's not really clear but whatever Wesorick was trying to accomplish didn't work so at that point it's time to complain somewhere else and the media is unlikely to help, even though it did in this case.