Lost In Translation

Old 08-06-14, 08:43 PM
Group Moderator
Lost In Translation

Just one of life's little grins and maybe I made it more confusing.

I bought what was advertised as 3 capacitive styluses on Ebay. It was 3 for 1.74 (Buy it now - free shipping). Well the item was shipped from the US but apparently the seller is in China. I didn't receive 3 styluses. I received 3 packages containing 3 styluses each. I figured it was screw up by the sellers US fulfillment contractor so I emailed the seller in China just to let him know. Just being a nice guy and am now after the sellers reply still confused. and now a bit amused
Thanks for your message.
We are so sorry made you confused.
Thanks for your remind, we will improved our listing.
Any question, feel free to contact with us.
Have a nice day.
Isn't international commerce fun?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-06-14, 09:03 PM
ray,............the more i read you.........the smarted you get.....you are a credit to this forum.......ain't life grand!

that sticky you have on
Troubleshooting a dead receptacle or light, Basic Terminology & Other info

is very good and should be read by all.

Old 08-07-14, 04:12 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I've noticed on numerous occasions that the paper work that comes with low cost items made in the far east have crazy and/or incorrect wording but I didn't know that included customer service. Do you reckon your email made as much sense to them as theirs does to us

Old 08-07-14, 06:57 AM
Group Moderator
I figure less. Should have never used "heads up" I realized after the fact. Heaven knows how that translates.

What puzzles me more is the economics. It had to be shipped to the US then the fulfillment contractor sent it first class USPS in a padded envelope. It almost seems postage, shipping materials, and headlining cost would be greater then I paid not including cost of manufacturing and shipping even by the container to the fulfillment contractor in California.

Old 08-07-14, 12:52 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I remember putting together my son's first bicycle. Do what??? Engrish is funny!

BUT, let's not forget our common language folks across the pond. I refurbished and rebuilt British sports cars once. Hood = bonnet. Glove box = Cubby. Convertible top = lid. Trunk = boot. So getting a true maintenance manual is a real treat.

Old 08-07-14, 01:19 PM
Group Moderator
Don't forget the spanners Larry.

Of course my mother's old (American) cook books would be bizarre to a new generation of cooks and bakers. "Scald the chicken in boiling water before removing feathers.", "Beat the batter 200 times".

Last edited by ray2047; 08-07-14 at 03:20 PM.
Old 08-07-14, 01:46 PM
Seems that most of the things I get from China (via Ebay) don't have ANY instructions.

Old 08-07-14, 01:52 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Some of the lawyer written instructions on USA made items are just as bad but they do make you chuckle; sanding sponge warning label - you must where goggles and a respirator, plastic saw blade clock - not to be used on a saw for cutting, utility knife blades - wear leather gloves and goggles when opening package and/or installing blades. I know they have to cover their butts against lawsuits but it seems like common sense has been tossed out the window!

Old 08-07-14, 03:24 PM
Group Moderator
Instructions on an AMD CPU I bought for a computer I built said not for use in a human body. Dang, I guess that rules out use in DIY pacemakers.