Has every question ever, been answered and stored on the Internet?

Old 08-09-14, 03:34 PM
Super Moderator
Has every question ever, been answered and stored on the Internet?

Saw a car on a movie as I was channel surfing, just wondered what it was. First hit on a search ID'd it as a '72 Sebring Plus. I mean, seriously? Using the right search terms it seems like everything you ever wondered about is out there. What rifle did that guy use in that movie...boom...database for that. How do you lay carpet...boom...massive You Tube and other instructional videos. Where is this podunk location located...boom...a map appears.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-09-14, 03:40 PM
Group Moderator
In the Mentalist TV show I was puzzled by the weird car Jane drove. Bingo, first hit the Internet tells me its a Citroen DS21.

Name:  GW318H182.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  9.5 KB

Old 08-09-14, 04:58 PM
You will find an answer to any question you have and all the associated conspiracy theories.

Old 08-09-14, 05:16 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Wifey always has goofy questions for me. I use a search engine, and BAM, I'm the smartest man in the world, all of a sudden. Only lasts a few minutes, though

Old 08-09-14, 05:59 PM
Super Moderator
Well on the flip side my daughter wanted a certain doll when she was younger. Well any search criteria with Barbie in it brought up many XXX sites... ( I had to cover her eyes many times as we were searching)....

Old 08-09-14, 06:22 PM
I doubt seriously that there is very little that you can't look up on the internet some of it kind of scary in a way. Like for instance these websites that can look up personal information about people. A few years ago I reverse looked up a phone number using a pay website from some con men who had been to our house. So with the bad also comes some good too that is helpful and in our case alerted us to some really bad folks who had charged us some money for something we didn't need.

Old 08-10-14, 05:18 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
One thing they have not managed to make Google-able is Common Sense. That comes from a good parent nurturing their children and teaching them right from wrong, and the ways of the world. But given the "Me" and the "Now" generation, I'm not sure we are doing such a good job.

Old 08-10-14, 06:35 AM
Many human decision still don't have internet answers, like which floor pattern will the wife like. Colors, decor, functionality, maybe we will still be needed for something 50 years from now. (I'll be gone).

Is the internet currently collecting the data for the computer brain of the future?

Bud

Old 08-10-14, 08:14 AM
Group Moderator
Many human decision still don't have internet answers, like which floor pattern will the wife like.
And yet that kind of question is asked and answered on this forum every day.

Old 08-10-14, 08:26 AM
I don't think every question has been answered.

The administrator doesn't want anyone to ask him/her questions. I was directed to ask a mod and as soon as I determine how to contact a moderator to ask questions how the site works we'll be getting closer.

QUESTION: How do I search for replies I've made? Entering my user name in the box and clicking search basically tells me to get lost.

Old 08-10-14, 08:29 AM
Super Moderator
How do I search for replies I've made?

SeniorCitizen

Click on your user name. Then click view forum posts....

Old 08-10-14, 09:05 AM
OK, thanks.

Next question. Is there a better way to contact a mod than posting so off topic to this OP?

Thanks, SeniorCitizen

Old 08-10-14, 09:12 AM
Super Moderator
Yes, you can PM. Like you did me the other day. Did you not receive my reply?

Old 08-10-14, 10:07 AM
Yes Gunguy45, I did receive and solved that problem. I thought I thanked but if it didn't I apologize.

I am having trouble locating a Mod to ask and suspected there was a list to choose from I was missing.

Old 08-10-14, 10:33 AM
Super Moderator
Ask what? Gunguy45 IS a mod.
However, if you're looking for a specific mod, go up to "Quick Links" on the right side of the toolbar, click on it, and choose "forum leaders" from the drop down list. This will take you to a list of all the mods on here.

Old 08-10-14, 10:51 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I encourage you to post specific questions regarding a DIY project on the forums rather than asking a moderator. It will give you a wider spectrum of answers to choose from (opinions), or it will be direct and to the point (technical issues).

Old 08-10-14, 11:03 AM
In regard to the search function...I have found that it is really hit or miss and generally speaking it is easier to simply ask the question in the open forum.

Old 08-10-14, 11:07 AM
And what topic would you suggest I choose from? Believe me, I've looked for " ask site questions " and found none.

Old 08-10-14, 11:16 AM
Ask in whatever category you think it fits, a moderator will move it if necessary. Or just ask here in the chats and discussion forum.

Old 08-10-14, 11:39 AM
Super Moderator
And what topic would you suggest I choose from?
Depends on the question. I'm not clear on what you're asking or wanting.
If it's a general question about using this site, then General Chats would be the one.

Old 08-10-14, 12:10 PM
Group Moderator
To search the forum use Google Advanced Search and in the Site or Domain box (9 boxes down) enter "doityourself.com".

Old 08-11-14, 09:49 AM
I hope this topic hasn't been too de-railed to continue, because I'd like to take it in yet another direction ;-)
On the issue of "stored on the internet"--I'm finding this scarier every day. Lately I've been nagged by Facebook to install their new Messenger app. Messaging ON Facebook will be discontinued soon so you MUST use their new-improved app to directly contact a member. During installation it asks for permission to essentially be able to do or view anything and contact anyone it pleases. From *my* phone--reassuring the receiver that it's safe & legit. It even wants permission to activate the camera and/or take pictures without my consent or knowledge. Now isn't that a fun idea?
Pretty soon the internet WILL know everything there is to know about us--and we'll have given it permission to do so. What happened to the days--not at all long ago--where we created fake names and anonymous user IDs in order to protect our identities?

http://thebull.cbslocal.com/2014/08/...messenger-app/

Old 08-11-14, 10:28 AM
I have refused to have a Facebook account or any of the other "social media" for reasons that include the data mining. Even my E-mail accounts are opened with completely false names and addresses making it a bit harder to ascertain just who and where I am.

Also, there are thousands, if not millions, of questions the Internet does not have an answer for. Such as, why can't I win the state lottery, even when I DO buy a ticket? Why is my sister such a jerk? Why does g-d hate me? Okay, that last one is irrelevant since I am an atheist but I could ask why so much I try to do ends up being a pile of manure. Even simple questions like why does Douglas have to try to bring the whole outdoors inside with his tail?

Search this Thread