MY rant for the day...

Old 08-29-14, 11:00 PM
MY rant for the day...

I have a solid block of high-density foam for a mattress. It is about 6 inches thick and is the most comfortable mattress I have ever had. Unfortunately, it now seems that someone has decided that mattresses need to be a minimum of a foot thick if not closer to a foot and a half. Every single set of sheets I see these days states, "Fits mattresses 15 inches thick" or sometimes as thick as 18 inches. These DO NOT FIT my mattress and it irritates me to no end.

Do people REALLY like having to use a stepladder to get into bed?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-29-14, 11:36 PM
Group Moderator
I know..... have you seen some of those beds. No thank you.

Old 08-30-14, 12:24 AM
I stand about 5' 10" and I see beds that are almost to my elbow. Just the thought of trying to get on/in or even get out without injury makes my back hurt.

Old 08-30-14, 04:15 AM
We have a high bed to start with and when the wife (without talking to me) came home with a new box spring and mattress it was comical. I ended up removing the slats and stacking them on the floor inside the railings, still quite high. At least it ends the accumulation of dust bunnies under the bed.

Bud

Old 08-30-14, 04:42 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I like a tall bed as it's easier to get out of in the morning.
Furd, your mattress sounds comfortable I like a firm mattress. Back in the early 70's I bought a 1 bed rm mobile home that had the floor/ceiling rounded at the back. To keep from having to buy a bed and cut of the legs on one side I built a bed frame and then sheeted it with a hollow core door slab I had. I bought a thin mattress to set on top - that was the most comfortable bed I've ever slept in!

Old 08-30-14, 10:34 AM
Group Moderator
My ex-mother-in-law is 5'0" and she needs a stool to get in and out of bed, as it comes up almost to her arm pits

Old 08-30-14, 11:01 AM
Super Moderator
Back in the Navy all the ships I was on had 3" thick hard black foam mattresses. I slept like a baby. My last ship about a year before I left, for some reason the guy in charge decided to upgrade our mattresses. The replacements were about 5" thick and stuffed with a softer chopped foam of some sort. It was like sleeping on a big lumpy pillow. Hated it.

Old 09-04-14, 12:51 AM
I guess I never asked the question, where do I buy sheets to fit my mattress? The common ones don't come even close to fitting.

Old 09-04-14, 04:14 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
My wife buys our sheets at Sears. Our mattress is approximately 8" thick.

Old 09-04-14, 04:50 AM
My wife bought one of those. She now sleeps alone because it didn't come with a parachute.

Old 09-04-14, 06:56 AM
Rant Addendum

To the original rant I add that mattresses are no longer made to be flipped so when it does get a depression in the middle there's nothing you can do about it.

Old 09-05-14, 08:14 PM
Since we're on the subject of bedding rants, and have discussed mattresses and sheets, how about I add my two cents worth about bedspreads! It seems impossible anymore to buy a simple bedspread. Everything is now a quilt, comforter, or ensemble of 5-9 different items, whereas just a few years ago, a simple bedspread did the job of making the bed look presentable to the public with a minimum of effort. I hate making the bed anyway, and since I live alone, I'm not sure why I even worry about it, but at least with a bedspread, I can quickly make my bed passable if someone should venture past my bedroom door. But I refuse to buy a comforter or quilt, and have to "dress up" each pillow by slipping it into a matching cover, add various "decorative pillows", etc. If I have to do that every morning, I might as well just sleep on my couch! Ah, life is becoming too complicated!

Old 09-06-14, 01:17 AM
Beachboy, you're my kind of guy! I also live alone and I have NEVER understood the passion that women have for the bed being made. The ONLY time I make the bed is when I change the sheets. I like to leave the covers thrown open to allow it to allow the bedding to air out a bit. I did have a woman cyber friend that felt the same but unfortunately she lived in California.

As for quilts, shams, and all the rest...I like a simple quilt and I got mine at K-mart. I have a queen-size bed but it also has drawers under it so a full/queen sized quilt is WAY too big and I had to buy a twin size to get one that fit decently. I despise having to buy all the "accessories" just to get a flat and a fitted sheet and I don't know why they insist on putting queen sized pillowcases in just because it is a queen-sized sheet set.

Mark, other than checking the "bargain appliances" store when I needed a refrigerator I haven't shopped at Sears for at least a decade. I guess I will have to take a look to see what they have in sheets. I should also check the other "cheap" stores as well, I just never think about it when I am at one. I did look at Target the last time I was there, maybe a couple of months ago, and all they had were the 14-18 inch mattress sheets.

My other complaint is that no matter how much of the sheet I tuck in at the bottom within a couple of days it is pulled out and flopping in the breeze yet at the same time the blanket and the quilt are going the other direction and I can barely pull them up to my waist. I just today got the bright idea of getting a tool roll-around top mat from Harbor Freight, cutting it in half and sticking it under the foot of the mattress. Those things are slightly sticky and maybe that would keep the silly sheet where it belongs.

Old 09-06-14, 05:27 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
My wife thinks the bed should be made every morning, I try to get busy with something else at that time but sometimes I have to help her and by her standards the bed has to be made just so with bed spread perfectly straight with the same amount hanging over each side. Personally, I think making the bed is over rated .... and my bed rm does have a door

Old 09-06-14, 10:03 AM
Super Moderator
Furd, maybe you should just buy flat sheets and learn how to make hospital corners. They do make sheet "garters" that span the corners and hold well.

I too don't make my beds. At least not unless it's a major house cleaning or I want to impress Momma with my diligence. I think it's rebellion against 15 yrs of having to make my bunk each day in the Navy.

Old 09-06-14, 10:16 AM
Group Moderator
I had two tails sewn onto my fitted sheets. The tails are shown in red. The tails are under the mattress which holds the sheet on.

Name:  bed.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  4.3 KB

Old 09-06-14, 08:22 PM
Hospital corners? Ain't a gonna happen. My (EX) wife wanted to train me to do that.

Seriously, the problem has always existed but it has exasperated to a new high with the oversized sheets. I suppose what I really need is a full-time maid but that is going to have to wait until I win the super lottery for the second time...and I'm still waiting for the first time in winning the simple state Lotto.

Old 01-01-15, 12:11 AM
Update.

I looked on line at places like JC Penney, Sears and independent cyber stores. The ONLY references I found for smaller depth sheets was at Ikea and one or two others. I DID find that many forums have people complaining about the exact same problem so at least I'm not the only one that thinks this new trend is insane.

I did find two places other than Ikea that had something to off but the prices were ridiculous. One had a sheet with a drawstring that was used to tighten it up under the mattress and the other company actually had fitted sheets to fit the thinner mattresses. Down side was that both companies wanted in excess of $50 for EACH sheet.

So once I get my medical problems sorted out (still haven't had that stone removed) I will take a trip to Ikea to see what they have. Down side of that is it will be a road trip as they are about 30 miles south of me and I don't travel well these days.