Phillips screwdriver size

Old 09-02-14, 04:14 PM
Phillips screwdriver size

The top (green) screwdriver in this photo came from an iPhone repair kit and the package said it is a "Phillips#00" screwdriver. It has a tip about 1.5mm wide.

But the bottom screwdriver (Craftsman) in the photo is labeled P-00, and it has a tip about 2mm wide.

Could the top and bottom screwdrivers really both be 00 sized, even though their tips are not the same size? The top screwdriver is closer in size to the middle screwdriver, which is labeled P-0000.

Here is a link to a larger version of the photo: http://i.imgur.com/dxbVOfT.jpg

[ATTACH=CONFIG]37576[/ATTACH]

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 09-02-14, 05:06 PM
I'm not an expert on this, but here is my opinion from sorting out some of this confusion years ago. I believe the sizes may refer to how pointed the tips are. A small size screw needs the flutes to come all the way to the tip. Larger sizes will be blunt at the tip to provide more engagement with the upper section of those flutes. To add some confusion, I ran into "American" standards vs "Japan". Much of the equipment I worked on was built in Japan and the more pointed phillips screwdrivers would bottom out in the screw slots before being fully engaged.

Maybe my suppliers had just found another way to get me and others to buy more tools, but in any case, they did work better.

Bud

Old 09-02-14, 08:29 PM
Like Bud I am not an expert but there are several "standards" regarding cross-point screwdrivers, what people generically call "philips" screwdrivers. The only two I can recall right now are the original Phillips and another called the Reed and Prince. They look identical but they are NOT the same. I wouldn't be surprised to find that there are American and Metric versions as well.

Old 09-03-14, 04:21 AM
Good morning Furd and sldiy,
Since we didn't have the internet when I was fixing machines I never read up on the differences, just did a search to see if I was remembering correctly, close. The difference I encountered was apparently a PhillipsŪ versus a JIS (Japanese Industry Standard). But here is a link which explains it better than I can.
JIS (Japanese Industrial Standard) | Screwdrivers | Hand Tools | VESSEL TOOLS

I also agree that there may be others, but apparently I just ream them out and install something else. BTW, I love torque.

Bud

Old 09-03-14, 02:18 PM
Let's not forget the pozidrive. That one is actually quite common. A pozidrive screw will have small tick marks between the crosses of the recess. You will find them on european style hardware and electrical receptacles.

Old 09-03-14, 02:32 PM
Super Moderator
It's a common problem and I doubt anyone can explain it completely. I have 2 small American made #1 phillips drivers...one is a old found driver from somewhere and one is a newer Craftsman. The very tips look identical in size, shape, and taper, but on the old one the flutes(?) go higher up the shaft and even though the handle is smaller, it will fit and loosen screws better than the Craftsman.

Same issue with a bargain bin "WirePro" vs a Craftsman #2, though the shaft and tips look identical. Even a switch tip Husky I have often works better.

I don't know exactly why, but I suspect it's the chrome shaft on the Craftsman vs black oxide or plain steel on the others. Though the Craftsmans are pretty chipped up (but not abused) so they should grip just fine.

I guess that's why I have about 3 examples of every common size as well as 2 sets of jewelers style?

Old 09-03-14, 08:14 PM
It's when you get to the very smallest phillips type head for laptop screws that you can run into problems. The heads of the screw drivers have to be really well made and the handles have to be made big enough so you can get enough torque as some of those screws in laptops are fastened down hard. The older you get the more you need glasses to see those really small screws and if you drop them in a carpet forget about them. If I do have any laptops that are no good though I take those and use them for spares. Mainly just a hobby right now but an interesting one