how to make money #2

Old 09-28-14, 06:07 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
how to make money #2

Starting a few days ago when I click on an article at a local newspaper website I got a message saying I've exceeded my allotment of free viewing and must subscribe if I want to read more than the 1st paragraph of any article. Curiosity got the better of me so I clicked to find out how much that would cost. Apparently you can subscribe online for free IF you subscribe to the printed addition at $15 per month or you can pay $17 per month for online only. I know printed newspapers are a dying breed but it looks like they want us to pay for the funeral

Fortunately there are news websites in the other nearby towns that don't have an online charge

Sponsored Links
Old 09-28-14, 08:02 AM
Group Moderator
Most newspapers have ads on their online sites. Does this newspaper have ads online? Traditionally even with dead tree news papers it was the ads that made the profit. The charge for the paper just helped cover delivery cost but of corse online costs a lot less to deliver. Sounds like a last ditch chance to save the paper or management that doesn't understand the digital age.

Old 09-28-14, 09:24 AM
Admin Emeritus

LOL!

I know printed newspapers are a dying breed but it looks like they want us to pay for the funeral
A never ending funeral. Always paying for it Many times over and over...

Some print magazines going the same way. On line only. I recently canceled one as a result. In print format appeals to me in all instances. News papers and magazines in print format can't be virus infected, traced, tracked, spied on, no cookies nor hacked......either....

No online fees nor anti virus software required. Done reading a print magazine, donate it to the local library, hospital, medical center or VA center, etc. in your community...

Fortunately there are news websites in the other nearby towns that don't have an online charge
Not as of yet at least. Give them time. Someday real soon it will be just like cable or satellite only TV... On line only. Pay in the costs of products purchased part of the expenses to advertise and then pay once again to see the ad on your paid for cable or satellite TV!!! ($$$)...

My 2 Cents ()...

Old 09-28-14, 09:37 AM
Super Moderator
Our small local touts that you have full access to the Washington Post online edition if you get a paper sub to theirs. Uhhhh, why do I care about the Wa Post?

Their online is still free...but it's about 1/4 the content of the hard copy.

Old 09-28-14, 09:42 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I think most of the sites I visit have ads but they are almost always on the right side and I enlarge the screen so I can see better which has the benefit on removing the ads from my view. I don't know if the local paper is loosing money or what as I've been reading that paper on their website for 7-8 yrs. Must be a conspiracy to separate me from my money

Old 09-28-14, 11:19 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Our "bird cage liner" has an added charge for web access. We pay for basic print subscription, delivery charge, and web access charge.
The web is good when on vacation, and the wife likes it on her Kindle.

As to E mags, give me the print edition so I can dog ear bookmark it and leave it in the throne room between visits.

Old 09-28-14, 12:10 PM
The New York Times has been charging for on-line access for several years. The Seattle Times started charging for access either late last year or early this year. The Everett Herald (Everett is a city about 30 miles north of Seattle) also charges for on-line access after X number of times a month.

It is the way of the future for newspapers to charge for on-line access.

Old 09-28-14, 01:42 PM
I used to like looking through the newspaper especially the funny pages on Sunday but as you get older you don't care to get a wet soggy paper or to have to trudge through the snow because the newspaper person couldn't get it on your porch. My elderly mom still likes it so we keep it coming but I really think it is a big rip off especially during the week as the paper has very few pages to it. I can't convince her to use the computer though and she likes the crossword although she says they make it a bit too hard for her.

Old 09-28-14, 03:19 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I find the online version easier to read. Probably a combination of the larger print and lighting. I noticed earlier when I was on my laptop that I could access articles at that website. I wonder if clearing the cookies would let me read them on my desktop ??

Back when I had the paper delivered I had to drive to my mailbox to get it [1/2 mile round trip] and I'd really get aggravated when the paper man hadn't run yet

Old 09-29-14, 04:25 AM
Group Moderator
If my rates go up much more I may have to opt for on-line. In 2001 it was $115/yr. My last renewal was $211. The biggest increases have been since 2008; hmmm, wonder why that would be.....

Unfortunately I LIKE having paper media in my hands.

Old 09-29-14, 04:46 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
My wife prefers the printed paper but that might be because of all the sales papers/coupons. I have a hard time with newsprint - it gets blurry in a short while

I deleted the cookies on my desktop and I still can't access the articles but I can on my laptop

Old 09-29-14, 11:17 AM
Marksr have you tried a different browser and then maybe using an anti-virus program that would delete cookies? Also you sometimes need to clear your browsers cache which is done differently on different browsers. That might allow you to view the newspaper online.

Old 09-29-14, 11:39 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I haven't tried a different browser but that sounds like a good idea. I deleted the cookies but that didn't help. Avast runs a quick scan every morning at 7AM and a full scan once a week.

Old 09-29-14, 02:12 PM
What p*ss me off is that the comics are not included with the online version and is toted as complete paper on line. And certain online articles cannot be commented on by the readers.

Old 09-30-14, 06:54 AM
I'm in agreement with our Host--if it's not free online, it should be. There are many examples of business models where they hooked you with free, then started charging. People just leave since there are always free sites. Most of the pay sites eventually fail.

I hate ads but hate paying for anything on the 'net even more.

Frankly about one paragraph of local news is all I can digest anyways.

Old 09-30-14, 07:20 AM
Group Moderator
Not mentioned yet is Google News. It can be set to show local news you are interested in.

Old 09-30-14, 11:23 AM
Or Aol or Yahoo news which has some local stories. Some of those are a bit slanted one way or the other but are not bad articles. I also use the local television news articles and read some of the Facebook news feed which I don't pay too much attention to and mainly read it to be amused.

Old 09-30-14, 01:08 PM
I'm starting to look at the Yahoo quick banner news on their site as a daily routine. It gives a quick run down on current topics without having to read the whole thing.

I never thought to customize Google to my local area. I'll look into that.

My main source for daily news is ...in the following order:

1. Fox and Friends every morning. Although I'm not a great fan of Hasselbeck. Doocy, and Kilmeademake up for her. I liked Gretchen Carlson, she was hot and smart. I miss her comments.

2. Yahoo quick banners as I mentioned above.

3. NPR radio...Most anything.

4. Buffalo News. Mainly for the comics but the local and suburban news info is pretty good. But I don't like their politics.

5. Local TV and radio if I happen to be listening, which isn't often.

6. Last but not least the gossip at work. Which I consider entertaining.

Old 09-30-14, 02:06 PM
Group Moderator
For me it's late night talk show hosts. I figure if it is important they'll make a joke about it.

Old 09-30-14, 04:34 PM
The biggest mistake newspapers ever made was to make their product free online in the first place. Why would anyone pay for the actual paper if it could be had for free? And there is no way they are generating the same ad revenue online as they did in print. Online ads are far cheaper than print.

The biggest problem that regional papers have is that most of their news is a day old and from wire services. Those you can read online anywhere. So really their local reporting is the only thing that can make the difference. I find my regional paper to have terrible local reporting. There is a tiny local paper that runs weekly and is tossed in my driveway for free. That has great local news in it. Stuff you just won't find online.

Old 09-30-14, 05:19 PM
And I have to agree with you.

But just for fun lets follow this to it's natural conclusion. Print cost keep rising, advertising dollars begin to dry up totally (And let's assume the WWW stays free.) Subscriptions dwindle to almost nothing....papers go out of business while we all get our news via Internet or TV. News outlets (former papers) try to charge for news but it just doesn't catch on.

At some point a small business entrepreneur tries to print a small localized (neighborhood paper) with local businesses advertising in it (see Penny Saver). And it takes off because the local citizens want something to read on paper. Subscriptions grow and paper expands to city and region. And we start all over again. And we live happily ever after.... NOT!

Hey, it seemed good there for minute.

Old 10-01-14, 06:56 AM
Super Moderator
Look at some of the major magazines. Wasn't it Time (or Life? or Newsweek?) that went all digital to appeal to the phablet set? Then about a year later they got bought out and went back to a print version also?

I can understand charging for full online content of a print newspaper or an enhanced version with video and more content, but not above the normal price for just a full copy of the print version. That should be included with a delivery subscription. You should even get a discount if you only use the digital side. Our little daily here has a lot more in the print version than the online (just major stories and events online), so they don't charge for access.

I like magazines I can hold and quickly scan back and forth or dogear a page to mark it. If I was a phablet type, I wouldn't want to be holding it while I was in the "reading room".

Old 10-01-14, 07:03 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
You should even get a discount if you only use the digital side
That is what bumfuzzles me! I know the old online version of the paper didn't include everything that is in the printed paper but it was enough to keep me informed. I don't understand how/why they would charge more for online only.

For now I still have full access with a different browser or different computer.

Old 10-01-14, 01:59 PM
Almost all our local print newspapers around here are going to pay subscriptions for digital access. Most of them want just as much for digital-only access as they charge for a full print subscription. The one local daily paper that I subscribe to in print form, touts "free" digital access for print subscribers, but upon calling them, they told me that applies only if I sign up for automatic monthly payments from my bank account. I've been a continuous subscriber for 30 years, paying semi-annually by check, but evidently that doesn't classify me as enough of a loyal customer to bestow internet access to. I really don't like having to give them authorization for automatic monthly payments from my bank account --- trying to stop an automatic withdrawal, once you start it, can oftentimes be impossible.

Old 10-01-14, 02:04 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I'm not fond of automatic withdrawals either. The best way to stop them is to go thru the bank ... of course than you have to listen to the company complain that the automatic withdrawal didn't go thru even though you already notified them.

Not sure why but it doesn't seem like a loyal customer means as much to companies as it did years ago. They seem to be more concerned about the customers they just got and could care less about the long time customers

Old 10-01-14, 03:24 PM
Super Moderator
And what's the deal with auto withdrawals anyway? It's not like a real person is processing an electronic transaction anyway? Why would they require/want that? Maybe I'm mistaken and there is actually a fee they pay for the processing?

Matter of fact, that's probably correct. The processing companies DO charge a per transaction fee, which is why many businesses are happy if you use a debit card instead of a credit card. The fee is less. I'm sure it's similar with an auto-pay thing.

Little known fact (unless it has changed...and I don't think it has)...direct deposit of paychecks/tax refunds/retirement also allows them to withdraw from the account.

Old 10-02-14, 04:31 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
direct deposit of paychecks/tax refunds/retirement also allows them to withdraw from the account.
As in a service charge coming out of your checking/savings account?
My SS check is direct deposit and with my bank there is no service charge because I'm over 55, in fact I even get free checks. I pay some of my bills online and while our electric company has that option - they have a steep service charge if you pay online .... and you'd think an online payment would be cheaper for them to process than a mailed in payment or one paid in person.

Old 10-02-14, 07:16 AM
Super Moderator
No, not a service charge. I mean, like if they double/over paid you your income tax refund for some reason, they can go back and take it out w/o your permission. There are other circumstances I read about as well. Something like, if you were getting a paycheck DD and your employer realized they had been over paying you for 6 months, they COULD go back and take it all out of your account at once. Basically it's not just a one-way authorization to make deposits.

I'm not positive about this, this was back when DD was relatively new.

It is odd that some companies do a service charge for it. Most banks and CU's waive service fees of any sort if you do DD for SS or paychecks. I think when it comes to payments online, it's because many companies contract out the processing, so instead of reducing their payment to pay for the service, you have to pay for the "convenience". Our property taxes can be paid with a check or card in person for free or a mailed in check is free. If you want to pay by phone with a card or checking account #, you get re-directed to an outside company and pay a $5 fee. Yet, my city water can be paid over the phone by both methods for no charge. Used to be that the cable company charged a fee for paying by CC but not for an auto withdrawal.

It's kinda crazy sometimes.....

Old 10-02-14, 07:51 AM
Group Moderator
Shouldn't the Windows 10 thread be retitled How To Make Money #3? Obsolete your product once a year and make sure the new product needs new hardware so you can get more money from both your customers and hardware partners. Obsolete any major software programs also so you can sell new versions.

If I was being really snarky I wonder if the AV and malware software producers are paying them not the build a OS without a registry.

Old 10-02-14, 07:55 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Ray, except for minimizing your original make money thread - that should be #1

Old 10-02-14, 02:51 PM
Shouldn't the Windows 10 thread be retitled How To Make Money #3? Obsolete your product once a year and make sure the new product needs new hardware so you can get more money from both your customers and hardware partners. Obsolete any major software programs also so you can sell new versions.
I understand. But lets give the devil his due. If not for Microsoft Windows (yea I know Apple and Linux is better) we would not have any standard to work with. Microsoft brought the common computing to the masses. And at a reasonable cost. With the ability to hack it. Just imagine if Apple was the overall standard? You think we pay a price now. In one sense I don't mind MS charging because it's keeping the OS fresh and in the forefront. Without constant update and changes (even though those changes seem to go backwards) the OS would wither and die out. To some degree it might be happening wit the dawn of Chrome and better Linux packages.

Old 10-02-14, 03:26 PM
Group Moderator
My Linux is five years old yet I have the latest version without having to install a new version. That's because I use a rolling release. That means changes are made almost daily and small enough that the whole system doesn't have to be changed.

In fair disclosure when KDE3 desktop went to KDE4 I did have to reinstall the base OS but I kept all my programs and most settings so I was back up in about 15 minutes.