Olympics should change direction

Old 10-01-14, 01:07 PM
Olympics should change direction

I've read some articles about the ghost towns left behind after each Olympics and wonder if a change isn't in order. Specifically, they should make it a requirement that most of the infrastructure created will have an ongoing purpose. I realize that everything the create can't be re-purposed, but much could be and should be part of each cities proposal. Seeing all of the waste left behind it is no wonder they have trouble finding new locations.

What other uses could you suggest?

Bud

Sponsored Links
Old 10-01-14, 01:51 PM
Group Moderator
Most of the cities also wind up loosing large amounts of money. Maybe the whole concept of the Olympics is flawed.

Old 10-01-14, 03:51 PM
Super Moderator
They make these bids for the Games...and offer all sorts of aid to get them there in hopes of recouping the cost. It's like building a spec home, but massively more expensive.

Some places it makes sense like a big skiing resort (Lake Placid or Aspen for example) that will re-use the facilities...but places like the Sochi where they had to make and import snow? That's just crazy. next thing they'll be having winter Olympics in Bahrain or Saudi Arabia because they can afford to build huge indoor venues.

I don't understand why they can't distribute the events around a country or area instead of building a village and huge support facilities.

Old 10-01-14, 04:03 PM
Group Moderator
I don't understand why they can't distribute the events around a country or area instead of building a village and huge support facilities.
I can answer that one..... security of the competitors.

Old 10-01-14, 04:08 PM
Super Moderator
I can answer that one..... security of the competitors.
But the same amount of protection could be provided if the competitors were distributed amongst several different locations I would think. The old eggs in one basket thing?

Ehhh...what do I know...

Old 10-01-14, 05:09 PM
Group Moderator
I think the entire direction of the Olympics should change direction. Look at films from the older Olympics. The competitors were having fun. Most of the athletes had day jobs. They were amateurs in their sports. Now we have professional's taking a hiatus from their pro career to join a dream team. Along with the escalation to professional athlete came the escalation of the venus. No longer were the Olympics an amateur event. They became big time, with big time money demanding world class venues.

Then national pride is often thrown into the mix. Athens was playing out of their financial league but wanted to put their name back on the map. Beijing was more than the Olympics to the Chinese Government. It was their coming out party for the world.

If you want to talk really crazy lets start the list for Sochi. What part of... "that" makes sense other than Putin funnelling money to his cronies. It's a location known for it's mild climate. Russia is an enormous country and has far better locations for a winter Olympics with existing infrastructure but Sochi lacked almost everything. What an incredible opportunity for lots of construction projects with the government paying insane prices to select few.

Old 10-01-14, 05:59 PM
Super Moderator

Instead of quoting....can I just give those to PD for expressing it clearly?

Olympics has always equaled amateurs in my mind...but the line is so blurred now...who can tell. Is it the best of he country being represented? If so, isn't that determined in many other ways?

I don't even watch it now...just read reports. I'm not staying up until 2 AM to see biathlon or skeet...if it's even available.

Old 10-01-14, 06:34 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
How 'bout women's volleyball, Vic??

Old 10-02-14, 05:56 AM
Group Moderator
I still avidly watch the Winter Olympics as it the only time many of the sports are televised in the US. And if you ever get the chance when in Utah or elsewhere it's really interesting to watch the skiers and snowboarders practicing their aerials and jumps into bubbling pools. Even with the wetsuit and life jacket a belly flop from 40 or 60 feet has gotta hurt.

Old 10-02-14, 06:39 AM
Group Moderator
How can basketball or hockey with professional players from pro teams be amateur sports?

Old 10-02-14, 10:03 PM
Group Moderator
Old 10-03-14, 05:27 AM
Group Moderator
Last night I saw on the news that Norway has dropped their bid for the 2022 Winter Olympics. Apparently the amount of investment needed is scaring countries away. Now the only remaining contestants are Beijing, China and Almaty, Kazakhstan. I'm sure China is chomping at the bit to be the first city to ever host both the summer and winter games. Beijing already has the buildings from the summer games but knowing them they'd probably do something crazy like knock them down and build something even bigger. Then there is the logistics. It can take an hour+ to drive out from the city center to the edge of town. The alpine events would be some distance (time) away from the arena sports. But... then the Chinese would probably: A: Ban the locals from driving during the games. B: Construct a high speed train to the alpine events. C: All of the above and cut the top off a mountain to build an airport.

Old 10-03-14, 07:58 AM
Super Moderator
And it's not just the Olympics... Look at the fiasco with the World Cup...didn't they spend something like $400M just on the main stadium?

That was funny Ray...that last girl was a real fighter!