Crater In Window

Old 10-01-14, 06:48 PM
Crater In Window

Not sure where to put this so I'll try here.

Son just called and said someone threw a rock or something at their window and there in now a bit of a crater in the glass. It didn't go all the way through and is smaller around than a quarter.

Big window, maybe 6' x 4'. Plate glass??

I suggested he call one of those places where they fix chips in windshields. Any idea if this will work, I have no idea?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 10-01-14, 07:02 PM
Group Moderator
Just like on a windshield, it might keep any micro cracks from spreading. Or they might tell you that they can't work on plate glass.

Old 10-01-14, 09:41 PM
If this is insulated glass then there just might be a very small hole that can't be easily seen. If so then I suggest having it replaced.

Old 10-03-14, 11:49 AM
Yeah, he called and said it is thermopane. Hardware store told him to bring the window down and they'll fix it for $500.

Old 10-03-14, 12:28 PM
I thought that might be insulated glass and unfortunately you can't repair that. In this area known only to my contractor we have a place that specializes in just that type of glass. I think our replacement glass was something like $150.00 per window not counting his labor but they were smaller windows too. So about the only good thing that came out of your sons window problem was his ability to do it himself. I wish these could be repaired onsite it would be cheaper but they can't. Our windows had failed and lost their vacuum.

Old 10-03-14, 01:54 PM
Thanks, after reading a bit today it will have to be replaced like you said. They'll probably wait till next summer to have it fixed, getting pretty cool now. I suggested he buy some clear 100% silicone caulk and fill the hole for now, no idea if that will help with fogging or not.

... his ability to do it himself.
I don't know about that, he has less patience than I do. And seeing it is a 42x64 window in an old house it could be a chore. We'll see.

Old 10-03-14, 03:24 PM
One other suggestion I would give your son besides the caulk which I think is a great idea is to use window wrap or at least I think they call it that. It is the stuff you put in front of windows in your house when you have single pane glass to keep the heat in. Normally for double pane glass that isn't a problem but with the loss of the argon gas they insert inside and the hole it will not hurt anything and might even keep the glass from fogging too much. If nothing else it will keep the house just a bit warmer.