Fake Judge

Old 10-13-14, 08:47 PM
Group Moderator
Fake Judge

Town says they didn't hire him, didn't know they were paying him, didn't know he was hearing the towns misdemeanor criminal case including traffic tickets. Towns traffic tickets could be thrown out among judge controversy | Investigates - Home

Sponsored Links
Old 10-13-14, 08:57 PM
Group Moderator
Only in Texas.............

Old 10-14-14, 05:22 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
How could he be acting as a judge and the city gov't not know it don't judges have to have a law degree and approved by the state?

In a small town near me one of their politicians thrown out of office because he either exaggerated or otherwise falsified his military record. He was in office for a long time [years] before the lie was discovered.

Old 10-14-14, 06:44 AM
I hope he has the decency to sequester himself from presiding over his own trial...

Old 10-14-14, 08:02 AM
Super Moderator
don't judges have to have a law degree and approved by the state?
In most areas that I know of...no. At least not for little things like moving violations or other tickets. Around here we have what are called Magistrates and they handle adjudication for things like that and small claims. Esp in the remote areas of the County. (This is the 7th largest County in the US. 13.5 K sq mi. Bigger than 9 of the States.) Yes, I think all of them are lawyers, but they don't have to be. Normally it's a way to step up to a judgeship. Some places also have Justice of the Peace (normally at the City or Town level) who have limited legal powers like marriages. tickets, etc. Now once you get to Superior Courts here, they have to be approved by the State and I believe recommended by a panel of the State Bar or a Judicial Review board?

Did you know that there is no requirement for a law degree or being a member of the Bar to be on the SCOTUS?

Old 10-14-14, 08:05 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
"Recuse" is the word. Yes, i don't think there is much of a chance of him being involved in an official capacity.

Old 10-14-14, 09:24 AM
Group Moderator
Until rather recently (last 20 years I think) you didn't have to go to law school to be an attorney in Texas. You only had to pass the state bar exam.

Old 10-14-14, 09:42 AM
Super Moderator
Still the same in CA and several other States I'm pretty sure.

Old 10-14-14, 04:10 PM
The Lone Star is sure dropping the ball lately.

Search this Thread