no water again

Old 10-15-14, 03:15 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
no water again

About 1.5 yr ago the county 'rebuilt' our single lane bridge at the start of our road. In the process they caused the water line to pop out of the creek bed. They said they wouldn't rebury the line because it belongs to the water company and not the county. The water company said it was the county's responsibility since they unearthed it.

I started calling late last summer worried that cold weather might freeze our water supply but the water company claimed they were always too busy. Surprisingly the water main only froze once. But a storm last winter ripped the pipe in two. So they put it back together but left it dangling above the creek. They said they'd bury it when the weather warmed up.

Fast forward to last night and the storm water ripped the pipe in two again I know they will have to wait for the creek to go down before they can make repairs so it might be tomorrow before we get water Wonder what excuse they'll use this time to not repair it correctly

Ok, I'm done ranting. Guess I'll open another bottle of water to make coffee.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-15-14, 04:48 AM
You are far more patient than I am. I would be sending copies of all correspondence and a detailed history of what has transpired to the PUC and whatever agency governs the county, along with state and local politicians. I would notify them that unless this is properly taken care of ASAP by whomever accepts responsibility the next letter they get will be from an attorney.

Since this is water district and county, what does your town/city say? Is the water company owned/run by the town or independent?

Bud

Old 10-15-14, 04:52 AM
Super Moderator
You are far more patient than I am. I would be sending copies of all correspondence and a detailed history of what has transpired to the PUC and whatever agency governs the county, along with state and local politicians. I would notify them that unless this is properly taken care of ASAP by whomever accepts responsibility the next letter they get will be from an attorney.
x 2.....................................................

Old 10-15-14, 06:34 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
There is a construction company in a nearby town that owns several of the water districts. As far as I know the only gov't oversight pertains to water quality. My wife called several of the neighbors before she went to work to get them to complain also. Don't know how effective that will be but time will tell.

I've gotten used to being without running water Because I'm on top of a tall hill [little mountain] I have low water pressure and it's rare for a month to go by without loosing water. A water break or service done most anywhere in the system drops the water pressure enough to prevent the water from making it to my house. It is better than it used to be, 20 yrs ago taking a shower was a scary thing - you didn't know if the water would last until you were done.

Old 10-15-14, 07:03 AM
We have a "public utilities commission" but it looks like you have the TRA (Tennessee Regulatory Authority) Tennessee Regulatory Authority (TRA)

They may have some leverage they can apply.

Bud

Old 10-15-14, 12:47 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The water is back on

They still didn't bury the line under the creek but this time instead of the 2" main dangling above the water it's encased in a 6"-8" black pipe that is resting on the creek bed. I assume as long as it stays covered with water there won't be any freeze issues this winter.

Last time the pipe broke it took 2 men with a backhoe over 12 hrs to get the water back on. Today they had a trac hoe, 2 men and a girl and got it done in 6 hrs. That girl must really be a worker

I ran the outside spigot until all the brown water was gone. Do you think the water will be safe for coffee in the morning?

Old 10-15-14, 12:55 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
It'll look like coffee, anyway . Next time, call a local news crew. News at 11 always gets under the skin of government.

Old 10-15-14, 01:00 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Our city water comes from a privately owned company .... and they are pretty arrogant Pretty much all they are really concerned about is getting your money. Back when a new tap was $600 I paid them and when I inquired 3 weeks later why it hadn't been installed they let me know in no uncertain terms that they didn't have time and would get to it when they got to it!

Old 10-15-14, 01:04 PM
Group Moderator
Coffee? Ugh. What a horrible thing to do to water....

Old 10-15-14, 02:08 PM
Group Moderator
I think just in self defense I invest in three or four 55 gallon food grade drums.

Old 10-15-14, 02:18 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Mitch, at least it isn't as bad as what WC Fields said about fish and water.

Old 10-15-14, 02:27 PM
Group Moderator
Had to look that up but yeah, ok, coffee wins that one

Old 10-15-14, 04:14 PM
In NJ it varies from town to town as to who owns the water. There are private water companies that supply water to the towns and they own the infrastructure as well in some. My town owns its own water company and infrastructure. We have some town wells but are required to purchase water during a certain time of year from the private utilities. I'm not sure the details on this, but I think it happened when they built the new reservoir and needed to make sure it was paid for. The private companies have oversight and complaints can be made about things you are experiencing.

Old 10-16-14, 03:30 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I think just in self defense I invest in three or four 55 gallon food grade drums
Probably not a bad idea but then you have to deal with finding a good place to store them. We used to keep about 10 gallons of water on hand for when the water went out but have gotten kind of lax in recent yrs since we don't loose water like we used to. We were kind of shocked when we realized besides bottled water we only had 1 gallon put back.

Forgot to mention that because they were working next to the bridge yesterday the mailman used that as an excuse not to deliver mail to the holler. When they 'rebuilt' the bridge we didn't get mail for almost a whole week .... whatever happened to "neither wind, nor rain or snow ..."

Old 10-16-14, 12:40 PM
Admin Emeritus
Mark

Solution: Build your own water tower! Buy the materials. This site has the most highly skilled professional contractors and trades persons anywhere. It's a one day DIY project! Supplies are delivered call. We'll all show up! Labor will be surprisingly low......

The initial tank fill up will be shockingly expensive......but the cost will be worth the peace of mind....

Old 10-20-14, 12:04 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
One of my sons friends came by yesterday along with his father who is one of the top workers for the water company. He said that the EPA won't let them bury the pipe under the creek like it was originally. He seems to think the new repair will last a long time, I hope he's right but in less than a week the pipe they laid on the bed of the creek has been undermined and is about 4"-6" off of the bottom. But at least it isn't hanging in the air like it has been for the last year!

Old 10-20-14, 12:21 PM
Super Moderator
Mark...take a trip out here and pick up a couple of water tanks. You can buy them darn near anywhere. TSC, TruValue, Ace, even HD I think. You have your choice of square, round, transportable, permanent...whatever. Couple of those will keep you going during outages. I can't believe people still haul water out here.

Old 10-20-14, 12:55 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Vic, while a case could be made for erecting my own water tower - the effort/expense is more than I'm willing to take on. I understand why some folks still haul water where you live. About 30 yrs ago I worked with a boy that had property out your way. He told me that he paid $15k for his well but it went dry every July and August. I was shocked that it cost that much but he said it was a bargain. At that time a 100' well if fla ran about $1k

Old 10-20-14, 08:49 PM
Super Moderator
He must have had to go pretty deep. I know some of our city wells are in the 1000-1200 ft range, but I talked to a guy in Wikieup (about 40 miles from us near the Big Sandy) and he only had to go 300-400 ft as I remember. About $1k, of course he could have known someone.

Oh. and I wasn't suggesting a water tower...just a tank that is fed from your supply and then available if the main is out. Small pump or uphill from the house will at least give you something.

Old 10-21-14, 03:31 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I didn't think about a pump I was thinking about improving the water pressure which a pump would also do. The water pressure down in the holler probably averages 75-100 psi but up top I average 25-30 psi with loss of pressure at least once every month. btw - I am on top of the hill

Old 10-21-14, 07:15 AM
Super Moderator
Of course I forgot about the temp issue also. Not really a problem here except for those that may live up in the mountains. And of course those that haul in the flats all have some sort of booster pump. Gravity feed wouldn't cut it.

Search this Thread