A The_Tow_Guy Question

Old 10-15-14, 05:14 PM
Group Moderator
A The_Tow_Guy Question

Got to take a ride in a tow truck today. Really fancy seats but I didn't see any seat belts. Couldn't find one on my side (just a chicken bar on the dash) and the driver wasn't wearing one. Are tow trucks an exception to the seat belt rule because they are commercial?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-15-14, 05:42 PM
Big rigs have seatbelts. So I doubt there is some kind of commercial exception to the rule. Usually the exceptions are vehicles that don't get into many crashes like buses. I'm not sure if that is still true, but they certainly are putting them in newer versions.

Since we are on the topic of seat belts, I caught a couple episodes of that show Southern Justice. They follow some Sheriffs around in TN. They are certainly doing things a bit "old school" down there. Anyhow, the one cop was in a high speed pursuit with no seatbelt on. That sort of thing surprises me.

Old 10-16-14, 03:51 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I live in that county featured on southern justice and I'm pretty sure the deputies are required to wear their seat belts. A yr or so back 2 deputies were involved in an accident and were cited for not wearing seat belts.

If I read [and remembered] the paper correctly, the sheriff dept gets $5k per episode of the show

Old 10-16-14, 04:16 PM
Nice on the payment!

Nice to see what kind of place you live in. If you ever watch the show, pay close attention to the seatbelts.

The one episode, they chased a guy in his car and he got out and ran. He wound up on someone's back deck and pretty much gave up. He was standing at the top of about 4 steps. The sheriff jumped the chain link, ran up to the guy, grab him by the shirt and slammed him face first into the dirt. Then another sheriff jumped on him on the ground and started giving him some body punches.

Old 10-16-14, 05:35 PM
Super Moderator
Where the heck is he, TTG I mean?

Old 10-16-14, 05:59 PM
Group Moderator
Where the heck is he, TTG I
His truck broke down. He is waiting for a tow.

Old 10-17-14, 04:01 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
His truck broke down. He is waiting for a tow
1st chuckle of the day

Old 10-17-14, 06:24 AM
Group Moderator
Ha, ha, ha.

Short answer: no. Personally I don't put the truck in Drive until I buckle up.

Old 10-26-14, 11:10 AM
the only vehicle I can think of that is exempt from seatbelt law is school buses and citybuses,

schoolbuses: due to the high back seats, if it stops short, nobody will go flying too far, but all newer ones from 1995 and up now have them,

personally, as soon as I got on one, I buckled it up, slight incident when I was about 8 involving a bus without them, I went flying and hit the ceiling and landed in seat in front of me when bus hit a bump in road (change from asphalt to cobblestone)

the biggest worry now is if it rolls over due to an accident or careless driving, less bodies flying around or ejected from vehicle. I would rather be hanging upside down by the nylon webbing strap rather then be dead or seriously hurt

citybuses, if they did, by time you buckle up, its time to unbuckle it to leave at your stop, only time you see seatbelts on them is when they are strapping down a wheelchair user.

Old 10-26-14, 04:06 PM
Buses aren't required because of the low accident rate. But when they are involved in accidents, there are a lot of injuries. The high back seat doesn't mean anything as you know from personally experience. I buckle up whenever a belt is available.

Old 10-27-14, 03:45 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I would rather be hanging upside down by the nylon webbing strap rather then be dead or seriously hurt
When my oldest son was young he had quite a few accidents Once he rolled his car over, he was seat belted in and received no injuries .... until he undid the seat belt and came crashing down. Fortunately that only resulted in a knot on his head.

Old 10-27-14, 03:53 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
A couple of years ago, in Georgia, it was legal not to wear seat belts in "trucks". Once it filtered down to mean pick up trucks, legislation went to flying. Now, even tractor trailer drivers must be buckled in. Even my ZTR has a seat belt, but you are advised against wearing it unless the ROPS is erected as a roll bar over your head. I keep mine retracted to keep it from hitting tree limbs. Just takin' chances, I guess