Hang tough Bermuda

Old 10-16-14, 06:29 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hang tough Bermuda

Bermuda is about to get slammed by a direct hit from a huge Hurricane. My thoughts are with them....

I won a "Salesman of the Year" award with a major company in a previous life in corporate America before going into business for myself. It was a year long sales growth contest and I kicked a$$. All expenses paid trip for 2 to Bermuda. Was one of the best trips of my life. It's Beautiful there (I guess the free part helped). Hope there is not too much damage.

Was back in the late 80's... seems like it was just yesterday.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-16-14, 10:59 PM
I think Bermuda is beautiful too but I sure wouldn't want to live there as they have to rely upon cisterns for water. So for Bermuda a huge storm can be both a blessing and a curse. All of the water at the hotels is purified many times over but the residents drink the water directly from the roof. I remember all of that from episodes of This Old House when they went to Bermuda. It was interesting and you were able to see parts of Bermuda that are usually not included on tours and some places that are.

Old 10-17-14, 04:26 AM
Another life for sure. Cruise Ship in the early 70's and it was beautiful. Rented those motor bikes and fortunately we didn't kill ourselves.

Hold on tight and wish you the best.

Bud

Old 10-17-14, 05:06 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Bud, I loved the mopeds - Almost killed myself on multiple occasions. One was that they drive on the wrong side of the road which is very disorientating to say the least. I also came into town and saw my first cruise ship which was parked 1/2 block from the street. I was so in awe at the size of the ship, that I almost ran the red light into oncoming traffic.

Old 10-17-14, 06:24 AM
Ya, we had a great time, shops, steel bands, and sight seeing, then retreated back to the ship for on-board entertainment. A couple of the cruise passengers weren't so lucky with the mopeds and their vacations ended early. I would return in a heartbeat if I were 20 years younger. I hope they hold most of the island together.

Note, I have lost faith in our weather exaggerators as every event seems to spawn a new superlative for something more disastrous than the last. It has gotten to where you're never sure what is going to happen and forecasting what will happen is what they were supposed to do, whether it boosts their ratings or not.

Bud

Old 10-17-14, 09:42 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Living in Hurricane Country, I have my own ritual to watch and track storms. BTW there are certain local weather personalities that I refuse to watch after they botched my first hurricane in 2003 (Isabel). 95% of the area had lost power and by default television, so they were simulcasting the TV on the radio. The broadcasters new this and eluded to it multiple times during the evening. Yet, there I am, huddled in the dark, in the back corner of my first floor with a radio trying to get any kind of update on the storms progress. From the radio, this is what I received - "As you can SEE, the storms center is HERE and it is moving in THIS direction".... Who the H3LL can see into a radio??? Its been 11 years, and I still can't stand the guy. No updates on a storm that raged for over 24 hours. We had no power for over 2 weeks.

Anyway, I follow the NOAA through the marine forecast offices discussions, Cyclocane.com which has forecast trajectories and computer models as well as local internet radar. I rarely watch local unless we have a supercell come through and we are on tornado watch.