Verizon Suspension Notice

Old 10-24-14, 09:39 PM
Verizon Suspension Notice

I normally have text messaging turned off on my phone but I had it on a few days ago trying to recover my Yahoo password (unsuccessfully) and had not turned it off. Anyway, tonight I received a text supposedly from Verizon stating I needed to update my account registration or else I would lose my service. It gave a URL to reply.

So I go to the URL and it "looks" like it could be Verizon, it has the logo and the red colors and all. It wants me to completely fill in my name, address, social security number, mother's maiden name, password AND complete credit card information. I started to do so but then thought, "Verizon has NEVER had my credit card info, they send me a bill both via e-mail AND snail mail so WHY are they asking for all this info?"

Do you think this was a phishing expedition?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-24-14, 10:59 PM
Super Moderator
Uhhhh yes? Same with the magazine subscription notices that are $20 more than you paid before. Scammers one and all.

Old 10-24-14, 11:03 PM
I dunno, Vic. This one knew my log-in and password and my "secret question". I did then go to the real Verizon site where I changed my password and that generated an immediate text alerting me to the password change. I'm going to go to the Verizon store in the next day or two and ask.

Old 10-24-14, 11:24 PM
Super Moderator
The SSN would lead me to believe it was phishing. No place that I know of asks for that anymore.

Old 10-24-14, 11:34 PM
I agree and with them asking about my credit card info I was really suspicious as I have never used my CC to pay the bill. Also, I have had this account for better than fifteen years and have never been asked to update any information.

I'll let you know whatever I find out.

Old 10-25-14, 02:43 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
phishing expedition!!!! Most definably, Only place they ask for SSN is doctor office and that is so thay can find you if you don't pay the bill, I don't give anymore and they never ask for it.

Old 10-25-14, 05:18 AM
This one knew my log-in and password and my "secret question".
What do you mean by this? You entered that info and it accepted it?

Old 10-25-14, 05:24 AM
Group Moderator
I vote for phishing expedition, too.

Side note; When you go the "Verizon Store", make sure it's a company store and not a "Premium Retailer". These are third party stores that sell Verizon products under license and you are not dealing directly with Verizon. Ditto when someone calls you on the phone and says they are calling for Verizon. My first question with these calls is, "Are you Verizon". They like to hem and haw and obfuscate around the question, but ultimately I discover they are nothing but a telemarketer using Verizon's name.

Old 10-25-14, 05:26 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
"Verizon has NEVER had my credit card info, they send me a bill both via e-mail AND snail mail so WHY are they asking for all this info?"
No company will ever ask for this kind of info, and you should never give it up. When you come across a phony web site like this, you want to send a link to Verizon so they can take steps to shut it down.
Chances are they already know about it and are taking steps.
Change your password asap and call Verizon to tell them your account may have been compromised.

Old 10-25-14, 05:50 AM
Super Moderator
One thing I know for a fact, when and if any company needs info, they'll always send a letter via snail mail. Never, ever by email or text.

Old 10-26-14, 11:00 AM
Lightbulb

I would call Verizon services (customer service desk) number on bill to report the suspected phishing scam attempt.

there has been though some notices saying about an attempt by someone getting into verizon and trying to get into customer information, and may require you to call VZ to reinstate the account (they locked it out for your protection)

if it was true, it will be a notice or note with your monthly service bill, I also get emails like this all the time asking me to input information to restore an account (email address) ignore it, it's some scammer looking to get into your account to use it for bad things.

if you do have paperless billing (bill notices in email) make sure the URL is same as the notice email's URL from sender, as well as URL in link (do not click, but hover over it.

make sure it starts with HTTPS://(site name) or has a lock icon.

Last edited by DOORDOCTOR; 10-26-14 at 11:01 AM. Reason: mispelling