Usps.com

Old 11-04-14, 04:40 AM
Usps.com

Anyone have an account with the US Postal Service? Do you send packages by making postage paid labels on your computer? If yes, HOW?

I opened such an account about a year (maybe two) ago and I had no problem in printing my first label, paying for it and then sending the package by merely dropping it in a box at the local station.

BUT, ever since then when I try to do it I get all the way to the payment part and it is refused. It does not matter if I try to use VISA, MasterCard or PayPal it is refused. I thought that maybe it was because I was using a regular box rather than an official USPS Flat Rate box but today (after finding my login and password) I tried it with a genuine flat rate box and yet again the payment method was refused, it actually states it cannot be processed or something like that.

When this happened several months ago I sent an E-mail to the USPS asking why and they had no answer other than there were no problems on THEIR end so it MUST be a problem on my end. Does the USPS not recognize the most popular non-Microsoft browser in the world or what? Why did it work the first time? Does anyone have any idea?

I tried using Internet Explorer but the USPS site states that IE 8 or higher is required and it seems I have IE 7. Trying to upgrade to IE 8 or higher returns a message that I have to upgrade my entire OS, that XP is no longer supported. Yeah, I KNOW that XP is not supported but WHY have I gotten all those "upgrades" after the end of support if not to upgrade IE?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-04-14, 05:21 AM
I just got off the phone with the USPS. The woman was very nice but she had no idea why I keep getting the error messages. She said she would send the complaint up the ladder through the IT department and someone would contact me later today. She totally understood (at least said she did) when I told her the account was useless if I couldn't print out the labels.

(Yeah, this is for you, Larry. )

Old 11-04-14, 01:14 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Yeah, I use USPS online to send packages and print my own postage almost weekly. Don't understand why you are having problems. I just click on Ship a Package and Print Postage. I don't have an "account" with them, as I just use my company credit card information with each transaction. They keep it on file and it is a secure site, so it works for me. Graduate to the 21st century and change your browser to Firefox or Chrome. IE is so passe'. So you'd better get 'er straight pretty soon, hoss. Waitin'.

Old 11-04-14, 01:40 PM
Super Moderator
I'm sure it's the XP and old IE version. Whoever is on the phone is not an IT type.

I moved to 7 and upgraded to the latest IE, but use FF for almost everything with no problem. W7 is no problem to learn the difference from XP.

Sometimes we just need to put the old dog down Furd.

Btw...MS is still doing security updates for XP AFAIK, but no more compatibility updates.

Old 11-04-14, 03:24 PM
I think I know what your problem is Furd you need the latest version of Java and no not that kind of Java but the Java plugin update for your browser. I may be mistaken but I do believe that Java will no longer update on Windows XP. You can still find Windows 7 computers though at some stores and next year probably Windows 10 will be out and it looks much better although they still need to work things out. If you can't find what you need new look at Goodwill stores they have some fairly decent computers coming in and probably some that say for Windows 7.

I used to print all of my packages though through the USPS Click and Ship using Windows XP and now I do everything on my Windows 7 desktop with no problems. If you use a Java blocker too that could cause problems so if you use Firefox then allow all Java to go through if you are using something like no-script for Firefox. Java needs to work with banking websites too or you will be blocked from using their website. If you need any help setting up Windows 7 without the disk let me know I can help if you find an old computer that needs Windows on it.

Old 11-04-14, 06:16 PM
Larry, I've been using Firefox since the release numbers were in the low single digits, I have IE installed ONLY for use when Firefox doesn't work, which excepting this boondoggle, is never.

Vic, the problem started way before MS stopped supporting XP.

Hedge, I get Java updates and install them on a regular basis, I need Java for at least one of the daily crossword puzzles I do. That means that I DO have the latest Java. Maybe it is a problem with the Java being blocked but in all other Java applications I have gotten a pop-up asking if I want to enable Java for a one-time use or always and I will check always. I have never gotten a Java notice in regard to the USPS site.

I have no trouble at all using this computer to buy products with either credit cards or PayPal from any source. My on-line banking works without a hitch. It is ONLY with USPS.com that I have a problem.

I have three computers running XP, two are XP Pro and the third (currently not used) running XP Home. I have not the slightest desire to purchase new hardware as what I have works very well (with this exception) for all my applications. Going to new hardware and OS would require that I essentially junk ALL my current hardware AND programs. I am on a fixed income and am NOT going to drop a thou on new versions of my old MS programs just because my neighbor Bill (I know he isn't in charge of anything at MS anymore) needs another Aston Martin. I accept that SOME DAY I will no longer be able to get anti-virus software that works with XP but that does not seem to be a problem in the near term. When that day comes I will probably switch to a version of Linux rather than pay the extortion that MS wants.

BTW, the woman I spoke with today told me that I would be hearing back from them later in the morning. It is now 13 hours later and not a peep, either via telephone or E-mail. The last time I complained about this problem (many months ago) I received an acknowledgement via E-mail within a day but it took several weeks for them to send any kind of actual response and THAT simply stated they had no problems on their end so it MUST be my problem and thanking me for using USPS.com

Old 11-04-14, 07:56 PM
Since you are still getting Java updates and you are using Firefox then I don't know what to say. I agree by the way I would rather not give more money to MS myself and I like Linux and especially PCLinuxOs but I also realize that most newer printers will not work with Linux in any form unfortunately. So if you need to get a new printer you need to check and see if it has Linux drivers.

The reason I said buy a used windows 7 computer even without Windows on it is that you can download Windows 7 legally and re-install windows on a wiped drive if you still have the COA on the computer and it must match with the version. I did that myself with two laptops I bought here is the link to the article How to Install Windows 7 Without the Disc | PCWorld . Usually you have to call MS to activate Windows and then place numbers in a box and that is annoying but they repeat the numbers for you.

I built two new computers but before that and even to this day I still prefer to buy used and fix up what I need as I can't afford to buy new computers either. I especially can't afford some of the newer laptops and would much rather buy used. If you do go with Linux though I strongly suggest PCLinuxOS as that is a rolling distro meaning you can get your updates all online and then try to stay with HP printers as there is more support as far as drivers is concerned with Linux at least for now.

Old 11-08-14, 09:49 AM
Four days later and not a peep from USPS, remember they promised a response later the same day. I suspect it will be the same as last time, several weeks will pass and then I will get the , "Dunno, lady, it works okay for me. Must be YOUR prolem."

Larry, how are you able to print labels and pay for the postage without having an account? Or DO you have an account and just not realize it? Do you have a log-in and password? If yes, then you DO have an account.

I might try making a new account and see what happens.

Old 11-08-14, 03:38 PM
Oh, OK, then I guess it is an "account". I just thought it was logging onto their site. I still have to put my card number, etc. in whenever I go to pay for it. I was thinking an "account" as one that you just click and they bill you for it. My former UPS account was like that, but they kept billing me for shipments that I didn't make, so I cancelled it.

Old 11-08-14, 08:46 PM
I think I will just print up a common address label and then take it to the self-service scale at the PO at 3 AM. Heck, you're paying for it. I could have saved at least forty cents if I were able to print AND pay on my account.

Old 11-09-14, 01:47 AM
I went back on the USPS site to see if it would work. I found a "My USPS" button and that took me to a site where I could personalize my account even more. Going through the steps I found that they didn't like my address and they gave me an alternate. The ONLY difference is that I am accustomed to leaving a double space between the last number of my house and the first number of the street, I think it makes it more obvious they are two distinct number series. BUT, I guess the USPS doesn't see it that way.

Anyway, after doing that piddly little change it now seems to work. Now I have to put some clothes on, go to the PO and then stop by Wally*World on the way back. Yes, it will be 3 AM when I am out and about.

Old 11-09-14, 05:28 AM
But maybe you'll miss the "people" at WalMart that way

Old 11-10-14, 12:28 AM
Amazingly enough I have never seen any of the "people" made famous by that website at my local WW. I do admit that the people I DO see won't be winning any beauty contests (myself included) but nothing like the "People of Wal*Mart"

My favorite time to go is from about 5 to 8 AM on Sunday. The stockers/cleaners are finishing up and the unwashed masses are mostly still in bed so I pretty much have the store to myself. The biggest downside is if you need any kind of sales assistance you are SOL.

I also miss most of the traffic to-from home AND I get to park fairly close to the store rather than in the south forty.

Old 11-10-14, 02:33 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I agree the best time to shop and have same issues. Nice to shop whole store and park right in front.