Thanks

Name:  vet.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  49.6 KB

Thanks to all who have served !

Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-14, 03:48 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Yes, thank you! and not just on the one day set aside but all year long!

Old 11-11-14, 07:44 AM
Super Moderator
No Larry and Mark...thank YOU for your support!

I can only speak for myself, but I did it because I thought I could make a difference (ok, the retirement and medical helped). When you find something you are pretty good at and enjoy, it's not that difficult a decision.

The kids now (can I say that finally, at my age?) are the ones who sacrificed more, for less reward. I equate them to our rapidly decreasing WWII generation. Not that Korea and Vietnam vets deserve any less of course.

Old 11-11-14, 12:48 PM
Super Moderator
Oh...and this isn't about Vets exactly...but it really rings true...

"They also serve
Who only stand and wait."

And one other thing that sticks in my craw... Please don't say "Thank you for your service". Gawd, I hear that constantly and not just on Veterans Day. Just say "Thank you" and reach out your paw. It wasn't service, I was not your maid, butler, or waiter. Don't pay for my meal (until maybe I'm 90...if I make it). Just shake my hand and say thank you. It's what I do, to the elder WWII and Korean Vets I see. Same for most Vietnam vets unless they are really down and out...then I offer what I can to help, also with a thanks.

Old 11-11-14, 12:50 PM
Super Moderator
Damn...I guess I should take a break... One of those days for me. Like my Dads birthday, and 9/11, and when my big cat died. Very emotional time.

Old 11-11-14, 04:23 PM
Group Moderator
Didn't know sailors could be so emotional!

I confess mixed feeling about being thanked for my service. The recognition is nice, but really unnecessary. My daughter called me yesterday AND today [MC Birthday yesterday] to thank me and I don't think she really realizes how much her (and Mom's) support meant to me.

On that note, I attended a very nice by-invitation Veterans' Day program at my son's school this morning [it was a school day]. Lasted about a half hour and consisted of the new music teacher's recently formed 4th/5th grade chorus. Consisted of presentation of the colors by some scouts followed by a musical version of the Pledge of Allegiance and the Anthem sung by two students [which BTW was much better than 99% of the so-called singers who do it at professional sporting events]. They did three other numbers, one of which was Lee Greenwood's "God Bless the U.S.A." That one always gets me pretty emotional, Vic. All very nicely performed.

Old 11-11-14, 04:48 PM
My daughter called me yesterday AND today [MC Birthday yesterday] to thank me and I don't think she really realizes how much her (and Mom's) support meant to me.
Nothing wrong with two way streets.