vanishing receipts

Old 11-12-14, 08:30 AM
vanishing receipts

I recently had to exchange a product I bought at the orange box and headed for my catch-all box of receipts to find the one for that item. I found it, however my search through that box was disturbing. So many receipts were impossible to read and a couple were completely blank, not just the orange box. I'm certain the technology has progressed to where they can print something on a paper receipt and have it last longer than the products listed, so why don't they?

My guess is it is a left over from the old 3M ink-less printing and they love the low maintenance. However, any store that requires a receipt should be required to print it in such a way that it will be legible when needed. Along that same line, the receipt need to clearly identify the product. Many receipts I came across, even though I could read them, I had no idea what I bought.

To their credit, the orange box can accept any product without a receipt if it was purchased on a credit card, mine was. And later I had two products and returned them no hassle because I had used the cc.

I did get a recent email from them saying my email address had been stolen during a computer breach, but my cc and other data was safe. LOL

Bud

Sponsored Links
Old 11-12-14, 08:59 AM
Most cash register receipt paper uses thermo (heat and pressure sensitive) paper. But as you found out most stores will take back a product if it's something they sold. Keep those receipts in a cool dry place. The paper should last at least a year if properly stored.

If you save most receipts like I do then make a digital copy. Paying by credit is also a good idea.

Old 11-12-14, 09:08 AM
Super Moderator
They are mostly thermal printers and they just fade, even when kept out of the sun and heat. If it happens often you might select the "Email me a receipt" if available at checkout. They also can look up any transactions if they were done on any sort of card.

It DOES suck when they only refund the lowest sale price in the last 2 yrs...though normally not that much different than regular.

Old 11-12-14, 09:11 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
If you save most receipts like I do then make a digital copy
That's what I do on big ticket warranted items ..... unless I forget Even in a drawer protected from sunlight receipts tend to fade and some turn back to a blank slip of paper

Old 11-12-14, 09:36 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I did get a recent email from them saying my email address had been stolen during a computer breach, but my cc and other data was safe. LOL
My bank reissued my debit card because of this breach. They did say though that it "may have been compromised".
I'm not sure if it's true for all banks, but every card I have, whether credit or debit/ATM, has zero liability for any fraudulent charges. Something to check on.

RE: The subject, thermal receipts. No good.

Old 11-12-14, 09:40 AM
I got this same e-mail this morning. They claim no passwords or other info was revealed except e-mail address.

Old 11-12-14, 10:31 AM
How about the IRS that requires receipts for much longer, 7 years I think. When I traveled a lot I had to keep meals, gas, and other receipts. I don't think they would take someone's word that this blank piece of paper was lunch for the crew.

I've only started using the cc at gas stations so not sure how long those slips will last.

It's probably a case that the IRS isn't worried about receipts disappearing as they have already captured that information.

Bud

Old 11-12-14, 11:09 AM
Group Moderator
Lumber yard I dealt with daily used a pin printer and what you got was a carbon copy of your invoice. My filing box was the dashboard of the truck. First time I had to file with the IRS I found what a very bad idea that had been.

Old 11-12-14, 11:14 AM
If your business depends on receipts and keeping records of them then digital storing is the only way be it scanning or phone picture. There are also hand held scanners.

Old 11-12-14, 12:47 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Back when I was working I didn't have a computer [or know how to use one ] but what I did was log all my expenses [other than accounts receivable] in a notebook and then stuff all the receipts in a box or envelope. I was never asked to produce the receipts although once the IRS asked for an itemized list.

Old 11-12-14, 01:03 PM
Super Moderator
It's getting a little off topic...but the IRS doesn't normally require receipts unless something is way way out there.

Old 11-12-14, 02:00 PM
Group Moderator
No not the IRS but when you total up your expenses for the quarter you need to be able to read your receipts for materials not directly billed to the customer.

Old 11-12-14, 02:18 PM
Even without a business, saving the receipts provides a history of cost and source of any project one might start. Also in case of an insurance claim, purchase receipts make for proof of value of an item or project in the event of damage or loss. Again a digital copy will outlast a paper copy. I scan every owner's manual and include the cash receipt within that manual scanned copy.

Old 11-12-14, 03:17 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Has anyone used one of those receipt and card scanners, as advertised on TV? I can scan my receipts on a regular scanner, but then I have to categorize them. Just curious