Where's Furd?

Old 01-01-15, 09:54 PM
They warn me it will and darn if I don't look down to see if I actually did. Funny stuff.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-01-15, 10:18 PM
Nope. In my case it started out as a heavy feeling in the center of my chest that slowly spread across my shoulders. Then a feeling of warmth up my neck and across my face. Held there for about a minute and then started to subside. The total infusion time was four minutes as I recall and the feelings started to subside a few seconds after the infusion stopped. Honestly, like a colonoscopy the anticipation is the worst part of the procedure.

Old 01-02-15, 03:39 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
like a colonoscopy the anticipation is the worst part of the procedure.
I don't know about that! The colonoscopy itself is a piece of cake but drinking that nasty stuff and what it does prior to the procedure .....

Old 01-02-15, 03:57 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Prior to my first knee replacement, I had to go for a stress test, but since the knee prevented me from doing the tread mill thingy, they did it chemically. I was laying on the table with a hose hooked to my arm and the nurse asked if I was ready. Yep. BAM, my chest tightened up and I know I lifted off the table. I asked her what that was. She said I brought you as close to a heart attack as I could. I told her not to do that again. Gee! Then I went for the ironing board/cat scan thing. I don't remember any isotopes, though.

Marksr, I'm 66 and have not had my colonoscopy, yet. I guess I am due. Not looking forward to that, at all.

Old 01-02-15, 04:07 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Larry, I've had 2 colonoscopys. Due for another one in a year or so. My doctor made me mad as he told me prior to the last one that I wouldn't need another one for 10 yrs but after the procedure he said the next one would be in 5 yrs. They found a couple of pre cancerous polyps

Colon cancer is one of those silent diseases but is easily cured if caught early enough. Not a fun test but it is something you should discuss with your doctor the next time you go!

When I had my stress test they gave me the option of having it chemically done but when they told me of the potential side effects, I figured I could tough it out and run the treadmill - which almost did me in

Old 01-02-15, 05:23 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Colonoscopys are the easy part, Drinking that junk before is the hard part. I have had at least 3 I can remember, (try to forget them) So far i'm good. Hurry up and get better.

Old 01-02-15, 06:32 AM
Super Moderator
Apparently there is a new way to prepare for a colonoscopy that doesn't require drinking a whole gallon of the stuff and fasting for 24 hrs. I read something about it a while back? Still not pleasant but more of a rapid cleanse thing.

Old 01-02-15, 09:19 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I don't think I had to fast more than 12 hrs for my last colonoscopy but I did have dietary restrictions for the 3 days [?] prior to the procedure. Still had to drink a gallon of that nasty stuff although I don't think it was as bad as my 1st one back in 2000.

If we keep talking about all these ailments and tests, folks are going to think we're a bunch of old men

Old 01-02-15, 07:07 PM
If we keep talking about all these ailments and tests, folks are going to think we're a bunch of old men.
We ARE a bunch of old men, although at 64 I may be among the youngest of the bunch.

I should get another colonoscopy but I find them to be a pain in the butt. When I did mine I think I had to drink more than a gallon of that seawater. The nurse had told me to be near a toilet when I started but she didn't tell me it would be expelled with enough force to nearly lift me off the seat. I think these days it is just a small bottle or two, about a half-cup maybe, of the laxative.

BUT, ignoring that night before, my mind was racing while I lay waiting for my time. The doctor doing it had a really hot "office" nurse but once in the day surgery clinic the nurse was a 67 year old woman that worked just a few days a month to supplement her Social Security. I know this to be true because she told me. Anyway, I swear that just before inserting the IV she pounded the sharp end on the steel table top as I have NEVER had an IV go in that hard and with so much pain. Since they were "backed up" in the OR (or whatever it was called) I had about a 45 minute wait lying on the bed just wondering what was going to happen. When it finally was done it was really anticlimactic. After arriving back home my farts were so powerful (force, not smell) as to almost lift me off the bed.

Okay, 'bout time to close this thread.

Old 01-03-15, 05:29 AM
What a way to end this thread. ROTFLMAO

Old 02-20-15, 06:00 PM
The rest of the story

This really will be the end of this thread.

Thursday morning I went into the hospital to finally get the kidney stone removed as well as some "re-contouring" on my prostate to allow the urologist to get the fiber optic laser up to the stone. The walk from the parking garage to the surgery admitting desk must have been at least a quarter of a mile and I was about done in when I arrived. I even had to stop before reaching the desk to take a rest.

In pre-op the first nurse tried to get the IV in the back of my hand but after some ten minutes of fiddling I told him to get someone that knew how. The woman nurse did it in a minute. Then the anesthesiologist came in and he told me he was required to warn me that I could die from the process. Then off to the OR.

I honestly don't remember anything in the OR but this time I awakened in the recovery room quite easily. Normally it feels like my bladder is going to explode and I fight to get to a bathroom. Amazingly, I did NOT have a catheter this time and then the urologist came over to say it was a very easy procedure, he didn't have to do anything to my prostate, the stent came right out, the stone was pulverized with the laser and he didn't need to place a new stent or a catheter. He said that as long as I had someone to spend the night with me I could go home before noon.

Well, I didn't have anyone to spend the night so they found me a room in the hospital. Lucky me, it was back on the oncology ward where I had stayed previously and I got to see nurse Jordan again. She remembered me and so did some of the other nurses on the different shifts as well. Kind of like homecoming.

But I'm back home now and not planning on any more hospital visits for a good long time.

Old 02-20-15, 06:12 PM
Group Moderator
Great news! Thanks for letting us know.

Old 02-21-15, 04:42 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Glad to hear you are doing better!

Also glad the stent came out with any problems. When I had kidney stones removed they left the stent in for several days and then had difficulty removing it

Old 02-21-15, 06:17 AM
Great news! Now that you're home you'll be doing lots more posting.

Old 02-21-15, 07:48 PM
Norm, I went in the hospital Thursday morning and got out about noon on Friday. I probably won't be posting any more now than I have in the last few months as my degenerative nerve illness is making it harder and harder to type, especially for any length of time.

Mark, I was definitely getting concerned about the stent. The doctor had told me back in December that after about three weeks they begin to develop "barnacles" and I was afeard that getting it out after three months might be a problem. Yeah, I wrote afeared.

Now if only my back would ease up. First of the week it was on my right side but now it is on the left. Makes it difficult to move around or getting anything accomplished.

Old 02-22-15, 03:58 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
You might try wearing a back brace. I don't wear mine as much as I used to and while it's not all that comfortable in some ways, it does reduce the pain and I feel like I can do more when I'm wearing it. The biggest downside [and probably why it works] is it reduces my mobility.

Old 02-22-15, 07:40 PM
Glad you're feeling better, Furd! See you around the Forums!

Old 02-24-15, 12:32 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Glad to hear you are doing better Furd.

If the other problem gets worse you can switch to Dragon Naturally Speaking and let your voice do the typing.

BTW, you are not the youngest here. You have me by 9 years.

Old 02-24-15, 02:43 PM
Oh, how I wish I was doing better. My back is so bad I can barely walk and this early afternoon I started in with a bout of diarrhea. That's enough on that subject. I also had low blood saturation levels just lying in the bed, down into the 70% range so I have gone back on the oxygen.

Old 02-24-15, 02:48 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
You might consider getting fitted for a good back brace, one that has plastic plates in the front and back. In some ways it's a little uncomfortable but it does help a good bit, at least it does for me - herniated discs, deteriorated discs, arthritis and pinched sciatic nerve.

Hope you get to feeling better soon!!

Old 02-24-15, 03:40 PM
I wore a modified Knight brace (do a Google) for a few years while in my twenties and then a generic corset-type brace for a few more years when in my thirties. I haven't needed one since and doctors are quick to point out that if you wear a brace then you absolutely need to do the back exercises because with the brace supporting you the muscles will atrophy without the exercises.

I have had some bouts of back problems since giving up the braces but they generally respond well to rest for a few days. This time seems to be different.

Old 02-25-15, 03:38 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
They used to fuss at me all the time about doing exercises but haven't in a long time [maybe they gave up] although I do try to stay more active than the doctors think I should be. If I resigned myself to being a couch potato I'd probably gain 100 lbs plus I like being outside or in my shop - even on the days I don't do much more than look at what needs to be done

Old 02-25-15, 02:13 PM
I haven't done my exercises in years. Probably has a fair amount to do with my present problems. I do like to be somewhat active and I know well the feeling of just looking at all the projects I have going and then wondering where to start.

As for gaining weight...yeah, I suspect that is also a huge part of the problem. I've gained a horrible amount of weight since I retired almost ten years ago. :NO NO NO: