It Seemed Simple

Old 12-01-14, 08:50 AM
Group Moderator
It Seemed Simple

Seemed like a good idea and simple, buy gift cards from Amazon to give out. It seemed to work out fine. Received the email with tracking info acknowledging my order. I received the gift cards and they were what I ordered. Should have been the end of it but...

This morning I receive an e-mail that my order had just shipped and giving tracking info. Check the tracking and indeed this is a new order and it is on the way? Crap I think their going to double bill me and I can't afford that. So I check the order details and no charge. What the heck?

Call India and the CSR is just as confused as me initially. Then he says that is a replacement for the cards that I never received. I told him again I did receive them. I said does that mean those cards have been canceled and are no longer valid? He says they are still valid but I find that hard to believe. Anyway I will refuse the new shipment of cards as he suggested but...

Are the cards I have still really valid. Will the people I give them to end up having the cards refused. Geeze I don't need this stress.

I do plan to send emails to Amazon to establish a "paper" trial but still... sh**.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-01-14, 10:29 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Life is like women, every time you think you have it figured out you get sent a curve ball
Hopefully it will be resolved and you can double check the cards before it's time to hand them out.

Old 12-01-14, 01:46 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Is there anyway to check on Amazon for the value of the cards using the numbers on the back? If they have value, they should be good to go.

Old 12-01-14, 03:39 PM
Group Moderator
Good idea Larry. I keep thinking this has to be some sort of an attempted scam where someone other then me reported non delivery but then why did they even accept the report since it would still have been within the expected delivery time.

Old 12-02-14, 03:03 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I wonder if someone else's order had a problem and when they went to re process it a finger slipped or a number got mis read when they typed in the account number ??

Old 12-02-14, 07:35 AM
Group Moderator
Yes, that could be it but I figured this was all just computers talking to computers and they don't type wrong. I would think a human would have noticed it was the wrong items but maybe not.

Still waiting for replies to my two emails to Amazon. I still find it hard to believe they don't cancel gift cards reported missing. This time they sent UPS and I have the replacement on hold for pickup at UPS. Didn't want to refuse to I was sure the ones I have are good. Guess I will just go ahead and bite the bullet and refuse if I don't hear from Amazon.

Personal note: I felt a little bit guilty buying something as impersonal as gift cards to give but just wasn't sure what to give. Now I feel like karma is biting me in the butt for it.

Old 12-02-14, 08:17 AM
Super Moderator
We do it all the time, gift cards I mean, for people we don't have much contact with. Hey, $25 at Target, let them choose what they want.

I think you can check gift card balances online at Amazon, can't you?

Old 12-02-14, 09:18 AM
As for being impersonal, I'd rather give or get a gift card than a cow. That is a standing joke in our house as the mil gave us a 3' tall wooden cow one year. We had to keep it for many years to pull it out every time she visited, then back into the attic. Eventually she passed and so did the cow.

But seriously, let them get what they want, it saves a whole lot of hassle.

Bud

Old 12-02-14, 09:26 AM
Group Moderator
I think you can check gift card balances online at Amazon
Only if they are gift cards redeemed by you. However a second call to a phone CSR since Amazon refused to discuss it by Email for security reasons gives me the information that the cards can not be canceled. Interesting... good thing for them I'm honest.

Time to put on my long johns and brave the 50 cold to go to UPS and refuse the second order.

(Yes I could have had it delivered but I never make it to the door before the UPS driver leaves... if I even hear him.)

Old 12-02-14, 10:52 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
gift cards

I'd rather get a gift card [or money ] than something that someone else thinks I might want but I have no use for A gift card to my favorite tool store or big box will make me smile all day We usually give the kids each a small gift along with some cash - no one's complained yet

Old 12-02-14, 12:13 PM
Group Moderator
So final notes and maybe a bit of irony. I go to UPS, hand the counter lady the number and say, "I want to refuse devilry on that".

She brings it from the back and has me sign her pad. I start to walk out and she says, "Wait you forgot your package".

Apparently she wasn't listening when I said I wanted to refuse. So now the supervise had to come over and process it as a returned item. Nothing simple, nothing easy.

Did get an explanation from Amazon on the second shipment today. They say they have their own internal tracking and if it says it wasn't delivered it is automatically resent. Note first shipment was USPS not UPS so I guess we can blame it on the post office.

Old 12-02-14, 12:50 PM
Amazon.com Tips keep for future reference

Ray I am sorry to say this but you gave me a good laugh. I know it isn't a kind thing to do but I just couldn't help it.
Here are some tips about Amazon.com gift certificates from someone who has used them for years as I get them as gifts from survey places.
1. Amazon.com gift certificates never ever expire and are good until used (that you have already learned but for others out there this is for their information.)

2. Amazon.com gift cards or certificates as the name is used interchangeably are available every where. If you have a 7-11 nearby or a WaWa take a look there. Look in Target stores or Walmart they probably have them. Take a look in CVS or Walgreens pharmacy stores they probably have them in about any value you want.

3. Since Amazon.com is an online only store you can buy the certificates as e-certificates and have them e-mailed to your recipients instead of having to go to the store and they usually never get lost that way.(just be sure to have everyone on your list clear their e-mail so it doesn't go to a full box)

I hope the tips help you Ray and as a last tip your recipient can always look up the value of their gift certificate at any time in their account. Once banked in their account only the recipient has access to that gift certificate and can use it at any time even months from now if that is what they want to do.

Old 12-02-14, 01:27 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Once banked in their account only the recipient has access to that gift certificate and can use it at any time even months from now
I also get amazon certificates from time to time but generally don't spend them until Christmas. I have bought something from them and left a $2-3 credit on my account and the money is still there a year later

Old 12-02-14, 10:36 PM
I also get amazon certificates from time to time but generally don't spend them until Christmas. I have bought something from them and left a $2-3 credit on my account and the money is still there a year later
I know isn't Amazon.com great that way not every store does that. By banking my gift certificates I have been able to practically get everything free for my last desktop build. With survey places I have been able to bank them quick. I still belong to a group that discusses vitamins and I have received $5.00 gift certificates every month for about 4 years. That group though sadly is going away by the end of December its too bad as it was fun and sponsored by a vitamin company I respect. Nothing though as they say lasts forever

I have a funny story by the way about an order Amazon.com messed up but luckily I was able to fix myself. My nephew in October had another boy by his wife and I ordered a little sleeping jumper suit. I thought great it will arrive at their door and they will like it as I knew I had put down the right delivery address. Well I had it right but Amazon.com had it wrong it was going to our house and not my nephews. When I saw though that they had sent it via UPS though I was relieved because for just a few dollars more I had them divert the package to my nephews house.