Walgreens Is Profiteering

Old 12-01-14, 12:10 PM
Walgreens Is Profiteering

People that have a "Walgreens" store near them might use them for convenience. But convenience comes at a steep price. I just paid $11.99 for a box of "Johnson & Johnson Mirasorb Gauze Sponges". Super markets such as "Shoprite and Giant" sell it for about $6.75 and "Walmart" sells it for $5.97.
Which now begs the question?
Can franchise stores sell their wares at what ever price they choose?
I intend to contact 'Walgreens" corporate office to file a complaint.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-01-14, 12:17 PM
Super Moderator
Can franchise storess sell their wares at what ever price they choose?
Pretty much, to a point. It's the price of Capitalism. This is why it pays for consumers to do their homework before buying. I have returned things (if not used yet) when I see someone else sells it much cheaper.

Old 12-01-14, 12:20 PM
Group Moderator
On the flip side WalMart in my town generally has higher prices on the last items I checked. I'm in a small town so there is little competition and many of the lower income people can't make it to the next town where there is competition so even a store that claims to be low priced can charge whatever they want.

Old 12-01-14, 12:31 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Complain away. At least it will make you feel better. Convenience comes at a price. Our Walgreen is open 24 -7. They have to pay the help, light bill, etc. whether you are there or not.

Old 12-01-14, 12:37 PM
I just contacted their corporate office and am awaiting their reply. I asked the question: "How am I supposed to return to this store at such high prices". There is also a lot of competition from similar stores in my area which have Pharmacys in addition to the super markets.

Old 12-01-14, 12:42 PM
Group Moderator
I know full well Walgreens is more expensive than the Target next door to it but they're open 24/7 and have some items the Target does not. 95% of the time Walgreens does not get my business but I do spend a few dollars there every year.

Old 12-01-14, 12:53 PM
I have two Kroger-owned stores within a few miles of my home. One is a grocery store and the other is a department store with a large food section. At the grocery store I can see Kroger-branded food selling for a certain price and then drive up the road a mile or so and see the exact same item in the grocery section of the department store selling for as much as 30% less. Since both stores have the same parent and both stores are supplied from the same warehouse, and both stores have unionized workforces, why are the prices so different?

I buy a certain brand of popcorn from Wal*Mart. The same brand, but in a smaller bottle, is about the same price at other stores which translates into about a 25% higher unit cost. Conversely, I can buy Skippy Super Chunk peanut butter cheaper almost anywhere but Wal*Mart. WM has the best price on Campbell's tomato juice, bread from a regional bakery and Totino's pizza but other items are far more expensive. It is a sad fact that comparison shopping IS necessary to avoid being taken to the cleaners. Even Winco has some items that are less expensive than other stores while at the same time have some items that are WAY more expensive than even the upscale stores in my area.

Old 12-01-14, 01:25 PM
Super Moderator
Well I have to say...Walgreens apparently thinks they are the top of the food chain. They don't even accept my retired military insurance, as I stated in another thread. They often have certain items for cheap, but those are just to drive traffic.

CVS and a Kroger brand store nearby are much much more helpful....as far as meds go anyway.

I still shop my local Safeway for quality stuff (meat, veg, etc) and discounts, but for most items (canned goods, box food, etc), WM is the cheapest.

Old 12-01-14, 02:32 PM
I second that Vic. I did a price comparison between the Shoprite and Walmart stores, on all the products I normally buy and Walmart wins. I been on pension for 15 years and just started shopping there. If I had gotten a cost of living allowance in those years, I would still be shopping at the nearest super market which is Shoprite.

Old 12-01-14, 03:17 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
They don't even accept my retired military insurance, as I stated in another thread
I think it's a matter of our military insurance not allowing them to accept it. If Walgreens could set up an account and be a provider under Tri-Care, I'm pretty sure they would jump on that.

Old 12-01-14, 03:44 PM
Temporarily Suspended
Boycotts are more powerful than voting. If you don't like Walgreens or any other store for that matter, start a boycott.

Old 12-01-14, 04:23 PM
I've been to a Walgreen's exactly twice and that was twice too many times. The first was ten years ago when I was discharged from the hospital and I was to pick up some prescriptions. The hospital was supposed to have called them (I don't know if they did or not) and when we (my ride) got to the drive-up window they wanted to see both the prescription slips and my pharmacy ID card. At that time both my medical insurance and pharmacy insurance were detailed on one ID card yet the person at the window insisted that the pharmacy card was separate. And no, they did NOT have the prescriptions ready. After fighting over the ID card issue for several minutes I demanded they give me back the card and the prescription slips and we went elsewhere to have them filled, with absolutely no hassle I might add.

The second time I went was to buy some CFL light bulbs that were on sale. They didn't have any whatsoever. These days I won't even waste my time looking at Walgreen's advertising.

Old 12-01-14, 04:52 PM
Super Moderator
If Walgreens could set up an account and be a provider under Tri-Care, I'm pretty sure they would jump on that.
According to the people at the stores...it's a contract dispute of some sort? Was supposed to have been worked out over a year ago. Dunno what the issue is...CVS and other local places have no problem.

I'm pretty much done with them unless it's just cough drops...

Old 12-02-14, 01:16 AM
I am done with them completely also. I intend to return the item for a full refund and will go to Shoprite which is less then 2 miles away. Another thing: Let's compare coffee to coffee. "Shoprite" sells a 12 oz. cup of coffee for $1.00 and "Wawa" sells it for $1.36 and "Wawa" is open 24/7 and that is not near double the price and they are a convenience store.

Old 12-02-14, 03:36 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
When I first started having to take meds daily, I went to one of the chain drug stores because they would still be open when I got off of work .... but they were always slow. The last time I went there I had called in my refills the day before and still had to wait 45 minutes While waiting, I remembered the only reason I did business there [the extended hours] and decided to switch to an independent pharmacy down the road since I no longer worked and needed the late hours. A month ago, there was a power outage and the independent pharmacy couldn't process my insurance info or credit card but gave me my meds anyway and said, "when you have time, come back and we'll finish the transaction" You know that wouldn't have happened at the chain store!

In defense of Walgreens, my wife watches the ads and every so often she will go there and stock up on coffee. She says their sale price is about half of what the grocery store charges.

Old 12-03-14, 11:05 PM
I quit years ago with Rite Aid they were my pharmacy for a long time after our local independent pharmacy went out of business. We had a storm though and it took the power out just like with you Marksr but in my case the pharmacist wasn't there to give me my medicine like he had promised. So we gave up on them and went back to using a new independent pharmacy that opened up in our neighborhood. We sometimes have problems with them but for the most part they have been very reliable. As to cost I don't know but just knowing they are there gives us peace of mind.