What is your current Year End Project? Share Pics..

Old 12-13-14, 11:18 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
What is your current Year End Project? Share Pics..

As we scramble to the end of the year, was curious what everyone else was up to as far as "work in progress". Would love to see others projects (professional or DIY). Of course we love success stories, and we help an awful lot of folks plow through challenges toward hopefully a successful end result.

I am currently performing a bathroom remodel for some wonderful clients trying to make a very tight bathroom "feel" bigger. How did I do that? I got rid of the curb, got rid of the conventional drain, installed a linear drain. and opened up the bathroom to full capacity. It no longer is blocked by cumbersome shower doors halfway through the room. Instead, wide open... Handheld shower arm will be on the service wall and a rain head will come out the ceiling. I am at the grouting stage and hope to conclude and to give these folks back their bath by Christmas.

Enjoy and share you progress please.

Name:  Rogers photo 2.jpg
Views: 254
Size:  45.7 KB
Name:  Rogers photo 3.jpg
Views: 217
Size:  38.4 KB

Here is a fisheye wide angle view showing the tight space.

Name:  Rpgers photo 1.jpg
Views: 225
Size:  30.5 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 12-13-14, 11:21 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
OOPS!

Almost forgot - Here is a photo so Larry can follow along....

Name:  Rogers photo 4.jpg
Views: 212
Size:  45.7 KB

Inside joke folks......

Old 12-13-14, 12:25 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Hey! MUCH better!! I think I found out the problem. I was taking the pictures with my Ipad. There must be an upside down way of holding it. Hey, it flips whenever I flip the Ipad, so I figured it would correct itself. I'll try later.

Z, how are they dealing with splash out and the greenboard?

Old 12-13-14, 12:56 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Z, how are they dealing with splash out and the greenboard?
There will be a curtain that runs the width of the bathroom and tucks behind the little return wall. The curtain will also park itself behind the return wall when not in use.

The floor is straight sloped from the back wall to the drain (3/4" down to zero). And for the room side, the 1/4" hardi on the floor runs up to 1/2" shy of the return wall and then goes to zero at the drain. The cut tile on the room side of the drain is sloped therefore 1/4" to zero in the 5" to the drain. And, as a bonus happy accident, the whole room has a natural gradual slope back toward the shower. And, I basically made the whole room one large shower pan as you can see in the attached. The only holes in the pan are the drain, the toilet and a floor vent in the room. I plan on caulking the toilet to seal that and am pretty confident that everything is water tight. I also draped the vapor barrier down over the pan and further layered the bench. Hope that makes sense.

Name:  Rogers photo 5.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  31.8 KB

Old 12-13-14, 02:26 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Before I retired I used to dread this time of year Seems like everyone wants their house painted before thanksgiving and those that didn't make it - by Christmas. And then all the builders wanted to close the books on the houses they had going. A lot of 60-70 hr weeks the last 3 months of every year.

Lot less stress nowadays although I still haven't done much Christmas shopping

Old 12-14-14, 05:59 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Apparently, nobody is working, has a project to share or is currently in the country legally?

Over 13,000 active members and nobody has any projects or comments to share?

Marksr, you are correct, everyone has shut down for the holidays. I gotta go get a beer....

Old 12-14-14, 06:19 PM
My garage was the last "project", and will probably be it until after Christmas holidays. No one wants you in their house making dust over the holidays.

Old 12-14-14, 06:40 PM
Fixing this darn washer! Hopefully I can find out whats wrong with it.

Old 12-14-14, 08:37 PM
Super Moderator
Get my eyes fixed somehow? I haven't hardly left the house in 2 days. Sorry for my language....but this SUCKS.

Old 12-14-14, 10:11 PM
My last big project was my bathroom upstairs last year and into some of this year so I don't really have any big projects. I have one cabinet that needs assembling that goes on a wall and one pantry cabinet I just assembled about a month ago but I will not be showing that as that room is just too messy. It is our guest room and where we stored a majority of the stuff for the bathroom project and for other things so as they say it is not yet ready for prime time. I like your bathroom though Czizzi and I think you did a fantastic job. If I can I will post pictures of my bathroom after Christmas.

Old 12-15-14, 02:25 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Just finished complete kitchen remodel and new flooring (kitchen and living room)
Was going to put picture in but my hotspot connection to slow. Traveling now, careful Gunguy will be in your area after Xmas, looking at new pastures.

Old 12-15-14, 04:00 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Get my eyes fixed somehow?
Vic, I understand your frustration - it's just going to take time at least you can see or look forward to the light at the end of the tunnel, the only other option is to adapt

Old 12-16-14, 01:27 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Lets Play a Game - What's Wrong With This Picture

Well, seems like everyone is a little shy about posting pictures of their current projects - That is OK, understand as pros we sometimes set the bar a little high.

So, I take you back to the beginning of my project and show you pictures from day one of demolition. I also propose a test to see how well the members have been paying attention this year if you have been following the tile forum.

Attached are pictures of day one demolition - There are at least 8 things that are wrong with the original shower shown in the picture - Can you guess all 8? Some are obvious, some require a little more scrutiny - Good Luck!!!

I'd ask that Larry, Joe, and Jazz not comment immediately to give others a chance to chime in. You guys can offer hints to help others with the game.

Name:  Rogers 1a.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  35.6 KB
Name:  Rogers photo 2a.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  44.5 KB
Name:  Rogers photo 3a.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  43.7 KB
Name:  Rogers photo 4a.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  39.5 KB

Old 12-16-14, 03:14 PM
Super Moderator
careful Gunguy will be in your area after Xmas
If you get near me, let me know. And if you want info about any areas, I can give it or get it for you. DON'T trust the realtors.

How a bout a new custom built with pool, spa and waterslide in the back?

Old 12-16-14, 04:54 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I'm just doing a few tile tear outs in the next week or so. I do this quite a bit over the year, but it actually seems busy right now. I guess many people want a new counter over the holidays.

I do tear out, have the counter go in, and then return for plumbing and appliances/any cabinet modifications. Works out good for me. It also fills time between the big kitchen remodels. Here's an example of one I liked.

Name:  100_1208.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  33.0 KB

Old 12-16-14, 04:57 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Awesome Brian, thanks for sharing.

Old 12-17-14, 07:03 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
It's like pushing a wet noodle, this thread does not want to pick up any steam.

Larry, Joe and Jazz (if currently in the country), want to take a gander at what was wrong with the pan that I tore out from my current assignement? Pictures are a couple of posts back. Might as well turn this into a learning experience for those browsing... 8 things wrong with the old pan install. Anyone Nothing but crickets.

Old 12-17-14, 08:39 PM
Group Moderator
LOL, sorry Z. I want to post some pics of mom and dad's kitchen project (and floor!) but haven't got around to it yet. I have 3 days to work on it before I go on vacation... Thurs/Fri/Mon... and this morning I got a call at 9:30 AM from a guy needing me to come help him start a 90 window project on the 3rd floor of a former elementary school building. Can I be there in an hour? uh, yeah sure. Thanks for the advance notice... jerk! So now I think I need to spread myself thin and work at mom's in the morning and the school in the afternoon.

The floor is currently protected with cardboard so there's nothing to see yet. Here's one shot of how the stair nosing turned out.

Name:  CAM00576.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  26.6 KB

Old 12-17-14, 09:00 PM
Group Moderator
Oh, I was gonna take a few guesses at the shower pan pictures.

-membrane improperly tucked under the drain?
-membrane improperly lapped/sealed at corners?
-membrane improperly lapped/sealed at ends of curb?
-membrane not high enough on walls?
-drywall under wall tile?
-are those NAILS in the curb membrane?
-did they nail the drywall through the membrane?
-uhhhhhh..... I'm not up to eight... sorry, haven't followed the tile forum close enough!
-did they pour a mortar bed inside the membrane maybe? I'm just guessing now!

Did I get any of them right?

Old 12-17-14, 09:14 PM
My year end project is to at least partially regain my health.

Old 12-17-14, 09:21 PM
Group Moderator
Not mine but somebody's really twisted project.

Name:  PM8ZUTd.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  34.5 KB
Source: http://imgur.com/a/UwdRz

Old 12-17-14, 09:23 PM
Super Moderator
You will Furd, you will. Bad time for any health issues (is there a good time?) and things will be busy after the 1st, but it'll happen.

Old 12-17-14, 09:44 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I'm going to cheat and say everything is wrong with that shower pan.
That should get me at least 8 points.

I recommend a decent sledge and take it from there.

Old 12-18-14, 03:42 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
First Results of 8 issues with Pan Installation

We have out first contestant! Funny, I didn't have to coax at all... (sarcasm off).

XSleeper Got 3 correct!

1-membrane improperly lapped/sealed at ends of curb?

2-drywall under wall tile?

3-are those NAILS in the curb membrane? (actually screws on the inside, and top of the curb!)

This picture further demonstrates the results of an incorrectly installed and maintained shower pan. This would be what I found under the curb. Yes, that is a hole you can stick your hand into. Rest of the floor was a little weak as well.

Name:  Rogers photo 5a.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  41.4 KB

Old 12-18-14, 04:01 AM
No backer for the liner between the studs.
No preslope prior to liner.

I"ll have to look further, later. Gotta get to work.

Old 12-18-14, 03:08 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
XSleeper Got 3 correct!

1-membrane improperly lapped/sealed at ends of curb?

2-drywall under wall tile?

3-are those NAILS in the curb membrane? (actually screws on the inside, and top of the curb!
Larry gets the next 2 correct -

4 - No backer for the liner between the studs. (No 2x10 Blocking to hold up the liner)

5 - No preslope prior to liner. (Shower was not used for 2 days prior to demo, the edges of the liner were still wet as you see in the pictures)

3 more anomalies to go - Cue the theme music from Jeopardy.....

Old 12-18-14, 07:22 PM
Group Moderator
Hey! "no preslope prior to liner" is what I was getting at when I thought maybe they put the slope on top of the liner. I should at least get a half point. LOL

Was there a poly vapor barrier or maybe faced insulation around the shower? :NO NO NO:

Old 12-18-14, 07:26 PM
Super Moderator
The major problem I see is that someone snuck in my house in VA 8 yrs ago and took pictures of my first (and probably only) attempt at building a shower.

Old 12-19-14, 02:59 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
XSleeper strikes again and gets credit for number 6

Was there a poly vapor barrier or maybe faced insulation around the shower?
6- No Vapor Barrier

The major problem I see is that someone snuck in my house in VA 8 yrs ago and took pictures of my first (and probably only) attempt at building a shower.
LOL - Sorry Vic, there were no Bullet Holes in the Pan Liner. House is in Newport News, not Hampton.

Old 12-19-14, 08:04 PM
Group Moderator
The corners of the tile look like they are caulked... are they? No caulk in corners would be a potential problem. And that is "real" ceramic tile, isn't it? Not the fake plastic stuff that was glued on with paneling adhesive... right? I mean they look like real grout lines in the pictures... but are they?

Old 12-20-14, 04:05 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
They are real ceramic tiles and were real grout lines between them. Not all grout was present, however, so there was drywall damage and mold (go figure) on the service wall. As well, you can see staining on the wall in the back right hand corner of the shower. Hmmmm. there is something else odd about that corner..... You can get a clue by referencing my waterproofing picture that I earlier attached.....(Que the theme song from final Jeapardy)

Old 12-20-14, 04:45 AM
No return lumber to attach the cbu in that corner, it appears.

Old 12-20-14, 05:19 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
No return lumber to attach the cbu in that corner, it appears.
Exactly - Larry gets the next one!

#7 - No Nailing Surface in back right hand corner

I was shocked - Remember, this shower was drywall with tile on it. That corner had floating drywall with a paper tape seam, nothing to hold it and a ton of caulk in that corner over the years. Any wonder why it leaked?

One more to go...

The last one is more of a personal pet peeve when building a shower with curb vs an industry standard, so I will probably just give you the answer eventually. In the mean time, your hint is "functional framing".

Good luck

Old 12-20-14, 05:25 AM
I've got to tie this up. Looks as if the berm dies into the wall with no visible means of support for the cbu in the corners. Flat framing member is convenient, but does it go all the way up the wall, or is it a scab?

Old 12-20-14, 05:42 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Think of something potentially very heavy, maybe it has a fulcrum... What could possibly help with that?

Old 12-21-14, 06:20 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
And, #8 is a complete lack of structural members with which to hang a shower door at the curb.

Here is a recap for all.

1- membrane improperly lapped/sealed at ends of curb?

2- drywall under wall tile?

3- are those NAILS in the curb membrane? (actually screws on the inside, and top of the curb!)

4 -No backer for the liner between the studs. (No 2x10 Blocking to hold up the liner)

5 -No preslope prior to liner. (Shower was not used for 2 days prior to demo, the edges of the liner were still wet as you see in the pictures)

6 - No Vapor Barrier

7 - No Nailing Surface in back right hand corner

8 - No Structural framing to hold shower door

Not sure I have ever seen such a lack of protocol used in the building of a shower before. But then again, I've still got a few years left in me. Thanks to everyone for playing - Brant and Larry especially.

Name:  Rogers photo 4aa.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  44.6 KB

Old 12-21-14, 06:52 AM
Group Moderator
I did not see this thread until today just because I have been so busy trying to get things done. Although most of our work is commercial, the same things is happening. Companies are trying to burn up funds before the year end. We have even had to bill some of the jobs early so they can pay for it in 2014.

Search this Thread