Life's little distractions

Old 12-16-14, 12:07 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Life's little distractions

had to take wifey to Dr in another town for check up. Got my Ipad out to check up on things. Lady 3 chairs from me has haptic input on audible so every key stroke beeps. I think she is writing a dissertation

Pulled out ear buds and put on Lynyrd Skynyrd. Can't stand that beeping!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-16-14, 12:30 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
-- and if you were to say anything, she would probably cuss you out.
My pet peeve is being in a store and having someone near by start talking loudly. At first I think they may be asking me a question but it usually is due to a blue tooth stuck in their ear and they think they must shout so the other party can hear them.

Old 12-16-14, 12:38 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Ah, the wonderful world of people totally oblivious to anyone else but themselves. One of the reasons I am a relatively private person. Not crazy about malls or anywhere the "oblivions" hang out.

Old 12-16-14, 01:35 PM
Group Moderator
How about the person in front of you in the check out line as they ignore the checker to talk on the phone.

Old 12-16-14, 05:03 PM
I used bluetooth quite a bit in the construction business. People calling all day, and I didn't want to lay down a tool to pick up a phone. I even answered the phone by voice command. I am guilty of making people look at me oddly, not realizing I am talking on the phone to someone. I have since just bought a new radio for my old burned up one in my truck with a bluetooth. Nice. I don't use the bluetooth too much on site any more since most of my calls come in the truck.

Old 12-17-14, 03:15 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
What gets me is how do employees do their job when they are constantly on the phone [not work related] There is a convenience store I stop at occasionally that is run by an immigrant. He is constantly on the phone in his ear. The only time I know for sure he isn't talking to me during the checkout process is when he's speaking in a foreign language.

30 yrs ago I had a boy on my crew that liked his walkman radio. I ran a large crew and was short on ladders. I got on the roof of an apartment building and told him to take the ladder and I'd holler at him when I got finished. When I got done, I could not get his attention he had that radio in his ear and couldn't hear me. I had never thought about it before but there isn't much to pick up and throw setting on a roof. I finally beaned him with my putty knife to get his attention.

Old 12-17-14, 03:38 AM
walkman radio
Sorry, Mark, some on the forum weren't born when Sony invented walkman radios My how we date ourselves. Obviously a safety hazard as well, no doubt.

I think phone usage and courtesy should go hand in hand, but they seem to have thrown courtesy out the window. I may be a grumpy old man, but I tell them outright, get off the phone and tend to business, whether it is on a jobsite or at a food mart. My wife says I should have been a drill sergeant.

Old 12-17-14, 04:05 AM
Super Moderator
Hey, worse than employees sometimes, what about customers? When you are working with one and others are waiting, and they take a call and hold a finger up at you?

If it was quick, I'd deal with it, but more often than not, after about 30 seconds, I'd say "When you're ready, you'll be next" and move to the person waiting. The look on the next persons face was always priceless.

Prob not company policy, but I wasn't being paid to listen to someone talk about their kids birthday party.

Old 12-17-14, 05:09 AM
Group Moderator
Skynyrd? Larry, you listen to a band with Florida roots?

[FWIW, the "day the music died" wasn't February 3, 1959, it was October 20, 1977]

Old 12-17-14, 05:30 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
John, some of us might argue that point with you

Old 12-17-14, 03:56 PM
John, most anything Southern Rock.....Allman Bros, even CSN&Y, but very little from Memphis.

Search this Thread