Are We Educating People To Be Dumb?

Old 12-18-14, 04:56 PM
Group Moderator
Are We Educating People To Be Dumb?

There is a safety PSA the electric company has been showing for a couple of years. The message is, "Stay away from downed power lines". Good message the problem is the accompanying video shows a broken guy-wire not a power line. Just makes you shake your head.

Flash forward to a couple of weeks ago on the local news. An almost tearful mother afraid for the safety of her children because there has been a downed power line for weeks in her yard and she can not get the electric company to fix it. The local reporter is out at the scene showing worry at this terrible situation. Camera pans over. It is a guy-wire. Surely the TV station technical crew must of had one person smart enough to know there was no electric safety issue.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-18-14, 05:08 PM
Temporarily Suspended
I can understand the PSA people using something that isn't dangerous for a demonstration. It makes the message understandable. As far as reporters go, I make it a point not to watch the news or read newspapers & I certainly wouldn't let a reporter interview me.

Old 12-18-14, 05:15 PM
Group Moderator
Of course the crew knew the difference but then there wouldn't be a "sensationally enhanced" news report.

I can sympathize with that lady though.... the utilities can be very slow in responding to calls like this. Technically it's a gray area. It's very rarely a power line but they get called and blamed first.

There was a small trunk line going across the major county road in my town. The line was right in the center of town. It was in danger of getting hit. I called the police and told them it was dangerously low. I told them it was a phone cable. Nothing was done for two weeks. I called and gave a second notice. About a week later a moving truck caught it. Quite some damage from a 25 pair phone cable.

Old 12-18-14, 11:49 PM
I run with the fire company. Whenever there is a downed line, the poco gets called first, even if it's only phone lines. The power company usually gets there within an hour, and the phone company can take hours.

Old 12-19-14, 12:33 AM
Referring only to the title the answer is a resounding YES! It absolutely sickens me the paucity of REAL education that is now the norm in our public schools.

Old 12-19-14, 03:35 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
the utilities can be very slow in responding to calls like this.
About 30 yrs ago when I lived in fla there was an car accident next to my house which severed the guy wire on the pole. I assumed the power company would fix it shortly, wrong! So I called and was told they'd take care of it, I called again the next week and the week after I wouldn't have been so concerned but the pole wobbled in the wind After a month of getting no real response from the local power office I sent a nasty letter to the main office threatening a lawsuit if my kids got hurt or my property damaged. A few days later the president of the power company called me at home [in the evening after work] to discuss it. He said they'd take care of it the next day. When I got home from work the next day, there was a new pole with 2 guy wires!

Back to the topic of dumb folks, I regularly run across some that amaze that they've made it this far thru life.

Old 12-19-14, 04:06 AM
Discussing "guy" wires...The historical museum where I used to volunteer has a pole at the end of a 26,000 volt distribution line. It was originally installed with a backstay (a guy wire tensioning against the pull of the electrical wires) but when the ground was dug up looking for pollutants and then building a swamp the anchor was removed from the ground and the wire with anchor left hanging from the pole. The museum director called numerous times asking that it be repaired/replaced but nothing ever happened other than setting a big block of concrete next to the pole on the side where the backstay had been. That was several years ago and I suspect it still hasn't been changed.

Old 12-19-14, 04:57 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
The one problem I see even with guy wires, is the wind can whip them into a hot primary causing problems. With that, they should be considered as any other downed power line.

We had an instance where a lady in our neighborhood went ballistic over a "downed" cable in her yard, fearing for her pets. Turned out to be RG cable that hadn't been buried yet by the cable company to her next door neighbor's house.

Old 12-19-14, 05:12 AM
Super Moderator
On the main topic...
I'm really concerned about how education has just gone downhill it seems. I grew up in farm country in OH in the 70's and our little school (less that 400 grades 9-12) seemed to have better people than what I've seen in both CA and AZ in the last 8 yrs. Both teachers and students.

Step-son graduated "with honors" in CA and his work was sloppy and often incomplete from what I saw. Smart kid, yes...educated....ehhh, not so much. No algebra, no trig, little chemistry, little biology. Penmanship of a 12 y/o. Cursive? Forget it. Oh, lots of English, some history, theater (thats a class?), "life skills" (don't you learn that by living?) and other foo-foo classes IMO. Asked if he was required to read some of the classics (Count of Monte Cristo, Moby Dick, 1984, Animal Farm, etc)...blank stare.

Even worse here in AZ now, 8 yrs later, it seems. The school budgets are huge...the majority of my property taxes are schools...but with a few exceptions, the kids are dumb as rocks. Sure, there's the great robotics team that went to nationals, the chess team that went to state, and our shooting team is very good (yes, we still have one of those), but very few others in a 1200 person HS.

In the words of Gump..."I am not a smart man.." but I can think rings around most of the the youngsters I've come in contact with.

Not to get political...but Common Core is at least some sort of step...whether its the right one or not I dunno. More science, more math, more history...less sports. Our teams regularly travel 200-300 miles to play in tournaments, usually missing Friday classes to do so. Where are my taxes being spent again?

Rant complete...

Old 12-19-14, 05:38 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Rant complete...
Not yet, hoss! Why is it our kids are being taught what I call "soft" stuff. Theater, arts, home making, life lessons? What will they do when they graduate? No mathematics in an applied form, no chemistry, no physics!! NO Physics? How does the world work? They will never know. I urge all the kids I can to learn all they can regardless of what the school "teaches" them. Then go to college if they want to. Pursue a degree in law or some other worthy vocation. If you choose not to go to college, then by gosh, go to a trade school and learn how to really do things.

Common Core? Have you ever been given a problem as those given to school students today and asked to solve it their way? I can solve most in a few seconds using what I learned in school. It would take me minutes, if not longer to solve it the Common Core way. It is stupid, and makes our kids stupid. No wonder they rebel against mathematics. They don't understand how to add and subtract without the help of the government.

OK, next???

Old 12-19-14, 06:10 AM
Super Moderator
Pursue a degree in law or some other worthy vocation.
Uhhh you consider law to be a worthy vocation? That's like saying a car salesman is trustworthy. Lol

Seriously, we have too many darn lawyers and not enough doctors and engineers.

Have you ever been given a problem as those given to school students today and asked to solve it their way?
I've looked at some and yes...I have to agree. The thing should be "What is the answer?" not, here is how you should find that answer. Just find the answer...that teaches thinking. And how exactly are parents supposed to help with homework (and every school wants parent involvement) when it's something they don't know? Go back to school?

Old 12-19-14, 07:13 AM
Group Moderator
My undergraduate degree is in math so I have no problem figuring out the answer when my daughter has a question about her math homework. That said, it is sometimes difficult to follow the method the teacher is having them use and one time there were literally instructions from the teacher to the parents not to show our children how to solve the problem using the way we were taught as children (been a while but I think it was that we were not supposed to show them how to borrow when subtracting).

My process has been to make sure my daughter can use the method being taught but then I also show her any other ways I might solve the problem in order to increase the number of tools in her bag.

I believe I am my daughter's primary teacher and those employed with that title at her school are secondary to me.

Old 12-19-14, 09:03 AM
Group Moderator
Anybody remember sets? I escaped it in high school by graduating before they started teaching it but had a college introductory math class that taught it. To this day I do not know what it is, how to do it or why I even need to know about it. In life I've used algebra, trig, and geometry but never in my life as far as I know have I needed sets. Wait, I'm poor. Would I be rich if I knew what sets were?

Old 12-19-14, 09:06 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I don't remember them but I do remember thinking in geometry class that I would never ever have any use for what they were teaching ..... until I started painting and estimating jobs.

Old 12-19-14, 09:51 AM
I'll add another nickel's worth later. I expect to be otherwise occupied most of the day.

Old 12-19-14, 10:01 AM
Group Moderator
If you had bought a few sets of Google stock you would be rich Ray.

Old 12-19-14, 10:22 AM
Group Moderator
Sets? Sure, used them all the time. I even know what isomorphic sets are