flawed thinking

Old 12-22-14, 03:22 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
flawed thinking

My grandson came over today to help me get a few things done. We unloaded the firewood off of my truck and went after a load of compost for my garden. All that left was knocking down the bradford pear that got damaged during the halloween snow storm. I thought since half of the tree was still tall, we'd cut the roots and take the tractor bucket to push it over. WRONG .. I should have know if wet snow could break the tree in half that it couldn't stand a push with the tractor.

So time for plan B dig out around the trunk and pull with the truck. Well the more we dug, the more roots we found. I bet we chopped a dozen roots as big as my arm and still can't budge the trunk so I guess my 1 day project has turned into an ongoing however long project

Sponsored Links
Old 12-22-14, 04:15 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Its the law if inverse returns....the easier you think the job will be, the more complex it will become. Just don't get overly aggressive, I've seen videos where they tried to force a stump out with the car, only to have it spring out of the ground and smash the rear window of the vehicle.

But back to point - you prove the worth of this forum for those who do not know what they are getting into.

Old 12-22-14, 05:18 PM
Are you digging with just the bucket or do you have a backhoe? Be sure sewer lines, water, and electrical are not close by. A relative had his tractor break through the top of his septic. The only thing that prevented it from going under was the rorotiller on the back. His little project suddenly became a big one.

Bud

Old 12-23-14, 03:49 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
My tractor just has a manure bucket, not much good for digging. I thought I could raise the bucket and push the tree over after cutting what I thought was all of the big roots. If I had a backhoe, the job [along with a bunch of others] would already be done! No danger of contact with electrical or water supply but I forgot about the septic line that passes about 10' to one side of the tree. Hopefully I'll be able to cut the roots enough where that won't be an issue.

you prove the worth of this forum for those who do not know what they are getting into
But I thought I knew what I was getting into

Old 12-23-14, 05:17 AM
Don't know about that particular tree, but many trees if not a transplant will have a tap root that will grow straight down. Even when cutting the many surface roots , you won't budge it. Many transplanted pine trees don't have a tap root and will fall in wind storms. But a tree with a tap root can withstand very high wind storms.

Old 12-23-14, 05:30 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I don't know what it will take but the stump won't win I erroneously thought it would be fairly easy but it appears it's going to take a lot longer with more effort than I was ready for

Old 12-23-14, 05:37 AM
Temporarily Suspended
It all goes to show us how much stronger nature is than we are. In eastern philosophy & martial arts there is a way for us to root ourselves.

Old 12-23-14, 05:39 AM
Group Moderator
You are going about it all wrong, Mark. Here's some help:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6PGKcVr-8s

Old 12-23-14, 05:43 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
John, that thought passed thru my mind but with my bedroom windows only 20' away .... that is too much home improvement for me

Old 12-23-14, 06:16 AM
Temporarily Suspended
marksr, you can do it. Show everyone that you are "stronger than dirt". Then you can change your screen name to Ajax.

Tow_guy, good video. I was thinking the same thing.

Old 12-23-14, 06:24 AM
You can always use the car to pull it out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5MZcxZdZdw

Old 12-23-14, 07:04 AM
Admin Emeritus

Hopefully I'll be able to cut the roots enough where that won't be an issue.
Rent or borrow a Stump Grinder as a possible solution???

All else fails......use some dynamite.........

Old 12-23-14, 08:02 AM
Check out the rental price on a small backhoe. The only risk is you'll end up owning one. Years ago I rented a terramite backhoe, small to the point of almost being worthless. But it did my job so much easier that owning one went high on my list. Since buying it 2 relatives have borrowed it and both now own their own.

If you have other jobs lined up maybe kill more birds with one rental.

How is the soil around that tree. In NJ I removed a few with large tap roots and used a hose to wash away the dirt as I went down. That let me get a chain saw in there and eventually nip off that root going straight down. But we had sandy soil so any water I poured in was quickly gone.

Bud

Old 12-23-14, 08:06 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I'm hoping to avoid the hassle and expense of renting a stump grinder. If the boy in that car didn't expect to damage his car - he's an idiot! although I was surprised at how much damage. I have tried pulling the stump with my 4x4 ford but I like my truck and don't intend to hurt it

I'm thinking maybe after the holidays I'll take my pressure washer with the red tip and see what I can expose along the base of the tree. Not sure what all I'll have to do to get the stump out but I will succeed!

Bud, the majority of my property is slate rock. My front yard was originally about 10' higher but the previous owner knocked the top of the knob off with a dozer. It took me 10-15 yrs to get grass to grow decent. I don't know why he wasn't able to put in a decent driveway but then some guys just don't have enough sense to use the equipment wisely.

Old 12-23-14, 08:10 AM
Temporarily Suspended
You'll need two other guys to help you load & unload a stump grinder. That's what I was told when I called a rental place. There is also a mini stump grinder but that won't be big enough.

Old 12-23-14, 08:58 AM
Group Moderator
I bet we chopped a dozen roots as big as my arm
Just a tip. I have had to dig in a lot of root filled ground and I am just to lazy to chop roots even small ones. I use a Sawzall with a 12" brush blade.