some christmas

Old 12-22-14, 11:44 PM
some christmas

Someone skimmed my debt card on Saturday. Noticed 4 charges I did not make in CA. 2 small purchases of 2.50 then one for 37 and one for 38 for Disney land hotel. I still have the card the last place I used it was at a burger king. Someone must have had a skimmer on the reader. While I was in CA in October I did not go to the places they used it at. I only stayed in the bay area. So had to get up early before work go to the bank and have them cancel the card and make a report which they faxed to there fraud dept. So now I have to wait on a letter to see what the decision is. Meanwhile I'm over drawn $37 cause of this. I only had $40 in the bank so they didn't steal a whole lot.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-22-14, 11:53 PM
Group Moderator
That sure is a holiday ruiner. Good they couldn't get too much money. People I know have gotten hit for a lot. I keep a limited amount in my account that the debit card is linked to and I have it set up that overdrafts will get denied.

Old 12-23-14, 12:00 AM
I am sorry to hear that flirty1 it is at a bad time of year too. I have heard of portable skimming devices and now just about everyone has one of those credit card devices for their cell phone making some of them thieves. You just have to watch your card constantly it seems or someone will steal your money. Some people say that paying by smart phone is safer especially if you never lose sight of it. If you go to a restaurant then sometimes the waiter takes your card or device as you don't pay in the front of the restaurant you pay the server. So either way is risky.

Last edited by hedgeclippers; 12-23-14 at 12:20 AM.
Old 12-23-14, 04:04 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Sometimes banks will waive the fees under special circumstances so it doesn't hurt to ask. I don't have a debit card but aren't they like credit cards where you don't foot the bill for fraudulent charges ??
Glad they didn't get much but that doesn't make it suck any less.

Old 12-23-14, 04:43 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Debit cards are treated differently than credit cards. With a credit card, the bank issuing it will stand behind fraud. With debit cards, not so much. I still don't understand how someone hacked your debit card without the pin number. I use my card as a credit card 90% of the time, but it is technically a debit card. I still have to enter my zip code or security number on the back of the card (which your perp doesn't have) before a transaction will go through. Really weird.

Old 12-23-14, 05:26 PM
It all depends on the bank Larry I have used my debit card from my bank and they never ask for my pin. They also never ask for my zip code either. Here though is a possible scenario where the store owner has your zip code and you check out at the cash register. Unknown to you Larry the store owner you have known for a long time now has gambling debts and crooks are in his store. A guy or gal in the background makes some kind of noise and you are startled for a minute and turn around. It is at that time that the store owner has his smart phone handy and he skims your card on his phone.

All it takes is one second and your card can be compromised. As for bank debit cards standing behind the card with the customer or not standing beside the customer during a fraud that too depends on the bank.

Old 12-24-14, 06:43 PM
This is why I don't use debit cards. With a credit card, you don't have to pay the charges in dispute. With a debit card it is opposite.

You don't need a pin number to use a debit card. I happen to have one for my side business and use it form time to time when the place doesn't take AMEX. Never needed to use my pin. You info was probably stolen from a database.

You also can report the fraud over the phone and ask for any overdraft fees back.

Old 12-25-14, 03:46 AM
Anyplace I use my debit card, which is almost exclusively grocery stores, I run the card through the scanner and input my security code. The card never leaves my fingers and it won't work without the code.

For everything else I use a credit card.

Old 12-27-14, 12:08 AM
Not all places require you to enter your PIN. Some fast food places have a keypad that they manually enter the amount. Some food stores also swipe the card themselves and if you choose credit when they ask then you don't need to use the PIN just sign. How many clerks check that the signature matches. Hotels swipe the card yourself. Im guessing that they cloned the card then gave the number to someone in CA cause 2 of the items were for 1.75 now that it cleared so that must have been a vending machine to "test" the cloned card. then 2 swipes at some Disney place each under $40 so maybe a gift shop or something. If they use the card online then you need the 3 digit security code so these had to have been in person purchases. Still waiting for a letter from the bank. If they say no fraudulent activity found or some crap like that then I will go somewhere else. Maybe a credit union.

Old 12-27-14, 03:09 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
they cloned the card then gave the number to someone in CA cause 2 of the items were for 1.75 now that it cleared so that must have been a vending machine to "test" the cloned card.
Several years ago I got a call from Discover Card wanting to know if I made an 89 purchase at store in New Jersey. I've not been to NJ in over 40 yrs. They said that crooks had somehow gotten my cc # and made a small purchase to see if it would go thru, the next purchase would be large. They cancelled my card and issued me a new one. A slight inconvenience but I wasn't billed for any fraudulent charges. Apparently it's commonplace for the 1st charge or 2 to be small as they give their scheme a test run.

Hopefully your bank will make things right!

Also hope you had a merry Christmas anyway

Old 12-29-14, 11:13 PM
Yea Christmas was good otherwise. Same thing happened to my mom at another bank. She lost her wallet and instead of turning it in they went on a shopping spree. They did a small purchase to test the card then went and got a whole bunch of large ticket items. That bank called though to let her know. My bank you're on your own for reporting fraudulent activity. I did not get charged a overdraft fee thanks to the 24 grace period. While it happened over the weekend and I didn't get paid till Wednesday it took that long before it cleared so I got paid just in time to avoid a overdraft as it was pending(still haven't been reimbursed yet) so that saved me $23. I notice now that the cleared amount and payee is slightly different then it was when the charges were pending. Hope that don't complicate the investigation.

Old 01-08-15, 10:26 PM
Update I got credited all the money that was taken from the fraudulent charges. Still no letter but I got my money back.

Old 01-08-15, 11:02 PM
Group Moderator
That's good news.

Old 01-08-15, 11:18 PM
I agree that is great news. Do you have a credit card you can use? Maybe one from work if you don't personally own it and one you can pay back with your bosses permission? You are much better protected with a credit card although many banks will eventually put the money back into your debit card. The nice thing with a credit card is that you usually still have a balance left that you can use until the matter is settled. So there is a bit of a cushion there to protect you. Just thought I would add that advice to help protect you in the future. The important thing though is that you have your money.

Old 01-09-15, 04:09 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I agree that using a credit card makes a lot of sense for many reasons BUT you have to be disciplined enough [not saying you aren't] to use the card and not have the card use you! CC interest is among some of the highest. I don't know what my CC charges for interest and don't care because I make it a point to never charge anything I can't pay in full when the bill comes.

Old 01-09-15, 09:34 AM
Super Moderator
Most debit cards with the CC logo are pretty much protected the same way. Couple of years ago wifes debit card number got grabbed and there were a few charges in a Spanish sporting goods store. Bank called us, we cancelled the card, 2 days later money back in the account.

Matter of fact, her brand new CC (due to the divorce thing) that hasn't even been used got a few out of area charges the other day and the bank alerted her, reversed them immediately, canceled the card and is sending a new one.

The fraud departments of banks are very good at what they do, IMO.

Now cell phone companies OTOH....well, lets not go there.