Taking re-gifting to another level

Old 12-24-14, 08:20 AM
Taking re-gifting to another level

My kids have all grown, moved out, and now have their own families. All that remains here are 3 attics filled with their good intentions, at least they have been telling me they intend to clean those spaces out, "someday".

Well it's almost x-mas and I have resisted buying them more stuff just to fulfill my obligation of gift giving. Since I no longer have any idea what they might want or need that they haven't already bought, I decided to re-gift, so to speak, some of those old memories long forgotten in my attics.

The idea got started with one item, but as I dug through some of those boxes I realized this was a great idea. I quickly found items they could use or display that would have memories attached, something that is hard to find at the stores.

After tomorrow I will let you know if they were pleased or if I got banned from future x-mas gift giving. Whichever way it goes I got past this year's shopping for useless gifts and gave a big hint that if they don't follow through with those good intentions I will have a lifetime supply of presents for them for all occasions.

Happy Holidays to all
Bud

Sponsored Links
Old 12-24-14, 11:29 AM
Group Moderator
That's actually a pretty good idea. I'm curious how well it goes over.

Old 12-24-14, 05:05 PM
I think it is a great idea too only I think I would mix the old things up so they actually go to a different person. Maybe that way they will not remember about the old item. Anyway I wish you luck and hope you share how it worked for you. Merry Christmas!

Old 12-24-14, 06:46 PM
Bud, you are a genius !

Old 12-24-14, 07:25 PM
Some of these items may actually have been gifts, but more are memorabilia. My daughter's high school jacket will get a lot of laughs as she realizes how SMALL it is. I need not say more. A large box of legos for my son, as he now has a son and a collection to add these to. A shoe box of letters and pictures which I didn't even dare to read through, I'll let her sort out her past. Then a large box of pictures from my wife's side, which is a rare discovery as her father had cataloged about 20 binders full of all of their photos before he past. No one knew these were up there, they will get sorted and added to the collection, but out of the attic.

Digging through the past can be a lot of fun and hopefully that is how they all see it.

About 12 hours to go.

Bud

Old 12-24-14, 07:36 PM
Group Moderator
It's actually good finding the pictures now as the attic is one of the worst places for long term storage of them.

Name:  xmas.gif
Views: 66
Size:  436 Bytes

Old 12-24-14, 11:39 PM
It's actually good finding the pictures now as the attic is one of the worst places for long term storage of them.
I couldn't agree with you more Peter you are quite right. If possible it would be great if you could digitize the pictures by scanning them into your computer. Unfortunately the summer heat of an attic can speed along fading fast and once digitized you can have your pictures forever. I was digitizing negatives which with my set up is very tiresome so I quit for a while but think I will return to it starting next year between my other projects and my work.

Old 12-25-14, 12:18 PM
Well, the re-gifting of items left behind and long forgotten was a great success, especially the old pictures and letters. One box belonged to my wife's mother and included family letters that started "Dear Mother" and went on to describe the fighting in the trenches in France in WWI in 1918.

Reading the letters, past and distant past, made me think about the thread not long ago where schools are no longer teaching writing. Heck, we don't even take pictures any more. I guess I'm just getting old.

But we were late going over to my son's house as my wife and oldest daughter were up to their elbows going through the memorabilia. They really had a good time and guess what, I have so much more in those attics that we all get to do it again and again .

Bud