way to make money

Old 12-27-14, 09:18 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
way to make money

I knew the starter was going out on my tractor but I needed to grade a neighbor's driveway and I figured as long as I kept the tractor running there wouldn't be any problem. Apparently when I was scooping some slate off of the hill to fill ruts a branch knocked one of my ignition wires loose. Wound up stalling the engine and while it restarted a few times the starter was getting worse and both died before I noticed the ignition problem. Had to leave my tractor there overnight

I could have gotten a new starter online for $120 but I didn't want to wait, especially with rain in the forecast so I called around and found one for $129. I didn't realize there was a core charge for not bringing my old starter with me. They have a 3% surcharge if you use a credit card and while I was prepared to pay cash, I didn't have enough for the core charge so I had to put what I lacked on my credit card. When they handed me the receipt I saw where they charged $5 for using the credit card. I complained and they said it was the 3% surcharge. But I paid $140 in cash, why do I have to pay a surcharge for the entire amount - I replied. They said that's the way it is, have a nice day, come back soon

Even though they didn't mention the core when I called, I should have known But what gets me is how they come about the surcharge, if I had only been $1 short, the surcharge would have still been $5 I knew there was a reason I stopped dealing with them besides the 75 mile round trip!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-27-14, 11:22 AM
Group Moderator
City water company here use to have tricky way of rounding down the gallons on your water bill when they charged you. Next months bill the rounded off amount of water got added back in before rounding but depending on how close you were to the rate structure line the extra amount could throw you in to a higher per gallon charge even with the rounding for that month. Therefore the amount they previously rounded off was charged at a higher rate then if they had not rounded it off. They did that for decades till a TV station ran an article about it.

Of course I have always hated them. They charge a minimum of 2000 gallons/month and I use around a thousand gallons a month.

Old 12-28-14, 09:00 PM
I don't care for the water company around here either they bill for three months at a time by which time your bill can be very high. Also since they are a government entity they can place a lien on your property and have a way of reminding you of that almost every time. At one time they had a so called poll asking people if they wanted a monthly bill as there had been many requests. So we filled in the form and said yes we wanted a monthly bill. Well you guessed it the next bill said sorry there just wasn't enough interest in a monthly bill which I find hard to believe.

Old 12-29-14, 03:58 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Don't get me started on the water company
Our public water is supplied by a private company. I always pay my bills on time but I've had to pay them a late charge 5-6 times over the years. I used to mail in my payment but every now and then they'd claim it took 2-3 weeks for the mail to get delivered so I started using their drop box. They lost the last payment I put in the drop box they claim that the drop box is just a convenience for their customers and does not guarantee that the bill will reach the office. So now I hand deliver the payment and request a receipt. I will not be shocked when I get a past due bill and they say the receipt isn't valid!

Old 12-29-14, 06:20 AM
Water companies!!! My list is long, but those lost payments and the unknown time between me mailing it and them opening the letter needed to be resolved. So, I mailed my payment in plenty of time and then stopped by on the last day to see if it had been credited. I was prepared to cut another check if it was also lost to avoid the late charge and the late notice with the bright orange see through panel so anyone seeing knows "I was late", but not why.

Anyway, no payment recorded so they went looking. In a file cabinet, in a folder for my address was the envelope with my payment. They said, when the payment comes in early they just file it and open it on the due date. My mind is trying not to explode and I asked what happens if they don't get to my letter that day. Answer "the payment is recorded as late".

Bud

Old 12-29-14, 06:28 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I guess part of the problem is the fact that they are a monopoly and don't have to fight to keep our business. Years ago they lost my neighbor's payment and he had to repay including the late charge 1.5 yrs later they found the check, cashed it which caused one of his outstanding checks to bounce When he found out why his account was insufficient he told them they shouldn't have cashed the check since he paid for a stop payment of that particular water bill check. The bank told him that a stop payment order is only good for 12 months.

Old 12-29-14, 09:38 AM
Don't checks have a time limit on the date? I always thought after 6 months a check was no good.

Bud

Old 12-29-14, 11:58 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
My neighbor said the bank told him a check was only good for 1 year but since it made it thru anyway - there was nothing they could/would do

I brought my old starter back for the core charge this afternoon and the guy behind the counter was older than those who worked saturday so I complained again about the credit card handling charge. He said the charge was based on the total sale and I reminded him I paid $140 cash and the charge should only be based on the amount put on the card. That seemed to puzzle him but then a light bulb went off and he agreed to refund the excess amount as long as I didn't tell anyone - I know y'all won't rat me out He also refunded the core charge in cash so he wouldn't have to charge me another 3% fee for crediting my card.

Old 12-29-14, 12:35 PM
Group Moderator
More proof older people have more smarts. Glad you resolved it.

Old 12-29-14, 12:45 PM
Someone may need to correct me here, but I thought gas sales got into a bind years ago when they charged extra for using a credit card. Since then all I have seen is an advertised price with a cash discount. I don't think a business can add a % to the price when they discover you will be charging it on plastic.

Bud

Old 12-29-14, 02:20 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I'd have to double check to know for sure but there is an Exxon station in a town near me that has a cash only price on their sign. I haven't traded there in years but I think they still charge extra for using a credit card.

Old 12-29-14, 05:42 PM
marksr, I would bet charging the 3% on the cash part would be illegal.

Old 12-29-14, 05:56 PM
Super Moderator
The difference on gas is because they have to pay a fee to the CC company. Several businesses I go to prefer debit as they don't have to pay the 5% or whatever to the CC service.

My local gas place is $.10 cheaper cash or debit.

Old 12-30-14, 03:25 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I understand the store's thinking with charging a fee for using credit cards as the card companies charge the store a fee to process the transaction. I brought cash to avoid the fee but forgot about the core charge I expected to pay the charge on the $37 I was short and in the end - that's all I had to pay it on. What I don't understand is most of the places that I know charge extra for using a credit card are also the places that charge a higher price to start with.

I used to buy most of my tractor parts from this store but then I found a mom and pop tractor parts and repair shop that was both closer and a good bit cheaper BUT they closed up shop for a week [Christmas] Supposedly they sold me a new starter [says so on the receipt] but it's obviously a rebuilt starter. But it works and I got my tractor back to the barn before the rains returned

Old 12-30-14, 04:42 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
More proof older people have more smarts
And we can make change without the assistance of a computerized cash register telling us how much it is. Woe be to someone in line when the power goes out during your transaction and the kids can't see the register. And, please, be considerate. Don't try to give them a $5 bill and 61 cents for a $3.61 purchase. It only adds to the confusion in their life.

Old 12-30-14, 09:44 PM
Group Moderator
Another profession that knows how to make money: Alabama man gets $1,000 in police settlement, his lawyers get $459,000 | Reuters

Old 12-30-14, 10:20 PM
marksr I am glad you got your money back that is using your brain for sure. I always thought it was illegal for merchants to charge a fee and actually it is in certain states but not in the majority of states. Well you can't blame the small business really as those processing fees are murder on any small business. They certainly were for my father when he owned his gas station for whatever he sold to someone who had a credit card. Back then though the credit card companies wielded more power but apparently a class action lawsuit was filed and the merchants won and can now charge a fee.

I found an old article from ABC news that talks about when merchants were allowed to charge fees except in certain states. One other thing too marksr the next time you pay by credit card if you have an American Express card then get it out as American Express has a contract with merchants that forbids them to charge a fee. Here is a link to the article fairly short but seems to be factual Credit Card Fees Take Effect Sunday - ABC News

Old 12-31-14, 06:21 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Still on extended vacation and bought gas across country NC to Cal. have seen sign price as one price than if use card it a additional charge in several states. In LA the Arco (AM, PM) I went to has a 35. cent flat fee for use of a card.
PS Love Gas Buddy has saved me many $$$$. Vic was just in your town yesterday.