No more IE

Old 12-30-14, 09:40 AM
Super Moderator
No more IE

I just heard this morning, that Microsoft is not including Internet Explorer with Windows 10! They're putting out a new browser they're going to call "Spark", which will mimic Firefox.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-30-14, 09:46 AM
Group Moderator
The Win 10 preview I'm running has IE 11 - many were surprised it was not 12 and this may be why.

Old 12-30-14, 09:52 AM
Group Moderator
Old 12-30-14, 09:56 AM
Group Moderator
They're just jealous of Chrome so like the Smiths they are trying to keep up with the Jones but as usual are a little late to the party.

Old 12-30-14, 09:59 AM
Super Moderator
Oops, sounded like they said Spark. Either way, Spark or Spartan are both goofy names, lol!

Old 12-30-14, 10:32 PM
I hadn't heard that thanks Becky and I agree either name is goofy. I just wonder if it will be IE in disguise and I personally will probably not use it as I prefer Firefox. I also wonder if it will report back more often about what you are looking at at the time. There has been this so called privacy war between Google and Microsoft and particularly centering around Microsoft's Bing search engine and Googles Search engine. I don't really see a big difference but Bing is now offering gift cards after so many searches and I can't pass up something free

Old 12-31-14, 05:58 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Richard, TANSTAFL*. Bing is using your search data to advertise, and the gift cards are funded by your advertisement exposure. A duck by any other name is still a duck, IMO. Spark, IE, whatever, I find myself distancing myself from Microsoft as much as possible. If I weren't old, I'd probably try to get into LINUX, but the train has been on the tracks too long.

Oh, There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch*

Old 12-31-14, 06:12 AM
Group Moderator
Larry I was past 50 when I started Linux and it was a lot harder to learn back then. Now it is much easier and for those use to older versions of Windows KDE desktop will seem more familiar then the latest versions of Windows.

No IE but other browsers you use will be the same and work the same way so nothing to learn.Software will be different but for the most part will work the same way. Most hardware you have will work just fine and in most cases with out needing to install drivers. If you have older hardware it may actually be more likely to work in Linux then the latest Windows.

Old 12-31-14, 06:59 AM
Temporarily Suspended
My concern with the new browser will be how secure it is. We won't know for awhile. Knowing Microsoft, it's almost guaranteed to be full of holes.

Clarification on Ray's post. KDE is part of the X windows system which has nothing to do with MS Windows. I don't know why Linux is always mentioned as the main alternative to Windows. I started with FreeBSD which is Unix & I still use it. Linux is somewhat of a Unix copycat. The only Linux that I use is Kali which is the last Backtrack, for lack of a better description. It's a penetration testing operating system. I run it in a VM. I'll leave it at that for now.

Old 12-31-14, 08:16 AM
Group Moderator
BSD is very good but IMHO not as easy for beginners and AFAIK more software is written specifically for Linux. Of course if some pundits are to be believed the best version of BSD is Apple's.

I like challenge though. I have a spare 80 gig HD I can connect as an external drive. Will try Free BSD and let you know what I think.

Old 12-31-14, 12:19 PM
Temporarily Suspended
Yes, some versions of Linux are easier for beginners & more software is written for Linux. Most people who try Linux don't even know how to use the command prompt in Windows, so I don't know how well they expect to do with Linux. After all, it's more of a CLI than a GUI. When Windows 10 is released, I'll get a new machine, with a lot of memory & put 3 or 4 Linux & Unix VMs on it.

Old 12-31-14, 12:24 PM
Oh, There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch
I know Larry and actually don't mind as long as I get something out of it and as I said I see no difference between Google and Bing. I have even done surveys in the past where either I would put in a search term or the survey place would and they would say we are trying out anonymous searches. Later on I would find that it was between Google and Bing and sometimes Yahoo but I really didn't see much difference. I don't however give them my primary e-mail address I use an AOL e-mail address I set up just for things like that.

Old 12-31-14, 12:32 PM
Will try Free BSD and let you know what I think
I am not sure but I think I tried BSD years ago but always went back to PCLinuxos as being the easier of all of them to use. Even PCLinuxos though has its own set of problems though but it isn't bad really and it is interesting to experiment with. I can't say I know a great deal about it but have learned a few basic commands if I run into problems and I know how to reset the computer if things freeze. Also using Synaptic I think is the easiest part about PCLinuxos.

Old 12-31-14, 12:51 PM
Group Moderator
FreeBSD. Well what the heck? The live CD has no GUI. Geeze! Now I remember why I never really used BSD they are stuck in the 1990's of alternate OS and seem to like it there.

I tried to be friendly about BSD but honestly you couldn't really expect the average Windows user to switch to BSD. Maybe freeBSD is just the Slackware of BSD and the other favors are more user friendly but I have to say as easy and as well as Linux works why bother.

Sorry if that sounds unfriendly but still a little frustrated from four hours of download then trying to get the Live CD to boot into a GUI which it turns out doesn't exist.

Old 12-31-14, 01:07 PM
FreeBSD and Linux are used a lot for servers and to run hardware that is not a PC. I find Windows works just fine for me and has to well over a decade. I never used any of the Win9X versions which were complete crap.

I don't understand why MS puts money into a browser anyway? I don't see how there is any ROI with it.

Old 12-31-14, 04:12 PM
Temporarily Suspended
I don't recommend one OS over another. None of them are perfect. I have 3 running at all times. I use each one for different reasons. My main system is still windows. Win 8 almost changed that for a lot of users. We'll see what happens with Win 10.

I don't want to hijack the thread so bringing it back to the browser topic, Windows still has the best browsers. Konquerer & Chimea, if I spelled them correctly, don't compare to IE, FF or Chrome.

Old 12-31-14, 05:02 PM
Group Moderator
I think only a few diehards still use Konquerer. There are just too many other options. With the exception of IE though all the major browser including Chrome IE and FF are cross platform supported so OS choice hardly affects browser choice and I'd guess most Linux users use FF or Chrome (Chrome not Chromium though diehards do still use it instead of Chrome.)

Rereading my previous post I apologize if I came off the harsh about freeBSD.

Old 01-01-15, 11:42 AM
I'm still using Opera. It seems they are basing they browser on the Chromium core now. I'm not sure why Google came out with their own browser either. Opera and Fire Fox both get most of their money from Google.

Old 01-01-15, 01:05 PM
Group Moderator
Chrome has its uses. If you are running Linux it is the only one that will play Netflix videos.

Old 01-09-15, 06:09 PM
I had pipelight and silverlight running on a custom x64 debian system and was running netflix on any browser I wanted, at times even using a tor proxy. I used it with Panopto as well, along side a user control agent plugin with which ever browser was being used.

On the IE note, I heard it just earlier today and now found this thread. I am thrilled it is going. I had to use it once recently, and.... It was not fun. Nuff said.

The college I attend actually stresses to the students to use Firefox over any other browser and I have been a hard Firefox user myself. Very powerful application with many, many plugins.

On an extra note regarding Microsoft and Linux, my Visual Basic instructor informed us that we would be using a new version of Visual Studio in this new year that has platforms for all other platforms, including Linux, Android, Apple, and more. Thats right, programming for Linux on a Visual Studio platform. May sound simple at first, but it means a lot.

The pressure has been on, many people are switching to Linux, and even Ubuntu was sold installed on some models of the HP All-In-One touch screen computers off the shelf at major retail stores. Linux also beta tested a so called "kde tablet" that, if successful, will be the first Linux and KDE based tablet out there.

Old 01-18-15, 11:22 PM
IE? Windows? What's that? Been using the Ubuntu version of Linux since 2010 and haven't gone back. Firefox I still think is the superior browser. I don't really trust Chrome. Opera is buggy although maybe that's because I have 30+ tabs opan at a time.

Old 01-22-15, 03:43 PM
I just upgraded to a new PC. I installed 32bit Opera on it and this version seems to be way better than the 64bit version I was using. I think they stopped development on the 64bit. Opera has always had issues for the decade or so that I have been using it. But I absolutely hate FireFox and IE is a turd. The current versions of Opera are based on Chromium. I'm not sure what the point is, or why Google even developed their own browser when they fund so many others.