Air hockey table repair

Old 01-01-15, 04:37 PM
Air hockey table repair

I'm posting in general topics because it turns out air hockey table repair isn't a common topic on the Internet. My arcade style dynamo brand air hockey table is no longer working after it was moved and the board inside fell over. I've identified two fuses that seem replaceable but I don't know enough about fuses and electrical boards to go any further. Can anyone identify the fuse I'd need to buy, where I can buy it, how to even remove it (I've pulled on it hoping it pops out but I haven't had luck), and if it looks like it's even broken.
http://imgur.com/2JBOfTy
This image is of the two fuses. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-01-15, 05:31 PM
Group Moderator
Make sure the game is unplugged. Pull up on the fuses and they should pop free. If they don't a flat blade screw driver can be used to pry them out. Then look carefully at the metal ends of the fuse. It will say it's amperage rating.

But, both of those fuses look good. It can't be determined for sure from the picture but I don't think your problem is the fuses.

Old 01-01-15, 06:07 PM
Thank you, I'll try to pry them out without breaking anything. The fuses don't look blown, but one side of one of them looks slightly out of place so I'm hoping that changing it will fix it because I have no idea where else to start if it isn't the fuse http://i.imgur.com/hTr0p4j.jpg that's what the inside looks like and I can see anything that got unplugged or damaged. I also am not familiar with any of this. I'll call a professional soon, but there aren't that many out there.

Old 01-01-15, 06:26 PM
Whats that one wire laying there go to ?

Old 01-01-15, 06:46 PM
That's a good question, there is that one wire that is not connected and I can't find an empty spot that makes sense (I don't actually know enough for much of it to make sense). I'll take another picture.

Old 01-01-15, 06:52 PM
http://imgur.com/iFzDL4Q
It goes from the red at the bottom left to the Grey then splits to the peach colored one. The peach is the same as the ones going into the fuses.

Old 01-01-15, 07:24 PM
It looks like it's been work on,with the long wire and not being bundled neat.With out a diagram can't help. Maybe that paperwork can give you a hint on what was done before? Good luck and happy new year.

Old 01-01-15, 07:36 PM
Thank you, happy new year to you too

Old 01-01-15, 08:10 PM
Group Moderator
That plate in the lower left is the common grounding point. It looks like both of the bolts go thru the plate and are tied together. The gray power cable coming in has three wires... white, black and green. The green should also go to that plate.

There is a common receptacle at the top of the unit. There is one plug plugged in. Take something small.... a night light, a small table lamp, etc and try plugging it in the extra receptacle and see if it works. The power switch needs to be on.

Old 01-01-15, 08:46 PM
I plugged a lamp in and it didn't work! I followed the green card and found a stripped wire. It feels sharp like part of it is broken but it doesn't seem like it's broken enough for that to stop the current.http://imgur.com/aTU1xf5 can you see it in the light green wire in the middle?

Old 01-02-15, 06:16 AM
Group Moderator
What brand and model is your game? Is it coin operated or a home game? I assume it's a Dynamo from the mid 90's as your control board was discontinued in 1998. On the door look for a version number.

Does the game do anything? Any sounds, lights or blinking LED on the circuit board?

It looks like the green, ground wire has been damaged. Probably by something loose inside the game falling on it when it was moved. It should be fixed but it should not keep the game from working.

Old 01-02-15, 08:26 AM
Nothing happens when I turn it on, when it was working the score board lights came on when it was turned on. Now I just hear a slight buzzing from the power but nothing else. I tried. Starting a game thinking maybe it was just the scoreboard, but the game still didn't turn on.

It's a coin op dynamo, I believe from the 90s. It's model dh--100. At the point I'm guessing it's one of the connections that were damaged, I think a few were bent. I just don't know how to tell it they're broken or not.

Old 01-02-15, 10:17 AM
Group Moderator
Here is the service manual. Since you hear a humming I assume AC power is getting at least to the power supply. From your description I would start with the problem solving chart #3 on page 30.

At this point don't worry that your control board does not look like the one in the manual. Yours is obsolete but can be upgraded to the current controls if needed. It looks like the rest of the machine remained largely unchanged through the different versions.

---
For others following along here is the wiring diagram for the machine. This schematic is for the newer/current model but I think the difference between is Amanda's machine has the older style control board and has a 12vac power supply instead of the current 10vac.

Old 01-02-15, 05:32 PM
Thank you so much for your help! This will definitely lead me in the right direction. Hopefully I can figure it all out, I have a feeling I'll still end up needing an arcade repair person but I feel a lot better now that I have a pretty good idea of what's going on. I don't think I have the tools to test out the connection but some people I work with might. Thanks again!

Old 01-02-15, 11:22 PM
Group Moderator
We'll be here to assist if you grab someone from work for a troubleshooting party.