Vegetable Oil, it doesn't come from Vegetables! Huh!

Old 01-01-15, 07:34 PM
Vegetable Oil, it doesn't come from Vegetables! Huh!

If this were a bet, I would have lost, but they don't use vegetables, any vegetables, to make vegetable oil. And the processing they use makes the deception even worse. Here is a local article on the topic.
The myths about vegetable oil — Health — Bangor Daily News — BDN Maine

Bud

Sponsored Links
Old 01-01-15, 07:47 PM
Super Moderator
I've seen some of his articles before...he's a loon in my opinion.

Old 01-01-15, 08:13 PM
I haven't done any of my own searching, but I doubt he is that far off. ... Just did a basic WIKI search List of vegetable oils - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia and not once did I see a carrot, peas, or any other vegetables I would normally think should be on the list. Like him or not, I think he is dead on with this report.

Bud

Old 01-01-15, 08:23 PM
Super Moderator
Well, I do agree that these aren't carrot or pea oils....but everything I know says that things like canola or olive are healthier than lard or butter. Not that those in moderation will kill you any faster. My nephews wife is a "holistic health life coach" (whatever the hell that is) and she uses canola, olive, and other such oils almost exclusively.

I'm a butter and margarine guy for spreading...olive and canola for cooking.

I still love some bacon grease, ham, and green beans once in a while.

Old 01-01-15, 08:47 PM
Medical scientists change their collective minds on a fairly frequent basis. For a while salt was an absolute no-no and then they discovered that salt is an essential nutrient and said that salt is okay. A few years later and it was bad again and then a few more years and it was good. Same with butter and then margarine. Originally tomatoes were supposed to be poisonous. Quite honestly, the TRUTH is that we are all individuals and we all process foods in slightly different ways. What is really bad for you might be okay for me and vice versa. Science has "proven" that both chocolate and red wine can be considered "healthy" under some very specific guidelines but both are also bad when done in excess. The problem is...what amount/frequency (of anything) is acceptable for any particular person?

No one is going to die from eating an occasional Big Mac, but if anyone thinks they can live forever on JUST Big Macs they will find out sooner rather than later that just isn't true. Flip side, just because olive oil is supposed to be good for you doesn't mean that you can drink a quart a day and instantly be considered healthy.

Old 01-01-15, 09:34 PM
Then there are those pesky government guidelines either federal or state that tell manufacturers how to make certain things. Case in point I haven't tried them but I hear that cookies from a company called Bergers are really great as they put fudge all over them. Well at one time they used lard if memory serves me right from the news report and then they used margarine because of a government regulation. Now the government is thinking about taking away margarine for who knows what. What we don't need is more regulation and tasteless food.

I guess some of what is said about certain oils is true and margarine but I know one thing I am going to continue to eat what I want in moderation of course. I see it this way I would rather eat something that tastes good than something that tastes awful and I hope companies can try to hold back government regulation as long as possible.

Old 01-02-15, 04:09 AM
Vegetables don't necessarily mean an item you can or want to eat. Veggi oil is in fact an oil made from vegetables. Be it corn or soy or cotton.

Old 01-02-15, 06:29 AM
Group Moderator
I tried olive oil after my stroke but then after reading how often extra virgin olive oil, even brand names, were often "counterfeit", intentionally adulterated with cheaper oils to increase profit, I switched to grape seed oil. About the same price but less likely to be "counterfeit" and higher smoke point. Tried coconut oil but its smoke point is just too low for frying and I like an oil that can be use for both baking and frying. Makes things simpler.

Old 01-02-15, 07:33 PM
The general public has been hoodwinked by a particular TV personality that uses "EVOO" on everything. Most times you do NOT want extra virgin but just plain olive oil. Trouble is, try finding anything but extra virgin in the stores these days.

Old 01-02-15, 07:49 PM
Group Moderator
Furd! I love Rachael Ray! She can hoodwink me anytime! LOL

Those of you who thought vegetable oil was made from vegetables may also be surprised to learn that "circus peanuts" contain no nuts. ;-)

Old 01-02-15, 08:42 PM
Group Moderator
And beer nuts don't grow on beer trees. They are nodules on the roots of beer bushes and not really true nuts.

Old 01-03-15, 02:01 AM
I think that RR is pretty cute also. My point is that for frying you do not want extra virgin for two reasons, it has a lower temperature range before burning and it is more expensive. EVOO is used as a condiment AFTER cooking or on foods that are not cooked.

Old 01-03-15, 05:21 AM
It seems that people that are extreme supporters of Organic food try really hard to find ways to defame all other foods. His arguments are weak and somewhat immature.

Tomatoes are a nightshade just like potatoes. While I don't know the exact story as to why they were considered poisonous at one time, I'm sure this has everything to do with it. The plants and green fruit of both of them contain a poison called solanine. Eating large amounts of the tomato plant or green fruit can harm you. I know that when new varieties of potato are bred, they test the resulting potatoes to make sure the levels of the toxin aren't too high.

His point about Native tribes consuming large amounts of animal products doesn't mean much either. They certainly didn't cook and slather everything they ate with lard the way modern Americans had. While saturated fats are important for your body, cooking everything with bacon fat is going to clog your arteries. I would sure like to know the life expectancy of these Native Americans he referenced as well.

Chocolate is good for you. It's the sugar that it is mixed with that makes it bad. That's why they always cite "dark chocolate" as being healthy because it has the least amount of sugar.

Old 01-03-15, 05:32 AM
When I was a kid up to about the age of 15 I though virgin wool was from a sheep that never got knocked up.

Old 01-03-15, 07:16 AM
Super Moderator
EVOO is used as a condiment AFTER cooking or on foods that are not cooked.
At the Italian AF base I spent quite a bit of time at, they had little containers of olive oil at every table in the mess hall. I found out on my second trip it wasn't even EVOO. The heavier flavor of the regular stuff is what they preferred.

I think the EVOO thing is more American than Italian. Or an invention of fancy chefs at least.

Old 01-03-15, 05:22 PM
I think you are right, Vic.

Old 01-03-15, 05:26 PM
They keep the good stuff in Italy and export the lesser grades.

Old 01-03-15, 06:05 PM
Isn't there a move afoot in Italy to copyright or patent or protect the term EVOO to only product made in Italy? Or is that cheese or something?

Old 01-04-15, 08:00 AM
Norm, I'm with your #7: "vegetable" just means it's oil that's been extracted from some kind of plant, not necessary to find that plant on the dinner table. In school I remember having to guess whether something was from an "animal, vegetable or mineral" source. Ok, this is vegetable. The cotton shirts we wear are vegetable material, but the polyester percentage is mineral, because it's made from petroleum. The clay in flowerpots and grandma's good dishes is mineral. The leather in your shoes is animal, but rubber bands are vegetable. A nylon brush is mineral (petroleum), natural brush bristles (hog, boar, sable) and horsehair are animal. Amazing the things we've learned to use or make from whatever!

Old 01-04-15, 08:50 AM
LOL, I sure hope those "horse hairs" are from horses. Oh, oh PETA will be after someone.

But labels, IMO, have become far too deceptive or non-descriptive. I don't want an entire government department to pop up identifying every element in every product, but given the availability of the internet it seems a simple thing to ask. Granted it was naive of me to ever think that veg oil actually came from veggies I would expect to see on the dinner table, but having cared for both sets of parents and now crossing that old age threshold, the deception is truly something I have come to hate. Today I can laugh about it. Tomorrow I will be buying what I think is a combination of peas, carrots, and so on, and I will be part of a growing population.

Thanks for all of the replies, I am enjoying it.
Bud