Insanity

Old 01-03-15, 05:26 AM
Group Moderator
Insanity

What's that quote about insanity being doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results?

Had to do timing belt job on daughter's car right after Christmas:

http://www.doityourself.com/forum/ge...n-weekend.html

So what do I do yesterday? Got a call asking if I was interested in buying a "junk" car. Price allowed for towing to recycler and I could make a hundred bucks or so. But wait! It's a '97 Camry and it's not sitting on blocks under a tarp in someone's driveway; no, it's on the side of road where it coasted to a stop the previous night because......the timing belt broke. Met them at roadside, exchanged $ for title and it now sits in my driveway. Already ordered the t-belt kit.

Madness.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-15, 05:31 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
glutton for punishment is one saying that comes to mind

At least this time it ought to go easier since you've have the previous one fresh in your memory

Old 01-03-15, 05:32 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
If you don't learn from your mistakes, you are destined to repeat them. B. Franklin (or someone far smarter than me)

Old 01-03-15, 06:36 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Just hope they did not sit there turning the key trying to get it start after it broke and bent the push rods.
I watched a group of guys trying to change a timing belt in a motor home at a camp ground once for 2 days.
There kept leaving and coming back with another belt.
Come to find out they had never put a socket on the idler to swing it out to relieve the pressure on the belt and had been using a pry bar to try and get it on the sprocket.
Funny thing was there was a diagram in plan sight right on the hood right in front of them showing how to do it.

Old 01-03-15, 11:24 AM
Group Moderator
No pushrods, OHC and non-interference engine just like the Corolla. Timing belts are like riding a bicycle, Mark.

At least this one I can do at my leisure AND the parts won't cost as much. On the Corolla I was pretty much stuck with what I could get on the weekend [at retail; I get big discount with CarQuest, but they didn't stock the parts; got them from Advance, but the Advance/CarQuest buyout hasn't merged the customer databases yet] as daughter was leaving Tuesday to drive back home cross-state. Can't get a PO from a motor club for the tow, though.....