Our tax dollars at work....

Old 01-06-15, 07:15 PM
Group Moderator
Our tax dollars at work....

Gotta love the IRS; we're 6 days into the new year and yet if you look up tax forms for 2014, they have the 1040 ready to download/use, but the instruction manual is not yet available. Guess they've been too busy covering up for Ms. Lerner.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-15, 07:52 PM
Super Moderator
That sucks! Have you tried to use any tax software yet? I need to get ours done in the next day or so because wife and I are splitting permanently and that's a major factor.

Or do you just download forms and do it manually?

Old 01-06-15, 08:29 PM
Group Moderator
I used TaxAct for several years and found it did the job. Basically free if you mail in your returns and no state income tax or a few dollars for electronic returns. Been about five years though since I needed to use it. It may have changed.

Old 01-06-15, 08:49 PM
Super Moderator
I tried TaxAct a while back and just didn't like it for some reason, now I use the HRBlock software (used to be TaxCut I think?). Yeah, it costs a few bucks, but there's always a discount.

Heck, I can get mine done for free at Liberty as a Vet, but they are so incompetent it took them 2 weeks to get the paperwork filed the first time. Even then, I had to go back and do a refile because they didn't know the State laws on Vets.

Old 01-07-15, 03:00 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I use Turbo Tax (Intuit), and have for years. Just ordered mine. I can't wait until I put the disk in and it advises to download updates. It would be like Microsoft updates.....installing 2 of 145. Also, I have heard to wait until the last minute to file electronically if you have this type of preparation as updates will be wonky due to the IRS' super intelligent way of doing things.

Old 01-07-15, 03:38 AM
I'm going on 18 years with TaxAct. As far as I know it's the only one that has never had a recall or major mistake. Updates? Yes. but never a blatant mistake. It has not changed much in the past years. The only thing I don't like is that their web site is a bit difficult to navigate. The best part is the cost, only $21 for deluxe package including the state.

Old 01-07-15, 04:16 AM
Group Moderator
The accountant that handled my corporate stuff and returns passed away this year, so I'll be doing my own [really not that complicated]. I don't have any pressing deadlines beyond the corporate return that's due, I think, in March, but it just torques me off that the IRS can't get their act together. If the new congress really wanted to improve our lives they would abolish the IRS and get us on a national sales tax.

Old 01-07-15, 04:28 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Has the IRS ever had their act together? Several times I've gotten a letter from them demanding immediate payment for taxes they thought I owed but then it would take them several months to acknowledge the proof I submitting proving I didn't owe.

I've always done my own taxes and for years I also did the business portion of my taxes BUT when I finally started having an accountant take care of the business portion - I wondered why I had waited so long!! The extra cost was miniscule compared to the extra time I had to find to do the paper work.

Old 01-07-15, 04:41 AM
Group Moderator
Amen! My favorite rule about the IRS [unless this is an urban legend] is that if you call them with a question and they give you the wrong answer, you're still responsible for errors.

Of course all of you commenting know you'll be getting audited, right?

Old 01-07-15, 04:57 AM
Group Moderator
Called them and got right through.

"They're running a little behind but the instructions should be available soon".

Old 01-07-15, 06:09 AM
Super Moderator
abolish the IRS and get us on a national sales tax.
Amen brother! That or a fair flat tax would work for me.

is that if you call them with a question and they give you the wrong answer, you're still responsible for errors.
That's true....I've had it happen. But when I went to a local IRS office back in VA because my Vets disability had been approved, I found some of the most helpful informed people in gov service. Sat right down and helped me do all the paperwork right there. Local office if you have one is always the way to go.

Old 01-07-15, 10:31 AM
What I don't like this year is the IRS sticking its nose into your health care because of the Affordable Care Act(even the name of it makes you cringe Affordable I don't think so). I checked Turbo Tax's website though and it looks like all they ask you is whether you have health insurance. So the question is will they get it right will the forms be filled out right? I trust Turbo Tax I have been using it for about 5 years or so ever since our accountant had his stroke and couldn't do the tax anymore. They just make things more complicated though. I agree though they should abolish those crooks at the IRS.