A new combustion engine

Old 01-09-15, 12:34 PM
A new combustion engine

At least new to me: Duke Engines – 5 Cylinder 4 Stroke 3 Injector Valveless Axial Engine

I love engineering, but that doesn't mean I always understand it. This Duke engine has 5 pistons and three injectors and no valves. I used the above link because it has a good picture of the upper assembly, but it still amazes me that this can function efficiently. A search will turn up many links.

How this can efficiently convert the back and forth motion of the pistons to that wobbling mechanism that then converts it all to a rotary motion is not obvious to me. I get the motion, just not how it does this efficiently. I'm still thinking about the three injectors for 5 pistons??

Bud

Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-15, 01:51 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Not quite the same but the old ford flathead V8s only have 3 exhaust ports on each side. A set of headers makes it look like it's a V6 but the center cylinders share the same exhaust.

..... but that particular engine looks more like something out of star trek than under the hood

Old 01-09-15, 02:23 PM
I followed the Wankel when it first came out but it never became the revolution it was supposed to be. It works, but nothing super special. The first article I read said they would initially target motorcycles, lightweight and high RPM. They seemed to avoid suggesting this design for larger engines, not sure if that implies a limitation or that they just haven't gotten that far. Sure would love to play with a mechanical mock-up.

Bud