Google

Old 01-13-15, 12:54 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Google

If Google can suggest the correct thing I am searching for after a few letters can someone tell me why i get several phone calls a week telling me I need to update my Google listing? Oh and the company was closed several years ago.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-15, 01:11 PM
Group Moderator
Do NOT get me started on the myriad of telemarketing going on in Google's name!!! Some days I am just about ready to hurl my cellphone over the railing of the next bridge I pass over after the umpteenth call about either my Google business listing or someone wanting me to pay them to optimize my listing or improve my standing on the search page.

Old 01-13-15, 03:51 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
ONe from Washington, one from California and one from New York, every day, several times a day. I ask them to take me off their list. Now, I am yelling at them, from the beginning. I just wish I could jerk a cord and make it tighten around their necks.

Old 01-13-15, 04:53 PM
Group Moderator
Interesting.... a friend of mine wanted to advertise with google. Some kind of pay-per-click advertising scheme. He'd just love to start getting calls from them.

Old 01-13-15, 05:08 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I still have the phone numbers on my cell if you want me to PM them to you. He can call them and volunteer his services to them.

Old 01-13-15, 06:20 PM
I have no personal experience with this but I wonder if it might be a reason why Mozilla (Firefox) recently dropped Google in favor of Yahoo as the search engine of choice.

Old 01-13-15, 06:33 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Actually I don't think any of these calls are from Google. The number changes every time, not even the same area code. Kind of like all the card services offers to lower my interest rates.

Old 01-13-15, 07:25 PM
Temporarily Suspended
PCBoss, Have you searched the phone #s in Google? You probably aren't the first to get calls from those numbers & they are probably listed on various sites.

Old 01-14-15, 08:24 AM
Group Moderator
One of my businesses used to advertise with Google through their Add Words program. Basically you select words or phrases and bid a certain amount of money for each click and establish a monthly cap dollar amount. If anybody searches for those words or phrases it puts your site higher on the list. At first the minimum bid amount was five cents. Some key words required a quarter. Once Google figured out that some words were the proper names and trade names of our product they jacked the rate to $3 per click and then to $5. Needless to say I'm not a fan of their monetization scheme.

This marketing also calls into question the value of the search results Google returns. Those first hits especially, even those not listed as advertising.

Just for fun search for something. Not something really major or mainstream but some odd, specialized product or item. Notice the results. Then do the search ten times in a row and see if the search results change. If they are truly doing an honest search should the results change within a one minute period???