Windows10 upgrade FYI

Old 01-22-15, 12:49 PM
Super Moderator
Windows10 upgrade FYI

Just found out that the Windows 10 upgrade will be free to all Windows 8.1 and Windows 7 users, for one year.
Pretty good deal for those of use that use Windows.

You don't have to tell me the reasons for it, I know all about it, lol! Just an FYI!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-15, 01:29 PM
Free or subscription based?

I heard that Microsoft is going to try subscription based Windows is this true?
Is Windows 10 is truly going to be free (I take that one year to mean you have a year to claim the free upgrade), Ex: no subscription like Office 365 and not a free one year trial subscription
I will totally upgrade as I am liking the Technical Preview version and I can't wait until it is finalized

Old 01-22-15, 01:33 PM
Super Moderator
Not sure about the subscription thing, but yes, Win 10 is going to be truly free and we have one year from it's release to get it free. After that, you'll have to pay. It's not a free trial thing.

Old 01-22-15, 01:40 PM
Sounds great to me. I'll upgrade my Win 7 desktop and keep my Win 8.1 on my laptop. 'Bout time Microsoft starting giving stuff away to gain back market share.

Old 01-22-15, 02:31 PM
Group Moderator
Why would anyone want to pay a subscription fee for system software? I'm sure this is all about increasing their revenue.

Old 01-22-15, 02:47 PM
[QUOTE]Why would anyone want to pay a subscription fee for system software? I'm sure this is all about increasing their revenue.[QUOTE]

Wait a minute. Did I misunderstand? Is Win 10 strictly a subscription based OS? How does that work? Will I be able to add 3rd party programs to the OS? And what about browser?

Old 01-22-15, 03:39 PM
A lot of companies are moving to subscription based pricing models. For the user, it keeps the software up to date without having to shell out for a large lump sum and maintains a revenue stream for the company. Why wouldn't system software do the same thing?

I didn't hear anything about Windows 10 being subscription based. I'm sure they would like to do it, but I think its premature.

Old 01-22-15, 04:48 PM
Super Moderator
AFAIK, Windows 10 is not a subscription thing.

Old 01-22-15, 04:55 PM
Group Moderator
Google would have you believe otherwise. Everything is heading that direction.

Old 01-22-15, 05:07 PM
Super Moderator
They just mean they'll keep it current (iow upgraded as needed), for free. No subscription needed.

Old 01-22-15, 05:59 PM
You of course can't believe everything that is written online but I did read an article that says Microsoft is thinking of moving to subscription base. Here is a link to it With Windows 10, Microsoft could move to a subscription-based model | ExtremeTech . The author doesn't seem to mind shelling out money for subscriptions but I know one thing I am not made of money and can't afford subscriptions. If it goes to that I just might completely jump the ship and go to Linux or Apple even though I don't care for it as much.

Old 01-22-15, 06:05 PM
Super Moderator
But articles written this past week, indicate Microsoft has decided not to go that route (not yet, anyway).

Old 01-22-15, 06:09 PM
Well hopefully not Becky but you never know with Microsoft what they will do next.

Old 01-22-15, 08:01 PM
Super Moderator
Just read here.. Sign up for e mail so you know when it gets released..

Windows 10 - Microsoft Windows

I wonder if it will add bloatware to my system... I like 8.1 and am not sure what windows 10 is offering that I dont already have...

Old 01-22-15, 10:36 PM
Thanks Mike for the link it looks like you have to have your Microsoft i.d. which can be an AOL address if you so desire at sign up or any other e-mail.
I kind of like Windows 10 Mike and I think you will too at least from what I saw in the evaluation copy of Windows 10 that I still have on my computer in a virtual machine but haven't accessed in several months now. Been busy with the holidays and the many other day to day things. I really didn't see what looked like bloatware and it is a mix between Windows 7 and Windows 8.

I think you should try the evaluation copy if it is still available and see if you like it in a virtual machine like I did or if you have an old computer you don't use very often and don't care what is on it try it there. I really think you will be pleasantly surprised.

Old 01-23-15, 04:43 AM
Group Moderator
I might go that route, maybe load it on the laptop I carry in the wrecker with my maps program. Most of what I have read seems positive. Have not and will not use Win8; if Win10 doesn't strike my fancy I'll cling to 7.

Old 01-23-15, 05:59 AM
I found this USA Today article while browsing Facebook Microsoft unveils Windows 10 . It talks a bit about the different features and one in particular I had not heard about and that was something called Cortana. Apparently Cortana is going to be something like Apples Sirri(I hope I am spelling that right) and you will be able to ask your device to do things. This will be helpful for those with carpal tunnel syndrome that goes bad like I had for a while or people with more serious conditions.

Interesting note that they had in the article too and that was that Microsoft apparently is trying to pull away from the pc market and support only mobile devices. Not yet but maybe later on down the road they will pull away from the pc. I hope that isn't true as I like Windows for all of its flaws as there are some things only Windows can do some of which is run certain programs like tax programs that are only written for windows.

Old 01-23-15, 08:34 AM
Group Moderator
I have my Win 10 VM configured so it looks pretty much like 8.1 - I'm using the Start Screen instead of the Start Menu. About the only thing I see better so far is that Snap can now go to quadrants or top/bottom half as well as side to side half.

That said, I think MS did a good job creating an OS that both 7 & 8.1 users will be able to use without much of a learning curve.

Old 01-23-15, 09:14 AM
Temporarily Suspended
There is no way that I would buy a subscription for Windows 10, if that's what they decide to do.

I just sent an email to Hank Kee of The Personal Computer Show. I'm sure that he will announce it on his show. If he answers me by email, I'll post it here.

Old 01-23-15, 09:18 AM
Group Moderator
I've heard nothing about Microsoft going to a subscription model for their OSs. They do have a subscription model for Office (365) but they still have the perpetual license product as well (2013).

Old 01-31-15, 08:07 AM
I will get Win10 but NOT if its subscription base