Blizzard Warning.

Old 01-25-15, 03:24 PM
Blizzard Warning.

Well, looks like we are under a blizzard warning. Forcast snow total for me here in NJ is currently 24"-36". That goes all the way up into New England. Should be an interesting one.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-15, 03:26 PM
Group Moderator
That sounds hard to believe. Let us know how much you get! How far are you from High Point?

Old 01-25-15, 03:31 PM
I must be far. Where is High Point?

Old 01-25-15, 03:50 PM
Group Moderator
LOL! High Point State Park... north border, NW of NYC. Highest point in NJ

Old 01-25-15, 03:55 PM
Group Moderator
Yeah... you're quite far from High Point. I'm actually closer. I'm in Morris County, next to Morristown, and I'm east of High Point.

Old 01-25-15, 03:58 PM
Super Moderator
They're calling for 8" to 15" in Philly. And I thought we were gonna be lucky this year.

Old 01-25-15, 04:11 PM
I'm in Keyport on the Raritan Bay. I will be surprised if we get more than 24" at my house. I'm not sure I've seen anything more than that in this area my entire life.

Old 01-25-15, 04:48 PM
Group Moderator
So, how many new threads will there be for folks trying to get their generators and snow blowers running?

Old 01-25-15, 05:13 PM
For once, I'm far enough north that this one may miss me and slide by to my south.

Old 01-25-15, 05:20 PM
Warming up the generator tomorrow morning, predicting 18" for Bangor, but who knows these days. There is another right after it, how much is unknown right now. Will bring in some fire wood as well. A bad part is they are talking hurricane force winds along the coast, 35 mph here. Since it is predicting really cold that usually means light and fluffy snow. Add in those winds and some places will see 10' drifts. Plus we just got 4" of light and fluffy.

This could be an experience, a good one I hope.

Bud

Old 01-26-15, 03:27 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Maybe our local weatherman feels left out a forecast of 1" of snow for today but it's 40 and raining hard with the temps not likely to drop until tonight ..... not that I feel left out

Old 01-26-15, 04:21 AM
Group Moderator
Mark, I'm not feeling left out either.

Old 01-26-15, 04:38 AM
My daughter lives in Lebanon, PA. As I watched the MSN weather web site it looks like she's in a pocket and just gets a little bit of the storm.

Folks, don't forget to silicon or WD-40 your shovels and snow throwers. And those of you with generators, remember most of them have a low oil cut-off. Have that extra quart of oil on the ready.

Old 01-26-15, 04:49 AM
I hate to go crazy with preparations since the weather prognosticators exaggerate all too often, but it doesn't look like this one is going to blow out to sea. Some last minute shopping, gas and Diesel, and I'm bringing my generator inside the front door to be sure it is warm. Then back out to the front steps if needed. I strap it to a hand truck to make moving easy. Once the storm hits it should be warmer (20 or so) but right now it is -4.

Bud

Old 01-26-15, 12:17 PM
Mark, I'm not feeling left out either.
I AM!! Sitting here at 30 with drizzle and maybe 5" on the ground.

NWS - National Mosaic Enhanced Radar Image: Full Resolution Loop

Old 01-26-15, 12:35 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The storm headed east left about 1/2" - 3/4" of snow here. Still a little below freezing but not bad. The sun has melted / evaporated most of it.
Our "first warning" weather people are upset that they don't have anything exciting to talk about.
I've used the snow blower once so far this winter and the plow equipped tractor is still snug in the garage. So far a very mild winter here, but it's not over and may make me eat my words before spring.

Old 01-26-15, 02:33 PM
Looks like we were downgraded to 18"-24".

This is definitely going to dump significant snow for us. NWS doesn't over hype their stuff. I don't know why people still go to the TV for weather. They always complain about them.

Sorry Joe, but the WunderMap over at weatherunderground.com is far superior.

Old 01-26-15, 03:02 PM
Super Moderator
Weatherunderground is what my paper uses and they've been pretty accurate. I like the maps and radar feeds as well.

Old 01-26-15, 07:46 PM
Here in Western New York we have cold and light snow. Today I decided to shovel the drive and exposed a sheet of ice. I go get the salt and slip. Slam head on ground and bruise my knee! Damn!

To blow off steam I decided to try to start generator which I haven't started in over 3 months. Took thirty pulls but got it started even with that old gas.

Tonight my head hurts and I'm limping. Hell of a way to end the day. At least I'm off work tomorrow.

Old 01-26-15, 09:02 PM
Ouch! My head banger was a light rain onto a very cold sidewalk. Never saw it coming, but hit my head on the edge of the bottom step. Six stitches and I feel very lucky to have gotten away with that, it was a bad fall. I now use a set of rubber stretchy things that have a coil of wire around the rubber and give great traction. I don't leave home without them when there is ice out. Very simple and very safe. Not promoting the store, just showing the product.
Yaktrax Pro Ice Cleats, Ice Grips and Winter Walking Aids - The Warming STore

Bud

Old 01-26-15, 10:45 PM
At this point, I doubt we're even going to get 8''. If we get lucky though I'll be able to break out the 1500W 240V quartz lights and 1,000W sodium lights for a good night of sledding.

Old 01-27-15, 03:59 AM
[QUOTE]I now use a set of rubber stretchy things that have a coil of wire around the rubber and give great traction.[QUOTE]

Bud,
I get chills up my back just reading about your fall.
I've had similar items in my hand at the store several times and decided not to buy them. After yesterday and hearing your story I'm buying a pair.

Old 01-27-15, 04:32 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I've also fell a time or three so my wife bought me a pair of those boot 'chains' and they do work well!

Old 01-27-15, 05:30 AM
Super Moderator
We lucked out in Philly! We only got about an inch or so! Yay! I'm always thrilled when they get it wrong for the better.

Old 01-27-15, 05:46 AM
I'm disappointed a bit because I enjoy a big storm here and there. I haven't been outside yet, but I think you may have had about 6" around 7 am. It's snowing pretty good right now so we will finish with a bit more.

I find that the people who complained the most about getting a lot of snow and the same ones complaining the most about how wrong they were. You would think they would be more like you and thankful they got it wrong.

Old 01-27-15, 05:57 AM
The downside of the weather report being wrong is that people get the "crying wolf" syndrome feeling. Then when it's for real, the damage and injury takes place. And then the city, county and state gets blamed for not responding when needed. So they respond based on weather reports and get blamed for "crying wolf" and shutting down the city. I'd rather error on the side of caution.

Old 01-27-15, 06:19 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The downside of the weather report being wrong is that people get the "crying wolf" syndrome feeling
That's how it was in the blizzard of '93. The previous week they forecasted a bad winter storm that never materialized so a week later when they gave a similar forecast I ignored it - had too much to do! Woke up the next morning with no power and 3' of snow on the ground Between the snow and the drifts had I not known where to look for the wood pile - not sure what I'd have done.

Old 01-27-15, 07:11 AM
And, you can't blame the politicians, which I like to do, as if they ignore the hype from the forecasters they would be taking on all of the blame for a really bad storm. So they are trapped by the exaggerations of the weather people even though we know they often exaggerate.

Just shoveled the rear porch and steps so my little dachshunds could use the back facilities. Hard to tell how much we have with all of the wind, but would guess 6" with a long day of snow to go. Should get a foot, but not the 18 to 24 the weather people were excited about.

The bad news is there will be a 1 day break and another storm followed by another 1 day break and a third storm. Well at least I'm ready.

Bud

Old 01-27-15, 10:47 AM
The NWS doesn't hype their forecasts. They don't always hit the nail on the head, but they never try to make things seem worse than they think it will be. I think the politicians made the right move considering the sincerity of the NWS forecast. If this was the other way around, people would still be screaming and crying. No one understands how difficult it is to get these predictions correct.

Old 01-27-15, 11:03 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
you can't blame the politicians, which I like to do
There was a poorly titled article in one of the papers I read online - what the gov't intends to do about the upcoming storm I didn't know the gov't had jurisdiction over mother nature

Old 01-27-15, 11:56 AM
What bothers me about weather forecasting is the terms they use now days verses what they used when I was kid. Today, any weather disturbance is a storm. When I was a kid the term storm meant something (high wind, and lots of snow). There was no doubt about it. They wouldn't be able to forecast as accurately or as far into the future, but if they said a storm was coming or was in process, it was a fact.

Old 01-27-15, 12:04 PM
I also dislike their book of superlatives (if that is the right word) where every event has to be bigger and badder than ever before, ie storm of the century and so on. It used to be a 50 year storm or 100 year storm, but that just isn't shocking enough.

I had to laugh watch one of the meteorologists jumping into a not so impressive snow bank to try to look excited. But if they don't, I'm sure the program manager will find another who will.

Bud